Two weeks! Are you kidding me?

Pleasant Hill, California
I've been working on this blasted corner for two weeks. It's on a pair of Dynaco A-40XL loudspeakers, and the corner was totally gone when I received the speakers. I've had to build it up using alternating wood filler and glued in veneer, and I'm finally at the point where I'll be able to finish it up over the next few days. The last step is to glue in the final pieces of veneer that will actually "show." I'm only charging the owner of the speakers $100 for the restoration, but hey, its a hobby, so I don't care that much. Of course I'll post an AFTER picture...IF I'm happy with the results. What are you up to on this sunny and cool Sunday?
• Eugene, Oregon
It is a foggy and cool morning in Eugene, so reading the morning paper and myLotting with plenty of coffee has been my morning activity. I would bet that your work comes out looking great!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I have the first piece of veneer glued in and partially sanded. I care more about getting a nice square corner than perfect veneer matching. That's not gonna happen. A little morning paper and a misty morning sounds relaxing.
• Eugene, Oregon
@TheHorse That it was.
@CoralLevang (39856)
Catching up on notifications, watching a couple of episodes of "House of Cards," and eating Butter Pecan ice cream for breakfast.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Did you have to mention butter pecan ice cream? I'll be right over. Do you have coffee?
@CoralLevang (39856)
@TheHorse of course I have coffee!
So how long have you done this overall? You seem to have a bit of patience working on these, not something I have a great supply of.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I've been doing it for about 12 years now. Yeah, patience is a prerequisite.
@GooglePlus (1296)
Sunday is gone. Tomorrow I have to report to office!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sigh. Tomorrow will be a busy day for me. But it's still today here.
@TheHorse How was your Sunday And you fixed that speaker corners ?
@TheHorse So when we are getting the new picture of it
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Heading to work.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Is it fun? Or just work work?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@TheHorse it's not horrible. I really enjoy working with the manager I worked with tonight so it made it fun
• Pleasant Hill, California
@thislittlepennyearns Oh, that's cool. A good manager is important--can make work be fun.
@kobesbuddy (16945)
• East Tawas, Michigan
You are very gifted, working with wood! $100 is a steal, for your friend! I can't wait to see your finished speakers:)
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'll take a picture of that corner after I've sanded it but before I've oiled it.
@kobesbuddy (16945)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse Awesome, I'd love to see it! Can I let Jay see it, also?
@responsiveme (14385)
I had a pleasant Sunday meeting up old friends.You are sure making sure it's going to be a perfect finish
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm going to leave it for a day or two now.
Out trying to watch football but we are experiencing a nor'easter so the satellite TV keeps cutting out.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That sucks. I use hard-wired Comcast. My internet goes out now and then but my TV seems to keep on keeping on.
I know when you get through with it . You will have it looking good.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It (they) will certainly be living room ready.
@m_audrey6788 (10749)
Wow! you`re restoring things like that is something great! I wish to see the finish one!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think I have a picture of that corner completed, but I'll also take pictures when I finally oil the speakers.
@DeborahDiane (15885)
• Laguna Woods, California
@TheHorse - I went horseback riding this morning, then we had one of our daughters and two of our grandkids over for breakfast. Afterwards, we went to an open house for some condos which we are interested in, and then went to a small gathering with my husband's golf partners and their spouses. It was fun, but now I'm tired!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Egads, how's your back? I'm not sure I'd get another horse.
• Laguna Woods, California
@TheHorse - My back is pretty good for my age (68). Horseback riding is great for your posture! Our retirement community is the only one we know of in the United States with its own stables and horses. I love the fact that I can ride regularly without the need to own my own horse, again!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@DeborahDiane Have you established a relationship with a particular horse? When I'm in the horse world, I always have a "best buddy."
I know you like to do this and it's even more fun knowing that you are paid for your hobby. I wait for "after" pictures.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I have a "during" picture, but I haven't edited it yet.
@TheHorse I hope you will post later. I feel groggy this morning. I am sure it has been the Bloody Mary I served with the Halloween dinner. The name and color sounded appropriate to the evening.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck Heh. Hope you're feeling less groggy by now. I'm just waking up.
@Daelii (1275)
I hope you are happy with it so you can show both a before and after to see what is done! So what kind of wood work do you do? One of my grandmother s friends use to carve statues out of wood. It was amazing the pieces he sent her!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I can't do anything that elaborate. I just restore old veneer...and replace missing corners using a combination of filler and veneer. I'll post a picture of these Dynacos when they're done.
@Daelii (1275)
@TheHorse Thank you!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Daelii I just sanded down what might be the final corner repair. It's time to start oiling.
That sounds like a real labour of love. With most hobbys it is impossible to charge fully for the time it takes.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. If I charged for the time I put in, I'd be rich, but nobody in their right mind could afford my work.
@TheHorse It was like that with the crochet work I used to do. I'd charge for the materials and add a bit for me.
Was suppose to go to the bank and afterwards, was suppose to do some laundry but I got sick - fever, coughs, and colds - so it is be rest for me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Hope you feel better soon!
@TheHorse still sick.
@1hopefulman (19623)
1hopefulman
Way to go! I just got back. This morning I went to my place of worship where we discussed Jesus' sacrifice and the importance of self-control.. This afternoon I went for a walk. Yes, it's raining and I used my big umbrella that covers me well. Then I went to the farmer's market and bought some tomatoes and some hot peppers. I was craving some hot peppers and I found some nice ones and at a good price.
• Pleasant Hill, California
They look yummy--I like my food spicy! I eat a lot of Mexican and Thai food here in CA.
@1hopefulman (19623)
@TheHorse I also like spicy food. A little spicy and it can make any meal taste amazing! Yummy!
• Marion, Kansas
We went to church, and a soup luncheon, and then we traveled home. This is encouraging to see your progress.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm finishing up my friend's bookshelves this morning Then I'll turn my attention back to the speakers. They're almost ready for oil.
huyst my yusyal mylotting that I do all the time
• Pleasant Hill, California
You did a lot of MyLotting?
I actually did nothing. I rested. I am sure that you`ll restore them back to perfection.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Well, at least the corner will be square. We'll see how my color-matching goes.
Thats a cool extra gig/hobby to have. Certainly the extra money will be nice good job.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yes, I like having a hobby that brings money in. My friends knock their little balls around a golf course and pay through the nose for it. But I suppose it's a bonding experience.