95 Costumed Kids Came to My House Last Night

Halloween night had us enjoying 95 costumed kids coming to our door, and every costumed kid had parents in tow. Our record for Halloween costumed visitors is 107. We were hoping to break that record, but alas, we did not. To get a good look at America, one just needs to come to our neighborhood on Halloween night. We had children and parents of every race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, and religion come to our door. All the kids and all the parents were having so much fun sharing the joy of Halloween, TOGETHER! Year after year, the manners displayed by all the children on Halloween night are impeccable. The costume-winner of the night was the 2-year-old toddler wearing the best elephant costume we have ever seen. Such fun was had by all!
@Morleyhunt (17935)
We had 0. Same as last year I think the rural setting and long driveway are deterrents.
Yes, rural areas do not get many. We were very busy last night.
@Morleyhunt (17935)
@Corbin5 good thing we had no trick or treaters....I hadn't bought candy....too much running around for the senior.
We had quite a few kids come by for trick or treating but we still had candy leftover. Our favorite costume was a three year old dressed as a troll. She was adorable. The youngsters certainly get a kick out of Halloween
I do love the little ones in their costumes. Everyone was having such a great time, including us.
@nanette64 (15552)
• Fairfield, Texas
Did they save any candy for you @Corbin5 ? Maybe you should have sent some of those kiddos over to @JolietJake place since he didn't have too many.
I should have sent them downstate to Scar's house, for sure. We did have fun.
@sishy7 (27734)
Glad you had such fun and wonderful Halloween! I used to live in a neighborhood where everyone would celebrate Halloween. I'm glad my kids got to experience some Halloween fun back then because they sure didn't find them as much down here...
It is a fun time for adults and children alike.
95?? Wow!! I can't imagine that there was any candy left over!
I always buy more than we need because running out would have me panicking. My sister's dentist takes the leftover candy to send to the troops.
@Corbin5 Haha. That sounds as though the dentist is confiscating the candy!
@sishy7 (27734)
@JudyEv He wants more business from the troops...
@redurnet (1120)
Wow that is a lot of visitors! We only had three different groups with the largest made up of ten kids. The funniest thing was when a mum told me, in a completely serious manner, that her son was a "soul taker" and not a ghost.
A "soul taker" would have scared me!!
@redurnet (1120)
@Corbin5 He did look rather scary!
I am so happy for you as i know how much you enjoy those kids! Did you and your husband make your sister open the door and give out the candy since she is younger? I bet that child was adorable in the elephant costume!
Oh yes, we made my sister in charge. She was a bit panicky at first because Molly went to the door with her and she had to handle candy too. After a while, she was a pro at handing out that candy. Sis wore black kitty cat ears; Onyx would have liked that.
@Corbin5 Onyx would have loved your sister is that ears! Onyx knows when a person is special like your sister
• Riga, Latvia
Well how delightful. Sounds like such fun. Hey, with all those kids around I am seeing dollar signs. Wonder if I could live off of having a chance to be a babysitter making the rounds of all these kids. Just kidding I think. You know I want so badly to return to my homeland the U.S. that I would do anything to be able to make a living. Of course I will have to hope to get a regular job but hey I love kids. What part of the U.S. do you live in? Gotta start making plans now and I have no idea which way would be best to go.
You really could get a job caring for kids here. So many working parents would need your services. We live in a Chicago suburb, Downers Grove, IL. It would be wonderful if you could come and live in the USA.
• Riga, Latvia
@Corbin5 I have been to Chicago a number of times. You have a nice city. Something to consider. Thanks for giving me an idea to work on. I am going to need lots of help and advice before I make my move of course. The biggest think looking over my head is selling this house and my stuff. I just remembered I once had a boyfriend who lived with his family in a suburb in Chicago. That was one of the last times I was there so that was ages ago when I was still going to university in NYC.
@RasmaSandra There are many suburbs here that are lovely. Yes, it will be a lot for you to do before you can make a move to another place.
