Mont St-Michel - a spectacular island

Mont St-Michel
Bunbury, Australia
Mont Saint-Michel is an island commune in Normandy, France. We knew nothing about it and hadn’t intended to visit but we met someone who raved about it so off we went. We had no idea it was so spectacular. We were blown away and very, very pleased that we made the effort to go there. It was certainly a photographer’s dream too. Mont Saint-Michel is near the town of Avranches and is 100 hectares (247 acres) in size. It has been a monastery since the 8th century, another fact which blew me away. It is 600 metres from the mainland and if the tide is out, you can walk to the island on the causeway. However the tide comes in very swiftly and has been the cause of a number of deaths for those who try to walk across the sands from the coast. The sea-bed becomes very treacherous with a death-like grip if you sink into it. Sheep are grazed on the salt marsh meadows and ‘agneau de pré-salé’ (salt meadow lamb)is a local delicacy. The community of the Monastic Fraternities of Jerusalem replaced the Benedictine monks in 2001 and, while they are tenants of the centre, they are not involved in the management of the abbey. With 3 million visitors a year, 60 buildings listed as monuments historiques and on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites, Mont St-Michel is one place not to be missed if you’re touring that area of France. I’m sure you’ll recognise the place from the photo. You can see the causeway on the right of the photo. We walked out and caught the horse-drawn lorry back to the mainland. There was no fee to enter but the parking was exorbitant.
I have been to Mont St-Michel. Took a tour bus from Paris. Remember the winding path down with the shops?
Yes I do. There are certainly a lot of steps on the island.
I think that Mont Saint Michel is surely a place to visit if you are in the area. I always found this place a bit depressing, but interesting.
@LadyDuck @xFiacre I meant to put 'not to be missed'. Thanks for pointing out the error @xFiacre.
@JudyEv I thought you enjoyed and it was a typo.
@LadyDuck It's so easy to let a mistake slip through. I'm glad Fiacre picked it up.
@moffittjc (46130)
• Gainesville, Florida
This is a place that I've read about and seen photos of in many different publications, and is on my bucket list of places to visit. I had a friend visit there several years ago, and she loved the place. She also took lots of beautiful photos.
There are some incredible photos of it. We went back next day and stopped along the road trying to get good photos. Ours are nice but not stunning. I'd love to be one of the 50 or so who actually live there - although I wouldn't want to live there enough to become a nun!
@moffittjc (46130)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv I'm pretty sure by now you've long since disqualified yourself from being nun material!
@moffittjc Haha. That's true but I know a lady who was widowed and decided to enter the convent. The times they are a'changin'.
@sallypup (29276)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I've always wanted to visit this lovely place. Thanks for the interesting description.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is very popular and there were a lot of people there and every second one had a dog. At least it seemed that way.
@sallypup (29276)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JudyEv I would find the dogs interesting, too. Was there a breed you saw the most of?
@sallypup That's a hard one. Lots of Shih Tzu/Maltese types and Jack Russells. Also boxers, Bernese Mountain dogs, Border Collies - it's a bit hard to say but the small breeds seemed perhaps more prevalent than larger dogs.
@WriterAI (5263)
• Bulgaria
Thank you for your very informative post about this European place.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
@WriterAI (5263)
• Bulgaria
@JudyEv Let me go there too. It is on the our European continent.
@WriterAI Yes, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to get to see it. At least, you are a bit closer than we are!
@LeaPea2417 (22391)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have been there. Back in 1983, I traveled with a group of High School girls with our French Teacher to France for a tour. Actually, the trip happened right after I graduated from High School. It was really a graduation present. Mont St-Michel is fascinating.
That's great that you've been there. Did the photo bring back memories?
@LeaPea2417 (22391)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@JudyEv Yes, it brought back very nice memories, thanks for posting it.
@alberello75 (19284)
• Genova, Italy
I've always heard about this island. It is a spectacular place. I did not know however there had been victims! This brings me displeasure
It seems that the marshy areas can be very treacherous.
@alberello75 (19284)
• Genova, Italy
@JudyEv That island, if not I am mistaken, at certain times, can be reached by car, or other means "on tires". During the period instead of the high tide, it is necessary to go with boats. I didn't know there were swampy areas. On this I consider myself little informed
• Peoria, Arizona
Goodness sakes that is so gorgeous that foul words came out of my mouth from that picture. That is amazing!
I'm sorry about the foul words. I doubt I've affected too many in that way before!
• Peoria, Arizona
@JudyEv Haha I do have a foul mouth and when I see something amazing, I don't hold back!
• Denver, Colorado
Wow, that's stunning. Glad you got to see it.
We so very nearly missed it. We had no idea that it would be so majestic.
@antonbunot (9728)
• Calgary, Alberta
Beautiful! You know the first time I saw the picture . . I suddenly thought of a volcano. There must be a dormant volcano underneath the hill.
It is certainly a volcanic shape. The cross on the top seems very high, very close to Heaven.
@Fishmomma (11446)
Very impressive and thanks for posting a photograph. Mylot is a great way to learn more about other places.
I have learnt so much here - about all sorts of things. I'm now a more well-rounded person!
Love the photo. Sounds like such a nice place. I would love to see it.
It was spectacular to see it in the distance - almost like a mirage rising out of the salt flats.
@kepweng (19182)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
wow is these island or palace? who is the owner?
I guess it is owned by the French government. It started out as a monastery and there is still a religious group living there.
Very beautiful photo looks like a castle.
Very fancy place isn't it? And so tall with the cross standing so high above everything else.
That is an amazing photo. I would love to visit.
There are some stunning photos of it, depending on the light, clouds, etc.
@Jackalyn (7159)
• Oxford, England
I think I have been there. Your trip was amazing.
We certainly saw a lot of lovely places.
@xFiacre (5699)
@judyev "one place NOT to be visited .???.." Typo methinks? Cool place though.