mLot guidelines: I have a question about honest discussions

@1creekgirl (11932)
A member wrote a post saying that the photo he used was his grandmother. Another member had just used the same photo and wrote that she was a famous actress in India. I asked the other guy if his grandmother was an Indian actress and he admitted that his post was a lie and would I keep his secret. Huh? I reported it, but it's still there. My question is, "Is it against myLot guidelines to lie about a story?" I would have no problem if he had just said, "Isn't she lovely? Reminds me of my grandmother." I can't abide a liar. But is it against the rules here?
That's not only dishonest, it's stupid.
@1creekgirl (11932)
That's what JJ said!
• Walnut Creek, California
I agree.
@owlwings (39749)
• Cambridge, England
There is nothing in the Guidelines which says that a person must be truthful but the Terms do prohibit content which "promotes information that you know is false or misleading". I remember the guy that @pgntwo mentioned. He became less and less believable as time went on and I think that I eventually searched for and found where he was getting the images (which were copyright, of course). I don't know exactly on what count(s) he was kicked out but I certainly messaged Alex about his use of coyright photos and pointed out his deception. I think that most people, including Admin, would take a very dim view of anyone persistently trying to deceive people! Not the kind of person we want here!
@sjvg1976 (18407)
Even I think the same. There is nothing in the guidelines that one has to write truth although copying images or content here is against the rules.
@pgntwo (22474)
• Carthage, Tunisia
It takes all sorts, @owlwings - for all I know, you might be a bored flight steward, sitting in the lobby of a hotel somewhere exotic, awaiting the crew bus to the local airport for your 14-hour tour of duty back to Blighty...
@owlwings (39749)
• Cambridge, England
@pgntwo Somehow being a bored flight attendant seems vastly more sexy than being a bored second-hand bookseller. Chance would have been a fine thing but those employment profiling questionnaires never suggested that. Forestry was one of the professions they kept coming up with but the nearest I got to it was selling the final product! I wonder when and why the home country (Britain in particular) became known as "Blighty"?
No, it isn't against the rules to lie in a discussion, but it is pretty stupid.
@1creekgirl (11932)
Thanks for the answer, JJ. I've blocked him.
@sishy7 (27598)
@1creekgirl It may not be against the rules but it certainly reveals his true colors and I won't be surprised if many members would want nothing to do with him anymore on here.
I can't answer the question but if I found out a member was lying in this way I wouldn't be reading any more of his stuff - ever.
@1creekgirl (11932)
Same here. I've blocked him.
• Walnut Creek, California
You mean you believe I actually teach Psychology in California? Buwaahaahaa!
@owlwings (39749)
• Cambridge, England
@1creekgirl I posted and THEN blocked him! He can't see my response or delete it!
@pgntwo (22474)
• Carthage, Tunisia
I am sure I could spin several different stories around the same picture, should I be so inclined... Not sure if the Guidelines forbid it - we had a guy here who spun amazing stories around the pics he got elsewhere... Usually implying how he had all these lovely young girls who just adored his company... As if!
@1creekgirl (11932)
I remember him, never believed him, think he got kicked out.
@pgntwo (22474)
• Carthage, Tunisia
@1creekgirl I think you are right.
That is just very dishonest and should be reported.
@1creekgirl (11932)
I reported it, but I think it's still there. That's why I wondered if maybe it's not in violation of the guidelines.
@1creekgirl (11932)
@LoriAMoore I'll definitely do that. Thanks.
This is the internet - he should have known that he could get caught - especially when this site has so many members from his country.
@1creekgirl (11932)
It was almost funny because the other post was close to his. And he had the nerve to want me to keep his secret.
Unfortunatly, we cannot say why we report something
@1creekgirl (11932)
Yes, we should be able to explain why we reported someone.
@1creekgirl I suppose we could if we wrote a mail to GoAsk Alice. ut it should be easier.
