Another black cat for Halloween

Bunbury, Australia
Although we don’t celebrate Halloween, I do have a photo of a painting of a cat trying to catch a butterfly. I’ve been wanting to put the photo up for ages so Halloween seems the perfect time for it seeing it’s a black cat. We saw this at a service station in Cherbourg, France when we stopped to get fuel. It was our last day in France – or at least we thought it would be but then the ferry was delayed for two days and we ended up going to England on a different one. We then drove to Fishguard in Wales and caught a second ferry to Rosslare in Ireland. For many passengers the delay cost them dearly as some had accommodation and tours booked. It didn’t matter too much for us and we were paid our out-of-pocket expenses.
Sweet painting. That ferry delay sounds a bit frustrating.
It certainly wrecked the plans of some holiday-makers but didn't really affect us too much. We thought we'd have a huge day driving to catch the next ferry in time but thanks to the lovely long evenings, when we came off the first ferry we got on our way and put an hour or so under our belt which left us a more leisurely drive next day,
@HazySue (21334)
It's a nice photo. I think it's nice in a way that your visit was extended for a couple of days. Even nicer that they paid your out of pocket expenses.
We had a very pleasant drive through Wales and a lovely meal in a pub before we boarded the ferry so it was all good.
@HazySue (21334)
nice painting.Remind me of a silhouette ?
Yes, I think that is what you'd call it .
I would have thought a zombie roo from down under!
Sorry - I couldn't find a zombie roo,
@moffittjc (43007)
• Gainesville, Florida
You, personally, don't celebrate Halloween? Or, you, as in all of Australia, don't celebrate Halloween? Regardless, I'm still going to say HAPPY HALLOWEEN to you anyway! It's my favorite day of the year!
Thanks for the good wishes. Australia has got more and more on the Halloween bandwagon but it wasn't around when I was a kid so it's not been a big thing for folks my age. But the kids here all love it.
@moffittjc (43007)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv Hmmm...the holiday does seem to be catching on in more and more countries these days. Any holiday where kids can dress up, stay out a little later than usual, and collect candy is certainly going to be a popular holiday!
@moffittjc It is and of course the stores go all out to promote it too.
@Deepizzaguy (13084)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Very nice image of the cat and thank you for sharing your adventure in Europe.
The little cat looks almost alive doesn't it? And thanks, I've enjoyed sharing our various escapades.
@Deepizzaguy (13084)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@JudyEv I have never been to Europe.
@Deepizzaguy We have a son in Ireland so that is a huge incentive to make the trip.
@Daelii (5635)
Thats a cute kitty! I'm so glad you were able to still enjoy your trip! I'd love to go to another country some time. My sight is set on Chile!
Chile would be awesome. I hope you get to go there one day.
@Daelii (5635)
@JudyEv me too! I really want to get to their easter island!
@Daelii that must be an incredible place. I don't know a lot about the huge statues but I think I read somewhere that there is more buried than shows above the ground - meaning each statue is actually much taller than just what appears above the surface.
@YrNemo (12668)
That image made me think of our 13wk old kitten. It could jump up to a meter or so to get anything flying insects. I was so impressed seeing it got a flying moth and munching on it later. Real ew moment!
They can be really quick can't they? I can't imagine eating a moth - eww indeed!
@YrNemo (12668)
@JudyEv for having such a bad taste!
Love the painting and there is no better time for using it!!! Travel in foreign countries can be problematic at times.
I keep coming across that little kitty and wondering how I can work it into a post. I almost left it too late!
@JudyEv Almost!
Very fitting picture for today. I'm glad you got paid your out of pocket expenses for the delay.
It would have been very expensive for some as they probably lost the money they'd paid for accommodation in Ireland.
@JudyEv I'm sure it would have been expensive for some of them.
When I went to England, we caught the ferry from Boulogne. Luckily, there were no problems, as we were on our way to a three day music festival. I would have hated to miss some of it because of ferry problems.
I can't imagine that they have too many problems with the ferries. Imagine the ruckus if a heap of fans looked like missing out on a concert!
Love the photo and glad that the delay wasn't a problem for you.
Some were getting very agitated. Two couples had driven most of the previous day from Belgium so they were tired to start with. They were some that had accommodation and tours booked so they were really starting to stress out.
@sueznewz2 (9997)
• Alicante, Spain
I love the painting ... I'm glad the ferry delays didn't bother you too much...
It's a cute little kitten, isn't it? It just meant we lost a day or two in Ireland but we had a lovely drive through Wales.
@responsiveme (16245)
Picture Halloween perfect
It looks like it could easily come to life.
Cute photo :) Sounds like it worked out better for you then some of the others.
It was relatively easy for us but for some, it was an expensive and stressful delay.
I love that. It is so cute. It is always frustrating when you depend on transportation and it gets delayed.
It was lucky we had nothing planned the other end. We had intended to fly to Austria as soon as we got back to Ireland so it was fortunate we hadn't gone ahead with that plan.
A shame those passengers lost money due to the delay. I do love that painting.
It's cute isn't it? Some had payed in advance for accommodation and tours which all had to be cancelled.
Love the picture, and you're right......this is perfect timing for posting it!
I've been waiting for a chance to post it and then I very nearly missed it!
@hereandthere (31090)
it's not celebrated in australia?
It is but it wasn't when I was a child so I've got a bit old and cynical and see it as another commercial gimmick to get money out of people. But the younger generations all indulge.
Neat picture. My cat loves to go after moths in the summer.
I watched my friend's dog chasing moths just a few days ago. It seems small things amuse small animals.