If I Never See Another Walnut......

@Morleyhunt (16683)
It will be too soon. The last two weeks we have been bombarded with a hailstorm of walnuts. They fall like bombs onto the roof. They litter the lawn....ready to become missles when the lawnmower shoots the into the distance. We have one large....heavily laden walnut tree overhanging the house. We have five more walnut trees in the fron yard, close to the house. Then there are six more, near the road and one more in the side yard. We have been collecting these messy bombs for two weeks. We sent some to the neighbours to be hulled and dried....but 36 five gallon pails later....he said....enough!!!! Since that day we've been dumping pails and wheelbarrows full near the ditch in the trees behind the house. The bounty is never ending....add to that the chestnuts, hickory nuts and the acorns...my hubby has vowed we will not be planting any nut trees near our new home. The photo shows the pails of walnuts the grandkids collected for me the first morning they stayed over.
Goodness me, what a harvest. They are much bigger than I thought they would be.
@Morleyhunt (16683)
They are the size of apples....when they are hulled they are about half the size of a golf ball.
@Morleyhunt That's a lot of waste then, isn't it?
@Morleyhunt (16683)
@JudyEv ...consider that a walnut is part of the peach family (I heard that once.)...only the nut is what we want to save. The walnut hull has a citrusy scent....how do I know?...IV spent hours analyzing while picking the darned things up.
Your walnuts are bigger that those we have here. I love walnuts and every kind of nuts, but too much is too much, I understand.
@UncleJoe (8557)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Is there no way to market them?
@Morleyhunt (16683)
@Platespinner Rats with fluffy tails...can you tell I'm at war with the squirrels.
@1hopefulman (20311)
Wow, that's a lot! Are they like the ones that we buy in the stores?
@1hopefulman (20311)
@Morleyhunt If you lived in Montreal I would take some off your hands.
@Morleyhunt (16683)
@1hopefulman everyone I've talked to who has walnut trees has mentioned the over abundance of nuts this season.
@Platespinner (18533)
That's just nutty.
@Morleyhunt (16683)
You climbed walnut mountain.....
@Morleyhunt Some people think I'm nuts. So it seemed fitting.
@1creekgirl (8737)
Wow! Are they black walnuts?
@Morleyhunt (16683)
Those are black walnuts...they are abundant this year.
@Morleyhunt I remember when I was little, seeing all the black walnuts in my father's parents' garage in Pioria, IL. Yes, I'm technically half Yankee. But my heart is 100% Southerner.
I wish I had everyone of those walnuts and all the nut tree`s.
@Morleyhunt (16683)
I'd love to send them your way...it just isn't practical.
Oh, so that's what they are! There is a tree in the backyard of near one of my client's homes. These green balls are scattered all over the place. Maybe I'll pick up a few to bring home.
@Morleyhunt (16683)
Those green balls turn brown...the 'juice' leaves stains that are difficult to wash off. I wear gloves when I handle them.
@Morleyhunt I have gloves in my car at all times. I will remember to wear them when I pick them up.
@Morleyhunt (16683)
@ElusiveButterfly that's a good plan... There is a reason that black walnut is a dark stain finish on wood.
@Ganma7 (2041)
My husband loves nuts
@Morleyhunt (16683)
My husband enjoys eating nuts....but the cleanup from the over productive nut trees has been an endless process this year.
@Ganma7 (2041)
@Morleyhunt I can just imagine. Sorry
@Ganma7 (2041)
@Morleyhunt Driving you all nuts
@Shellyann36 (8618)
Many years ago we lived at a place with a couple of black walnut trees. They always made a huge mess of the yard and we would have to clean up the nuts and the tree limbs before mowing the lawn. It was a pain and they are not easy to shell and get the meat out. It is quite a process. Did you know, that they also leach the soil of necessary minerals that will take away from any garden that you decide to plant near it?
@Morleyhunt (16683)
Yup....I didn't plant these trees.
@Morleyhunt They are so good when used in cakes. One of my aunt's old recipe books has a recipe for apple walnut cake. It specifically calls for black walnuts. They are rich and delicious but so hard to shell.
@fishtiger58 (30737)
• Momence, Illinois
Oh man I am having flashbacks lol. So far we have picked up 15 5 gallon buckets but we only have one tree. I think I might lose my mind if I had as many as you do.
@Morleyhunt (16683)
We picked 36 5 gallon buckets in 2 days....we've picked up at least that many since...like I said....hubby has vowed we will NOT be planting any nut trees at our new home.
@fishtiger58 (30737)
• Momence, Illinois
@Morleyhunt I can certainly understand that. I have had my fill of that mess.
That does seem like overkill ! It's a pity if they will be wasted.
@Morleyhunt (16683)
The squirrels will enjoy the mountain that we have dumped...Emmett @platespinner seemed to enjoy climbing the mountain.
@Morleyhunt Yes, I've read her post
Wow that is a lot of walnuts.
@Morleyhunt (16683)
There seems to be a bumper crop this year. I'm not the only one who has observed thT this is the most walnuts we've ever had. Wonder if that's a prediction of what winter will be like.
@Morleyhunt I wonder. It could be.
Way too many trees for my taste.
@Morleyhunt (16683)
Then there are the leaves.....
That’s one way to keep them occupied!
@Morleyhunt (16683)
It did keep them busy for a while...until they lost interst and started fighting about the swing....
I would make a killing if that could be eaten. I would make an add for a bag of nuts for $3 and let people come pick all they like. I wish that were my yard. After they sell out I would offer nuts to freecycle if they picked them up. I would love an apple tree. The amount of apples I eat is costing me big time.
@Morleyhunt (16683)
They can be eaten. The neighbour sells them....I'm not going to pick them up for him. Now if he would pay me...or pick them up himself.....
That must be one huge old tree to produce so many walnuts! Are these walnuts edible?
@YrNemo (8553)
I thought you used a wrong photo at first, but reading what you explained to JudyEv, I realized that the walnuts were truly THAT big! Sounds a waste if one could only take some nuts out of those big fruits! (One of my old place got 2 giant fruit trees. The young fruits dropping on the iron roof drove us nutty at times. Yet now that I am older, I do miss the sound a bit.)