@marguicha @1creekgirl in the old mylot, yes, there was a box that shows up so you can state the reason, or give a link to the original article. since we no longer have it in this new mylot, you can send a pm to admin/goaskalice and give the link to the post you find questionable and state your reason
@kobesbuddy (55006)
• East Tawas, Michigan
It should be against the rules! Lying is a terrible habit, we shouldn't have to deal with on My Lot!
@1creekgirl (11932)
There's just a difference when we write a short work of fiction and everyone knows that's what it is and deliberately telling a lie in order to profit.
@kobesbuddy (55006)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@1creekgirl A lie is uncalled for, it's deceitful. Fiction is make believe and it's something most of us enjoy reading!
@1creekgirl (11932)
@kobesbuddy I agree
I do not know about lying in a post, but I do believe that pictures are covered by copywright rules so you should give proper credit.
@1creekgirl (11932)
That's true.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I haven't seen a rule about lying, I wouldn't do it but I suppose some do
Oh, I've definitely seen a few that are out-and-out lies. And I have gotten blocked for calling a few people out on them. Just part of my charm, I guess.
@1creekgirl (11932)
@JolietJake Sometimes you just have to call it like it is.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@JolietJake Yup you are a pretty charming guy lol,
@m_audrey6788 (15094)
Oh I think, I respond to that discussion of the liar and I responded that her grandmother looks like an actress
@1creekgirl (11932)
Yes, he got a lot of comments.
@1creekgirl I`m not so sure about false stories here too much because I know that you must post what`s in your mind
@1creekgirl (11932)
@m_audrey6788 Everyone writes little flights of fancy, but this was an outright lie.
@mysdianait (64056)
My foto is me me taken on a very sunny day
@1creekgirl (11932)
That's hilarious!
@mysdianait (64056)
@patgalca (14596)
• Orangeville, Ontario
That's on the lower end of identity theft. That's how it gets started though. He shouldn't have put off a picture of someone else as his grandmother. Is it against guidelines? Probably not.
@1creekgirl (11932)
I think it should be against the guidelines.
@Raelove (17579)
• Saco, Maine
@1creekgirl I agree that it should be.
ye it is i eing is always wrong darn whats with people canboit ayone just tell the truth?
@1creekgirl (11932)
All he had to do was say it was fiction.
@mandala100 (50408)
@1creekgirl That's simply dishonesty and I ask why will someone do that in the first place my friend? Thank you.
@1creekgirl (11932)
I guess he did it to earn money from the comments.
No, I don't think so because the post wasn't plagiarized. He just lied about the picture. That would irritate me as well.
would not bother to find out. I think It would be up to them to figure that out. I would not ask a question that I already knew the answer to either. I like commenting and moving to the next post. After reporting I would get into another post. I just don't want to waste my time on that stuff. I hope you enjoy your time here.
@1creekgirl (11932)
You're right, Sharon. I just hate to see someone profiting from comments and discussions for something that's a lie.
@bunnybon7 (37399)
• Holiday, Florida
@1creekgirl its like that guy that was here before and may still be. i blocked him cause every post he did had a photo of some sexy girl that he supposedly knew and he would pop in on my posts to type short answers under most of my responders posts;
@1creekgirl (11932)
@bunnybon7 I think he got kicked out.
@sjvg1976 (18407)
On any site copying an image is against the rules. I don't know why the image on that post was not deleted.
Copying an image is not against the rules as long as you don`t forget to mention where you got the images you post
@sjvg1976 (18407)
@m_audrey6788 but people normally don't mention the source from where they take the pics.
@sjvg1976 I think some are not aware on how because I also did forget to indicate it in my discussion box as I was thinking that when you already indicated it at the lower box where you were asked about the photos ownership will automatically appear but it didn`t appear so I corrected my post on my newly posts
• Walnut Creek, California
That's a good question. I'd think a chronic liar would fade into obscurity anyway.
@1creekgirl (11932)
I think people will be wise to him. Ot maybe he'll do better.
• Walnut Creek, California
@1creekgirl Do people really change?
@1creekgirl (11932)
@TheHorse I believe they can when it's in their best interest. But depends on what they're trying to change.