Taking a Deep Breath

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Two days ago I ran away from home. I have spent most of October buried under the burden of putting together costumes for the cast of Alice in Wonderland. Card costumes have been constructed. Various head pieces and hats have been assembled. A caterpillar costume has been borrowed from another theatre (Hallelujah! I was drawing a complete blank on a workable solution to that). My “todo” list is still lengthy, and in reality, I could not afford to take any days off from pre-production preparations. However, my father has been in hospital since late July (he fell and fractured his hip), and I had not been able to visit since the end of September, and the earliest I will get another chance to slip away for a few days won’t be until December. On Thursday morning I spent a few hours working on my list of costume problems needing to be fixed, spent a few minutes packing my bag and an even shorter amount of time tidying up my mess before running out the door to collect my daughter from work. Once my mom-taxi obligations were fulfilled I abandoned my family and motored on up the interstate. I won’t say that I’ve left all of the costuming worries behind, but I’ve enjoyed visiting with my sister and her husband, and chatting with my Dad (he’s excited about moving out of the hospital and into a transitional facility next week). The sunrise this morning was superlative and a reminder to not let the pressures of the moment overwhelm my ability to appreciate my surroundings. Tomorrow I’ll be spending 10-12 hours sitting behind the wheel (traffic conditions can vary the time it will take quite drastically), but before the day is over I expect to be back home with my husband and kiddos. I’ll be diving straight back into Wonderland. Maybe I’ll get to come up for air again when opening night (November 10) is behind me.
That's a heck of a long drive - we couldn't drive anywhere in England for that amoiunt of time before we fell into the sea. Unless we went round in circles of course
It is a long drive, but it's not unreasonable for me to try to do it by myself in a day. When we lived in Alabama the drive was closer to 18 hours, that much I can't do in a single run anymore....
@jaboUK We can drive East for 3 days before we see ocean. 3 very long days. 24 hours just to get through Ontario!
@paigea My mind boggles at just how big Canada is, and the States of course.
It does get exhausting going at full speed all the time and I am glad that you were able to get away to visit your father, sometimes we all need to run away.
It is exhausting. Fortunately, things will settle down again in a couple of weeks.
@Morleyhunt (19720)
I've enjoyed your company. We've laughed...and laughed. We've shared deep moments and dark thoughts. We've cheered each other on...complimented and helped each other with some simple problem solving....Humpty Dumpty will look like an egg . Tomorrow morning we will and continue to do what we seem to do best. The next time we will be in the same house (unless something changes) will be at Christmas. Escape, can help....if only for a few days...Good luck with the costuming.
I definitely appreciate your help in coming up with a solution for Humpty. It's also nice to be able to laugh at the absurdity of life with someone who doesn't think I'm completely off my rocker.
That is a long drive for a short visit!
It's is a VERY long drive for a short visit. But current circumstances make being away from home for more than a day or two rather challenging. We do what we have to do....
@Platespinner Yes we do. 13 hours to drive to. Winnipeg to see family. We try to stay for 5 days but can't always manage too
I'm glad that you're getting a visit with your family up here in Canada. Safe travels on your way home. Stay alert and stop when you need to. Wonderland will still be there when you get back.
Thank you! I've done the drive by myself often enough that I'm no longer intimidated by it. I just know I need to get a fairly early start so I'm out of the mountains before dark. And I suspect there will be a significant amount of coffee consumed tomorrow.
• Riga, Latvia
Well best of luck to you getting it all done. Blessings to your Dad.
Thank you!
I bet Alice In Wonderland willl be errific whenyou get int oircuin next nitg
@kobesbuddy (43726)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Getting all those costumes ready, is quite a task! You will be thankful when it's finally over. Sorry about your Dad, but he must be healing up well, the hospital is letting him leave soon. That's great to hear. Drive carefully and stay safe:)
He's leaving the hospital, but no one really expects him to stay out of the hospital for very long. He is NOT in good shape.
@kobesbuddy (43726)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Platespinner Maybe assisted living is what he needs.
@kobesbuddy He is going to a temporary bed in an assisted living facility and will be going on the crisis list for a long term bed in a nursing home.
That is such a long drive. Hopefully the break will refresh you a little and your costuming duties will continue apace.
After spending a couple of days dealing with the hospital situation, costumes don't seem nearly as stressful...
@Platespinner Sort of 'be careful what you wish for'?
@bluesa (13427)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Take those breaks when you can. I don't know why but my life is busier than ever and I think time is playing tricks! I hope you get a bit more you time.
@Srbageldog (8356)
Sounds like you needed the break. I hope you enjoy your visit with your dad.