A Little About South Africa part 1 The Big 5

Johannesburg, South Africa
As I said in a previous discussion, I will be sharing somethings about South Africa. I think that I will try to dedicate one discussion a day to things about South Africa so that everyone can learn a little more. In this discussion, I will be sharing our BIG 5. The Big 5 In Africa, we have the big five game animals and they are The African Lion, African Elephant, Cape Buffalo, African Leopard, Rhinoceros The African Lion is an interesting cat. The females do the hunting, then the male eats first followed by the cubs and then the female eats. The male role in the pride is to protect the family. The Rhinoceros is one of South Africa’s most endangered species as hunters keep on killing them for their horns. The African Leopard is a beautiful cat, it is often mistaken with the Cheetah. The difference between the two is the Cheetahs have spots where leopards have rosettes. The Cheetah also has markings on their face, black lines that go down the face from the eyes to the mouth where the leopard does not. The African Elephants are the largest elephants in the world. And they have a concave back. Elephants used to be highly poached, however, in recent years the numbers have gone down, which is wonderful. The Cape Buffalos are known to kill lions which is strange as the Lion is one of the main predators here in South Africa. We have a variety of other animals here, however, these are the five that tourists come to see more often. Image Credit: Google Free To Use
@A_loves_B (1067)
They're great animals. So proud to have them on earth. Thanks for this informative discussion.
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Thank you, I agree they are great animals.
I had a very nice friend from there. She wanted to take me to her hometown and offer to pay my expenses. For the food I would love to have taken her up on that. But for so many other reasons I would not dare do it.
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Maybe you should try make a plan to visit sometime :)
Those animals are amazing; we have nothing like them here.
• Johannesburg, South Africa
What type of animals do you have there?
@Chantiele In this province, (Alberta) we have black bears, grizzly bears, mountain lions, big horn sheep, mountain goats, wolves, moose, deer, elk. Those are the big animals here
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@paigea That is a lot of animals. Which is Alberta's mascot animals?
South Africa really does have some of the most magnificent animals in the world.
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I would say I agree, but there are animals that we don't have which I love. Animals like the Panda, Koala and the ground dog just to name a few. I think that every country has some amazing animals we all envy :)
@Chantiele I am quite fond of the coyotes here. They are very timid creatures and afraid of humans, but I do enjoy them.
• Denmark
May these animals be protected well so that further generations can also see them.
@kepweng (6037)
wow thanks for sharing i want to ride elephant do you Try it?