Mental Health

Boston, Massachusetts
Sometimes I feel like I'm all alone in my struggles, but I know that I'm not... That I can't be. I have been struggling with anxiety and depression for about 5 years now. Everything came to a head about a year ago. There were days when I couldn't get out of bed. Days when I was scared to leave the apartment. Days when my partner was afraid to leave me alone. I'm trying to remain positive and recognize that I have come so far since those days, and am in a much better place. These past few weeks have been really hard though, and it's difficult not to get discouraged. Especially when my hands are shaking, my eyes won't stop welling with tears, and I'm so angry I could scream. Writing helps. Medication helps. Meditation helps. But it's still there, always.
I inherited severe, agitated, major, recurrent, clinical depression at age 21 after my kidney disease came back. For those of us with a genetic predisposition, a life event that is of a tragic nature gets that genetic bad stuff to rear its ugly head. I had the best of the best when it came to treating my condition, but all failed miserably over a period of 14 years. I became well due to the non-profit, Recovery, International since it was all I had left to try. I had exhausted all the medications and help out there. Thanks to Recovery, International, I have been symptom-free for 30 years. My sister also recovered thanks to Recovery, International. I taught for 33 years, and having gone through that type of suffering and conquering it made me an even better teacher.
It is sad when children are faced with inherited medical disorders. Thankfully medical science keeps on improving year by year - giving all a better chance of survival. Wonderful to hear of your recovery and your sister's through Recovery International.
• Boston, Massachusetts
thank you
@Kandae11 Thank you. Dr. Low, founder of Recovery, Inc., now Recovery, International, said, "When people have been from doctor to doctor, clinic to clinic, hospital to hospital, and they have no more money, they come to Recovery, Inc." They tried everything on me, but nope. Recovery, Inc. was started in 1937 by Dr. Abraham A. Low and is still going strong today. Amazing.
There were weeks and weeks I could not leave my unit. I cried day in and day out for no reason. I am blessed to have begun a better way of managing right now. You will come to grips with it one day. Until then you will have to find a way to ease the pressure each day. start with researching your medication. After I got off mine I got better. I was not aware of the crippling side effects.
• Boston, Massachusetts
thank you!
It is great that you have a partner who cares. I hope one day the anger and fears will go away.
• Boston, Massachusetts
thank you
Yeah, I feel you. I've also had anx/depression for 5 yrs. It's always a struggle. I agree that it can feel like you are alone because I feel that too sometimes. I think I feel that way because sometimes it's people around me who don't get it, or that people are not exactly the same way. I hope things get better for you, I bet the downs are exhausting. I for sure have lots of ups and downs, and right now I totally feel you.
You're definitely not alone. I've been suffering from both for almost 10years. It is always there, but you can do things to help, like you said.
This must be so hard for you. I know I really have no conception of how hard it is for you. I do hope you are able to overcome this.
I'm so sorry that you are suffering like this I hope you manage to find something to keep the depression at bay.
• Pamplona, Spain
Perhaps you could try Recovery International if they cover that kind of condition. You never know you might be able to get better treatment and cure yourself of it. I really hope you can.
@Bluedoll (17039)
Everything in the universe changes. It has to. Nothing stays the same forever. This too will pass. Believe it.