"That which I greatly feared..." didn't happen!

Some of you know I was really, really dreading my first physical therapy session today for the surgery I had on my shoulder two weeks ago. Before we went, I took a Percocet, just in case. Then had to take some Benadryl for the nausea from the pain pill, so I was a little loopy. The therapy was a piece of cake! I know it will get harder and maybe painful later, but today was just passive range of motion movements. Haven't you found that the things we dread and worry the most about, often aren't nearly so bad? Now, time for a nap.
I think it is so common for humans to expect the worst. I think we need to think, "Do know that you don't know."
I've never heard that expression, but it's true.
I sure hope that common denominator about humans expecting the worst does not reflect on classifying most of the Human race cause I for one do not expect the worst @Corbin5
@enlightenedpsych2 Fear of the unknown causes many humans to expect the worst, I believe. That is why we often hear, "It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be." A lot of working oneself up goes before that "It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be." Now, it takes practice to not expect the worst by spotting "to know that you don't know," but worth the effort.
We can waste so much time and mental energy worrying about things and often our fears are groundless. I used to worry myself sick about some things but over the years I've learnt to worry less - mostly.
Yeah, I'm better than I used to be, but...
I am so glad the therapy went well but I am a bit concerned if numbing the pain receptors before actually working them out naturally through PT was a good idea for the over all healing PT is aimed at achieving ???
You know, I hadn't thought of that. I'll definitely check with my therapist about it. I don't want to hinder my progress.
@1creekgirl well as I was reading I thought, uh oh how are her pain receptors going to accept therapeutic intervention through intense activity if she cannot feel anything ? Good ask the therapist and let me know what he suggests
@1creekgirl okay do what your mind guides you as best but you know if it were me what I would do, huh ?
@Srbageldog (5463)
Every time I've had to have surgery, I was sure something would go wrong or I would never wake up. So far that hasn't happened.
Glad to hear that! I used to worry that I would wake up in the middle of surgery.
@1creekgirl That is another of my biggest worries! I have heard horror stories and am always terrified I'll wake up and be unable to move but still feel everything. It doesn't help that I was conscious once for a procedure that I was supposed to be knocked out for!
@Srbageldog Oh, my. I bet that was scary!
• Lakewood, Colorado
Haha good night then Vicki lol
Just woke up from an hour nap! Hope I can sleep tonight. Oh well, don't have to get up early for anything.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@1creekgirl Thats good you dont have to get up early Vicki..glad it was not too bad the therapy then xoxo
@TiarasOceanView Thanks, Tiara!
@cahaya1983 (9595)
Yes, I'm pretty sure that has happened to me a few times. I think it's common to feel anxious about uncertainties. I try to tell myself not to waste my mental and emotional energy on worrying too much.
That's sometimes easier said than done, huh?
@1creekgirl Oh yes definitely.
• Pamplona, Spain
Yes found that out this week. Anyway so glad that your shoulder is doing well. Keep doing the exercises as they are a must.
Thanks, yes, I'll definitely keep up with the exercises.
• Pamplona, Spain
@1creekgirl I used to crumple my face up in real pain but its the only way to cure it moving it again and again.
@Emmlex1000 (1516)
• Lagos, Nigeria
Thank God for the positive result in your surgery
Thank you so much!
• Lagos, Nigeria
@1creekgirl welcome
That is very true. Specifically, doctor appointments come to mind recently. I am so glad your therapy wasn't so bad
Thanks!
I'm so happy to hear that your first therapy wasn't so bad. Enjoy your well deserved nap
Thanks, Marilyn. Hope the rest of the pt sessions won't be bad, either.
@FayeHazel (11732)
I'm happy it went well and that you had some pills on hand to help out. Isn't Benadryl great?
It does help at times, rather than taking something stronger.
@LoriAMoore (9987)
Yes, I'm a worrier and I know better. The bible tells me not to worry and I know everything is in His hands. Hubby says, "Worrying never changes the outcome of anything, so why worry?"
Easier said than done, huh? Hope your pain is better today. I'm in the process of an implant, but I didn't have the infection. Hugs and prayers.
@BloggerDi (437)
I don't blame you for being really nervous before your therapy. Most people would be I think, me included! It's great that your first time is over with now, and that it wasn't too bad. I agree that most of the time, we create a worse scenario in our head than what ever happens.
I guess it's human nature to worry. But I try to remind myself that God's got this.
@cindiowens (3929)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Glad it went better than you thought. Yes, we tend to worry about things and USUALLY they are not as bad as we expect.
Most of the time we do waste a lot of energy worrying.
For me, I prefer to worry a bit and get a pleasant surprise, than to feel everything will be fine and then receive an unpleasant surprise. There goes positive thinking.
Never looked at it that way. Interesting.
@xFiacre (10489)
@1creekgirl I hope you're still feeling that way after your nap - physical therapy pain didn't kick in till the next day!@
Oh no! I'll let you know. Glad I still have a few of those bad boy pain meds.
Very true. I often dread something far more than necessary. Glad it went well for you
Appreciate that!
That's very true! I have worried so many times about things that didn't turn out so bad. I'm glad it went better than you thought it would today.
Thanks, Jennifer. I appreciate your prayers.
@UncleJoe (8527)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Yes. I dreaded getting my Lobotomy but now I don't kmow what I worried about.
@nangayo (2305)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Yeah we always are scared of what will happen instead of encouraging ourselves. Anyway it is just normal.