• Pamplona, Spain
Is that your front door? How lovely that all looks and no wonder they all went to you door. Such a lot of children and parents too. Hugs and so glad you had such a good night.
Yes, that is our door. The Halloween wreath is very gaudy, but Halloween is an "anything goes" holiday. I had a big stuffed bear with a pumpkin on the bench, a lantern, and lots of pumpkins on the porch too. Such fun to decorate for Halloween.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 What does it matter? You make that sound so very good. Its such fun to be in Halloween.
@Paige32 (1821)
Glad you had fun. I would love to experience Halloween. We don't observe/celebrate it here in my country.
It really is a fun holiday for all ages.
@Paige32 (1821)
@Corbin5 I can bet from what is sad about it.
@bunnybon7 (34495)
• Holiday, Florida
we had the same things here. i didn't count them though. daughter did all the handing out but the first one. it was still daylight and daughter was in her room, but i asked daughter to hurry and look. this little girl , about 10 yrs. was dressed like Sally of the night before christmas, rag doll. beautiful and so realistic. i told daughter i wish i had my camera handy, but she said the dad that was with the girl would likely not want me to photo her not sure why
Yes, taking photos of other people's children these days has parents fearing the photo may be posted online. Children appearing online could be in danger due to an online predator finding out where the child lives.
@bunnybon7 (34495)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 true. she was just so cute and perfect make-up for the part. you could not actually tell who she was. i mean i could see her walk down the street and not know it was the same kid. now that i think on it it could have been a boy. but looked just like Sally in the animated movie
Wow that's a lot of kids!! We only got about 25, counting family. But that just means leftovers for us (; Glad everyone was kind, that's how it should be.
Everyone was delightful. We had so much fun.
@Corbin5 awesome!
That's a lot of trick or treaters! We were out as always on Halloween, but I did leave a big tub of candy out - with a sign to take only a couple pieces. We also have a camera in which we can see from our phones who came. There were groups of kids, but not a lot of kids overall. In previous years, the kids seemed to have listened to my sign, so I expected to see a tub of leftovers - but by the time we got home, it was completely empty. I love Halloween, trick or treating, and the festive air . . . but I hate to say greed and such seem to be getting worse out here . . . I will have to think harder about what we do next year if we are out.
That is a shame that some took more than they should. It is hard to take our own kids out on Halloween and still provide treats to those who stop by.
@Corbin5 Yep - that's how we solved the dilemma . . . put a tub of treats at the door while we were out. The honor system was working great until now .
Well, that's 95 more than what I got. Well, to be fair, I don't offer candy so they wouldn't come here anyway Most communities here have both schools and churches that host halloween parties which makes a lot of parents a lot less likely to take their kids door to door, I guess it's the times.
They have parties here too, but I do think kids here are more interested in trick-or-treating, which I have to say, is a lot of fun.
I agree with that @Corbin5 I used to go to mom's house to help give out candy, it was fun.
What a shame not to have taken photos of all the 95 costumes. I am glad it was a great celebration.
Everything was moving so fast, and we, along with Molly's barking, had to be at the ready. Also, posting photos of the children of others online would not be appropriate unless permission was given, and no way did we have time to handle a camera or ask permission. Lots of princesses and ninjas!
@Corbin5 You are right, posting photos of anyone online without permission is a crime here, it's not something I would ever do.
That is great! It would be an intrepid kid who would wander up here at night! I would need a neon sign down by the road saying get your candy here!
It is so sweet to see all the parents and their kids having such a good time in our neighborhood. Lots of wonderful costumes too.
I miss living in a neighborhood sometimes, So your sister got her work out?!
She did!! She also suffered from sugar-overload the day after. She was so tired.
Your sister must have got quite the work out answering the door so many times-that's a lot of kids!
Good thing she ate a lot of candy to keep her energy up.
@ridingbet (40155)
we did not have the trick or treat event here. it was raining so hard.
Yes, the rain does keep a lot of people indoors for Halloween.
Glad to hear you had a bunch of trick or treaters.
We sure had a great time. So much fun.