Coffee aggravates

United Kingdom
A couple of months ago my mam mentioned in conversation that coffee is bad for your skin. This information came to me at an opportune moment because I had had various painful spots and what can only be described as boils around my jawline for a few weeks at that point. That night I researched this online and found that while coffee is not in itself bad for your skin, it does aggravate pre-existing problems by creating changes in the body that can lead to skin issues. It increases the production of cortisol, which is a stress hormone, interferes with the body's ability to absorb minerals from food, and causes cravings for unhealthy foods. All of these can be triggers for acne and other skin problems. I read this article (link at the end) and it convinced me to give up coffee that day. Within less than 12 hours my skin was no longer painful and within a week it was clear! I kept this up for nearly a month (I was still drinking tea, but this had no noticeable negative impact on my skin) but for some reason I bought a jar of coffee a couple of weeks ago and of course my problem has come back... I know I should just throw the coffee away, but I hate waste and to be honest I like the fact that coffee makes me feel wired because I get so much done but once this jar is empty, I don't intend to buy any more. This will also help with my efforts to lose weight, because I won't be adding fuel to the fire that is my compulsion to binge on unhealthy foods Source:
Learn how coffee can disrupt your hormones, elevate stress levels, damage your gut flora, and impair digestion - all of which can trigger acne.
Well that is some solid evidence from you Lily regarding coffee and what it does. So yeah, will be good when its all gone. You can always have an odd cup here and there.
I try doing that but I'm not very good at moderation
@LilyBeBack Yes some days that is hard for me as well.
@TiarasOceanView It's the same reason I had to stop drinking years ago, I started again not long before I got pregnant (three guesses for how closely those two things are connected ) but thankfully I haven't got the time or energy for it now
That's weird, a month ago people were saying how good coffee is for us. I think everything needs to be done in moderation since they say at some point everything is bad for us... I can't keep track anymore.
It can have benefits in small amounts, like one cup a day, but I'm not very good at drinking just one cup a day... And of course everyone is different, so even one cup a day won't be good for everyone
@LovingMyBabies, I don't believe in everything I read.
@marlina Yeah, I'm the same way. I just eat and drink what I enjoy-in moderation.
• Pamplona, Spain
It can trigger headaches and acne and skin problems so I have read. Not that its me that is saying it. Seeing as it does not seem to agree with you I would only have the odd cup every so often. I have tea but that is not very strong tea either.
I think I'll have to cut it out completely and just stick to tea, I'm not good at moderation
• Pamplona, Spain
@LilyBeBack I know someone who has had to cut back coffee because of polyps in the intestine as coffee can aggravate the situation.
@lovinangelsinstead21 Seems like there are a lot of arguments for not drinking it
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
Sorry if this sound offensive, but you really made me laugh. You discovered that coffee may have a negative effect on you because of an existing problem, and yet you bought a jar, and you won't buy another one. Allow me to laugh, it sounds familiar. My wife and I have two kids, and we have been trying to have a third one but he/she is not coming. Someone said because we drink too much coffee both of us, that caffeine has to do with fertility, or something. So we stopped drinking coffee, just to follow the advice, like you, one month later, we were back on. I am a teacher full time, and I have some side jobs. When I drink my cup of coffee no matter the time of the day, I am kind of okay, and I do a lot. When I spend a day without drinking coffee, it seems something is missing. My wife can't resist it either. I am not sure if we are addicted to it or not, but I would say, I can't promise I will stop anytime soon
Hahaha that's not offensive, it's correct I can imagine with your busy life it makes you feel more lively when you have coffee! Good luck with your attempts to have another baby
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
@LilyBeBack Thanks. Hahaha, actually the idea of the third kid is more mine. I have two daughters + my wife, that's three women in my house. I never win. If I can have a boy, then that will be a bit okay. 2 against three. But if it's another girl that come, then I am doomed. 4 against 1, and i am not telling you about when my mother, or her mother visit. Yeah, I need good luck. Thanks
@chris2050 That's what it was like for my grandad for years, he had two daughters and then my mam had two daughters, but eventually my aunty had two sons and now I've got a son so it's a bit more balanced now
I don't like coffee so I'm not affected, but I found this interesting.
I'm glad people agree that it's interesting! This article was fascinating to me, especially when I first read it and I had these skin problems going on
I have not experienced ill effects from coffee, but I am sure many do. Glad you found that coffee is something that needs to be eliminated from your diet.
I was fine with it for years but on and off I would get bad skin problems, now I know why
@Sherinl (78)
Can you try drinking at least a glass of water (preferably warm) before having your coffee and see if it helps? I noticed when I did that coffee doesn't affect me as much ... this is because, water dilutes the effect of coffee on stomach lining and also brings down acid - alkaline imbalance ... a key reason for many problems with coffee ... However, 1 or 2 cups shouldn't aggravate ... just when it isn't in moderation I guess ...
To be honest I'd rather just not buy coffee any more I find it impossible to drink it in moderation, so it's best for me to just cut it out completely
@LilyBeBack Haha! Trust me ... I understand ... nothing trumps coffee for me ... even chocolates :P
@ourlot (993)
I don't notice any effect on my skin, no matter how much coffee I drink. Coffee makes me a human being in the morning.
Haha I thought that but I haven't had any for about two weeks now and I'm still human
@nangayo (2325)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Good you discovered this. At least you should stop taking coffee for now. Coffee can always be addictive if taken too much i avoid it very much.
Yeah you're right, I do find it very addictive!
That is fascinating. I had never heard anything about that. I don't drink coffee, but it's really informative.
I was surprised that it's not just the caffeine that causes the problems!
Or can you give it away to someoje you know? I also hate to throw any type of food or drink away. Feels wasteful. Best of luck with your weight loss! I am also trying to lose some. What are your goals?
My dad has just recently given it up because it was affecting his sleep, so I'm stuck with it for now but there's not too much left Thanks! I'm aiming for 2lbs a week, overall I need to lose about 40-50lbs. Good luck with yours!
@Scrapper88 (1332)
I do not know why, but I never started drinking coffee.
@A_loves_B (1616)
I don't drink coffee. But I have some acnes on my forehead. I guess it's hormonal problem caused by stress. Anyway, thanks for this valuable and informative topic.
The annoying thing about stress is that it sometimes doesn't even have a cause that we can find, but we can do other things to try to combat it like eating healthily and exercising
Would decaf coffee cause the same symptoms?
It's not just the caffeine that causes the problems so while decaf wouldn't be as bad as caffeinated coffee, it would still have some of the same results