Fraud Phone Call

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Yesterday when I tried to order my books after getting Freedom's Cry published, my card was denied, and I couldn't figure out why. I was going to stop by the bank to find out what was going on, but forgot when I went to the pool and then shopping afterwards. I was happy my card didn't decline at the store. As soon as I got home I got a phone call from the bank and the automated robot asked me about purchases and attempts that I made in the past several days. I verified I was me, and then called my bank to talk to a 'live' person and get it straightened out. My card was declined due to fraud suspicion. I verified I was the only one using my card and I had tried to make the purchase on the publishing site. They unlocked my card, though it didn't decline my groceries for which I was happy, and I was then able to go back to CreateSpace and order my books. This is the first time this has happened to me - getting a fraud call when I'm the one using my card. Has this happened to you, having your card decline when you're the one using it and there's no reason for the decline? I'm going to be going back to bed soon. I've been awake since 1:30 this morning due to a nosebleed that wouldn't stop for half an hour, and I gave up trying to go back to sleep and have been up since 2:30. In the meantime, I'm going to get some interacting done. I'm also a happy camper this morning as I have Freedom's Cry on Kindle and it was snowing when I went to the pool. The smile on my face is from ear to ear. I hope your day is going well. Thanks for reading.
@sugartoes (40759)
• Greencastle, Indiana
glad you got it under control & fixed, that's one reason why I don't shop online OR use a card to buy stuff I use cash & GO to the store to shop I know there's a lot of things you have no choice but to shop online with a card.
No one tapped into my account. I was the one using my card.
My elderly dad's card had a charge on it for over $1000 for essential oils. It took us two hours at the bank to have that situation remedied.
I'm glad you got it sorted out.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
Glad you got that straightened out. Now to the most disturbing news, " It's snowing" nooooooooooooooo
What's disturbing about that? You should be happy it's here and not there. Or are you sad it's not there too?
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
@just4him I am so not sad it's not here lol but you already knew that.
@fishtiger58 Yes, I knew that. Just wanted to make certain you weren't sad for me too. Besides, you could have changed your mind and liked snow. I don't see that happening, at least not until fish can live out of water.
It sounds like you were able to get this corrected. My husband had a charge on his credit card statement which he didn't make. He called and they couldn't explain it, so they fear that he's been a victim of fraud as well. They had to cancel his card and will remove the charge and send him a new card. The charge was to an American (.com) website that he and I have never heard of. We worry that he was part of that Equifax mess.
My son had charges show up and the bank called him and he called them back. The number was used in three different states on the same day. He also got a new card.
@just4him When my husband called, they had no explanation because the charges were not from here in Canada, they were from a US website. But, thankfully they will remove those charges. After that he told me that he'll probably just cancel that card-we don't use it really anyways.
@Juliaacv Good idea.
@Daelii (5636)
Yes! I do understand and appreciate the new security. It is however vastly annoying and embarrassing when a transaction can't be completed. Ours kept declining because it was used to much in a day compared to other days. We had literally did only a few purchases: 1 pay for gas; 2 grabbed coffee;3 gym membership (automatic payment), 4 car insurance (another automatic), 5; craft store, 6 shopped for house items; 7 lunch; 8 groceries and it was declined! congrats on your book!!!
I hope you were able to get them to accept the groceries. That's a lot in one day. Thank you very much.
@Daelii (5636)
@just4him we weren't! I was so embarrassed and mad! the next day we did and the company upped our "daily transactions" back to what it was. i still don't know why it went to the min limit!
@Daelii That's sad they didn't do that for you. It would be embarrassing.
@JustBhem (37417)
• Davao, Philippines
That's ridiculous. And are you okay now? How was the bleeding?
I'm okay, but I've had another short bout of nosebleed. It's all because of the blood thinner I'm on due to the blood clot in my leg. I'll be happy when I'm done with it in another month. Then the nosebleeds should be history as well.
@JustBhem (37417)
• Davao, Philippines
@just4him That is good to hear.
@HazySue (21364)
I haven't had it happen but I will be aware that it can now. In a way it shows that they are careful with your account. It was snowing when you went to the pool?
I'm glad they're aware, but wish they would realize that those places have been used a lot by me. Yes, it was snowing
@HazySue (21364)
@cahaya1983 (10053)
It hasn't happened to me before. That sounds quite strange but maybe they had reasons to believe that someone else was using or attempting to use your card details to make transactions.
I let them know it was me.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
I've had to phone my card carrier to confirm it was me. I appreciate their diligence.
It is good they are on top of things.
Gald you got your card sorted out. No, this hasn't happened to me and I hope it won't ever.
I hope it doesn't either.
Glad you were able to get it all straightened out with the bank but it's good that they are prompt at catching suspicious activity. I'm lucky that it hasn't happened to me
It's a good thing. What I don't get is that I shop at Wal-Mart all the time, and I've also used the publishing site successfully in the past to order books, so it shouldn't have been suspicious activity.
It happened to us on a trip to Hong Kong after we made purchase after purchase. American Express needed to be notified that we'd be out of the country. A simple phone call straightened it all out. Better safe than sorry.
Yes, it is better to be safe than sorry. I'm glad it was easy to straighten out.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I'll have to get the akindle version and read it
It's the last in a four book series. All the books are on Kindle.
@miketagz (7496)
Some credit cards hacked using spam mails, do not attempt to open sites even if its not spam, make sure that you can open safe sites. I will give you a tip. install authy and apply it to gmail account except for yahoo accounts. Im safe when I use this app on android, possible to use this on pc. The purpose on using this app is to protect your email accounts connected to your bank accounts.
I've never had my debit card hacked. It wasn't this time either. Thanks for the tip.
I know you like the snow so I'm pleased you're happy about it.
Thank you. I'm still smiling about it. I imagine for right now it will be an overnight thing as that's when the temps are lowest. So I was happy I got to see it.