When a husband has to do the grocery shopping...

I've alwas been the one to shop for groceries and I know which store brands are good and when to buy brand names. I use a few coupons and have learned how to save money over the years. But since my surgery, my husband has been doing the grocery shopping. He's done pretty good with the lists I write out. But when it's something you don't usually do... I'm not complaining, glad he can do it. It helps when I'm very specific about what I need, but you know there can be several varities of dish washer tabs, not to mention tomato sauce! Then today it dawned on me: Take photos! Instead of writing this detailed description, just text the photos to his cell phone. I'm a genius! My grandmother used to write on her grocery list not only what she needed, but also why she needed it. They were so funny and sweet, I'm glad I saved one. I look forward to doing the grocery shopping again (I know, crazy, huh?), but my husband's getting better at it. At least now, he doesn't buy tons of sweets and junk food. Who does the shopping in your home?
@LoriAMoore (10049)
Hubby does all of the grocery shopping and sometimes we'll tear a tab off a box top or something to remind us which brand or flavor we like and take it with him to the grocery.
Anything that helps is good.
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
We usually do the shopping together
That's nice to shop together.
@1creekgirl Thanks
@UncleJoe (8608)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Then I'm sure you can appreciate this.
Jeanne is on Sirius & XM Radio this clip is from Jeanne's Southern Style! Jeanne's official website http://www.jeannerobertson.com SEE Jeanne Live http://jea...
Joe, I have laughed myself to tears! I really needed that.
Joe, I had heard of Jeanne Robertson, but had never heard her speak. After listening to the show she did on YouTube, I listened to several others. I don't know when I have laughed so much. It is so wonderful to hear a clean comedian. Thanks!!!
@UncleJoe (8608)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@1creekgirl They are the only kind I listen to. One doesn't have to be vulgar to be funny.
When husbands go to the supermarket, in my experience anything can happen The potos are a good idea.
Yeah, you never know what they'll come back with!
@1creekgirl Sometimes we would have never spent a cent in what they bring
We do the grocery shopping together. He did it when I wasn't able to and he did pretty good but like in your case he didn't know what brands to get or all the tips to save money.
Those are things that come with practice.
@1creekgirl yes so true
ME! if I send anyone else they wont use the coupons and bring back the brands I do not use, I write out the name brand if I have to send others to shop. Tony? junk food man.
Yeah, my husband used to buy lots of junk if he ever went in a grocery store.
It can be difficult for you when someone else does what you have been accustomed to doing for years . You would know exactly what looks just right and what doesn't, but I know that you are very thankful that he is there to do it for you.
You're right, I would be in a mess if he couldn't.
It is always iffy when you send a man to do the grocery shopping. I was sick the other day so I asked my dad to bring me something from the grocery store. I was concerned about him getting frustrated and just buying any brand so I texted him a picture of it too.
Good idea! Did he get the right thing?
@ridingbet (38053)
wow, i like your style of posting the pictures of the items you want to be bought. i sometimes do the shopping, and my sister too.
Photos are much easier than trying to describe it.
@ridingbet (38053)
@1creekgirl and i think when the pictures are in, they can show where the items are placed, like bread for pastries.
That's great that your husband can be so helpful. I think my husband may not do a good shopping for grocery. As he doesn't know the price for them because he seldom goes shopping. I may just go shopping online instead if I don't have time to do so.
On line shopping might be a better option for you!
@nangayo (2293)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I do the shopping in my home but i believe they can also do the shopping if given the chance.
Some men just seem better suited for it!
@sugartoes (34808)
• Greencastle, Indiana
never thought about taking PHOTOS of what to buy, I like that idea I'll have to remember that one if have my husband do the shopping. We both do the shopping together so I don't have to worry about what my husband buys if I can't go with him, he's pretty smart on what I buy & what I don't buy.
You've got him well trained, lol!
Vince often does our grocery shopping and he gets it pretty right most times. He seems to enjoy it and takes his time deciding on what we want whereas I go in, get what I want and head out again.
My husband and I are exactly opposite from you and Vince!
@xFiacre (10507)
@1creekgirl We take turns at it but we NEVER do it jointly.
Very wise, indeed.
My daughter and I share the grocery shopping so usually we don't have trouble but I remember my mom always shuttering when my dad would do the grocery shopping.
Typical male shopper, sounds like.
• Riga, Latvia
You really had a great idea with the photos. When my husband was alive we would usually go shopping together. Now that I am alone I just fill up my fridge mostly with frozen pizza to which I add additional toppings and shop very little. I don't like to cook for myself but I do manage to get something inside of me.
I know your heart's not in it since your husband's been gone.
@nomus24g (16454)
hmmm...role reversal
And I really don't like it!
Texting the photos using your cellphone was genius. My husband loves grocery shopping, but I write the list. I have a section on the list with the title "Do Not Buy," to prevent him from buying duplicates of what we already have here.
The do not section is a good idea. I always see things I had forgotten we needed.
@Srbageldog (5567)
My boyfriend and I do our grocery shopping together. We usually buy whatever is cheapest, unless it's something where the off-brand is very low quality, then we'll buy name brand.
Glad you can do that together.
@1creekgirl Tonight we went grocery shopping and it did not turn out to be a good thing...he was hangry and threw a fit in the store. I was so embarrassed. That's the downside of shopping with him -- he lets it be known when he is angry, and he lets everyone within hearing range know about it.
I do all the shopping at home right now as well as the cooking and...well let's put it this way, it's kinda, not, my thing:).
But that's so brave of you! Good to see you back.