"Do you think it is necessary for children to learn to cook?"

When my siblings and I in primary school, we started to learn how to cook basic food in the house. My biological parents wanted us to be independent as much as possible. They cannot afford to have a maid during that time. Of course, we were been supervised to cook in the kitchen department. Nowadays, children cannot even touch some plates to fix the table or cook for themselves. Any thoughts about it? Image Credit: pixabay.com
ABSOLUTELY! Children must learn since very young to be independent. If there is a problem in the house, they should be able to cook and to do the essential things by themselves.
I agree. My parents were so confident that we can able to cook food in the house while they are doing something. They can count on to their children.
@Shavkat This is how it should be in every family. You never know, your mom can be sick and need your help.
@LadyDuck I agree. We can help our mothers in times like this.
• Denmark
I think what your parents did was very good. I also learnt to cook basic things at an early age.
I think our parents did a great a job. It is all started at home.
@shubhu3 (13572)
• New Delhi, India
I feel children should be taught slowly slowly the basic cooking because like you rightly said that it is really good because it makes them more independent and confident.
Yes and both are very happy when my sister allows them to help cook :)
@shubhu3 I hope that some parents can still do the old ways. It is how the children learn and acquire skills.
@shubhu3 (13572)
• New Delhi, India
@Shavkat I agree with you.
Yes parents should teach their children to cook. My children love helping me in the kitchen and this is a skill they will need to know for the rest of their lives. =)
It is also a good activity for both the parents and children in a bonding moment. You are doing great in teaching your kids in the kitchen department.
@nanette64 (13730)
• Fairfield, Texas
You got that right @LovingMyBabies .
@1creekgirl (8699)
Parents should absolutely teach thei kids to cook. My mother never taught me, and my poor husband paid the price for it.
It"s ok , if they didn"t teach you how to cook. If you had pasion you can teach yourself ...and i know you did.
@1creekgirl I am sure you had learned how to cook with your husband. It is also nice to learn the basic way of cooking and do some experiments as the children grow older.
@ilocosboy (33267)
Once in a while I watched Masterchef Junior and it was really amazing to see these kids doing like cooking, baking, preparing among other things at such age. I think if its really their passion and talent no one can stop them but if its not their hobby at all it will be harder for them to cook even the simplest recipe.
Oh, isn't it amazing what the kids do on Masterchef Junior? I say my kids can cook some things, but not so elaborately like those little chefs . . . those kids impressed me with their talents!
@ilocosboy (33267)
I am watching and i am learning from them, plus the amusement that they give us,
@ilocosboy They can be so mature and it's obvious their cooking skills are quite advanced, but there are times with the attitudes and such that they are still indeed children .
@grofek1 (19)
My 2 nieces are always inteacted in cooking. I don"t know why but if they not, both start crying... so basicly they enjoy cooking a lot. 1 niece is 7 years old and other is 3 years old
Uhm I think they are too young. The most important thing is we do not need to force them. But we can tag them along while cooking in the kitchen.
@Shavkat What can i do? If they don"t interact they both start crying ...and i hate that :) So i give both just small tasks like bring eggs or open bacon etc lol .....that had feeling that help and its ok than :)
@Shavkat Yes hehe both are very helpfull
Yes I think everyone should know how to cook.
Mother knows best on this. My mom is quite lovingly happy giving away her magic recipe to us.
@yanzalong (8735)
You are right. Yes I think they should learn it as you said. Parents should teach them. My daughters can cook tge basic ones.
If I am going to be a parent in the future, I will teach my children how to cook.
@responsiveme (14417)
They must know the basics...absolutely
It is nice that you had agreed.
I remember back in high school the only viand was ever cooked with the help my classmates was dried fish pork or binagoongan. I think it's mandatory for kids to learn how to cook basic dishes at least. Wished my mom taught me how to cook, but even she didn't have time to cook.
I think I am lucky then. My mom chose to be hands-on during our childhood years. However, it is not too late. We can still learn how to cook with the aid of a recipe book or watch on youtube.
I learned to cook. My children learned to cook. I hope children are still learning that. We should all be able to take care of ourselves.
I hope parents should still be passed on the simple ways of cooking to their children. There is nothing to lose but to gain more skills in cooking.
@cahaya1983 (9505)
I think it's a very useful skill to teach kids. Once they develop the interest at a young age, it's easier for them to do things independently when they grow older.
I agree. It is a good training ground for the children. In time, they will be separated from their parents and can able to cook for themselves of being away from home.
I think as long as the kids dont do it on their own, its a good thing to learn and a nice family project.
It should be supervised by their parents. I totally agree with you.
I never taught our son to cook. He just came by it naturally, and I would just supervise when he was in the kitchen cooking when he was little. Instead of watching cartoons as a little kid, he watched cooking shows.
Uhm That's nice to hear. Some children are born to love cooking. I can also see my little niece aged 6 wanted to be a chef while playing her playdoh. I anticipate that she will be cooking some basic meals in the future.
Oh yes, it will do them well if they know how to cook. It is also for their own good.
I agree. They can use it to survive and able to cook within their budget while being away from home.
@redurnet (940)
I definitely think children should be taught how to cook and to be made more aware of what they are eating. I also think it can help them to be more independent. I remember my nieces coming to stay when they were about 8 and 6 and neither of them knew how to pour a bottle of milk. They were also confused about the idea of living animals being meat. I think the earlier they learn the better their diets might be too.
It is most likely that children living in the cities were shocked seeing the animals on the farm and can be eaten. I find it entertaining and willingly wanted to educate them. I have some cousins like this. They were all surprised while seeing new things that cannot be seen in big cities.
@Daveswami (196)
Nope not at all. But it is good to know how to cook. Plus it is kind of fun if you do it along with your friends and family
I can't wait for my little niece to lean how to cook. I am sure it would be fun.
@Shavkat yep it sure will be a lot of fun
It's good to teacher the children to cook,but the parents should consider their children's age and other situation,and know which cooking is suitable to let them learn,finally be care of their safety.
I am sure the parents are considerate when the children will learn cooking. But then, it can be still be done with full supervision.
@Shavkat I'm sure not all parents could consider these, what I'm not sure is how many parents. so It is necessary to remind them.
@galaxy2017 I hope they will, my friend.
@cherriefic (4279)
• Baguio, Philippines
Definitely! Children need to know the basics in case they have to do it themselves. I am still into the process of doing the same with my kids. I was thought how to cook early and it helped me a lot.
I do think that most mothers in our city Baguio teach their children how to cook basic food.