Ok, I Gave In At Last

By Jabo
United Kingdom
For years I have resisted having a flu jab as I was reluctant to put anything that wasn't necessary into my body. I would take my husband for his jab and wait while he had it, and always refuse when they asked if I wanted one. Since neither of us ever got the flu, or even a bad cold, I couldn't see what difference it made. However, last winter I had two quite severe colds (not sure if they'd be classed as flu), and my husband didn't, so when I took him this time I decided to have the jab myself. (Despite the picture I've used, it didn't hurt a bit) I'm still not convinced of it's efficacy, but it can't do any harm I suppose. Have any of you had the flu or a bad cold despite having had a flu jab?
I haven't had the flu with or without the jab. But I get the shot every year. Makes me immune to a few strains so it increases my chances of avoiding flu.
@paigea That's my thinking now. The trouble is that I won't really know if it works as I may not have caught the flu anyway. However, I'll know if it doesn't!
@jaboUK My girls had the flu when they were young. It was a time when so many were sick. They were sick enough I called the nurse. She said the hospital was so full that if I could keep them sipping liquids to keep them home. I dripped water into their mount, sponged them down and sat all night by them (first one was sick then the other). If I can improve my chances of avoiding that, I am in. I would not bounce back as quickly as they did.
@paigea I think that's why they want us older people to have it - the flu would affect us much more adversely than when we were younger.
@Asylum (47118)
• Manchester, England
I have never had a flu jab, despite being offered one every year. Like yourself I see no point since I am not prone to either flu or colds.
That was me until last year, but we'll see how it goes. The thing is (as I said in my reply to paigea)that I won't know if it works as I probably wouldn't have got the flu anyway.
@Asylum (47118)
• Manchester, England
@jaboUK True, there is no way of ever knowing for certain.
I have never had a flu shot, and I have never had the flu. My husband does not get a flu shot, and he has never had the flu either. Hopefully, the flu will stay away from us.
@Corbin5 My husband has been in a poor state of health for years, and the jab was recommended for him by his doctor. He also has one against pneumonia - that would probably kill him if he got it. But my health has always been good (fingers crossed), and the colds I got last year were unusual for me. If I'd just had the one cold I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but having two was the reason I went for the jab.
@jaboUK I think your going for the jab was a good idea. You may not have a bad cold this season thanks to the shot. Worth a try, anyway. So glad your husband also gets the pneumonia shot.
@Corbin5 Apparently the pneumonia shot lasts a long time, not quite sure how long, but he doesn't have to have it every year.
We have the jabs each year now and don't usually get colds - not that I can remember anyway. One time when we were due to fly overseas the doctor recommended it to protect ourselves from anyone in the aircraft that might be spreading germs around. That seemed a good idea at the time.
@JudyEv Yes that makes sense - being in an enclosed space like an aircraft would make you more susceptible. A similar sort of thing is when we stay in a hotel - we often get a cough or sniffles when we are in Spain. @LilyBeBack has interestingly told me that the flu jab is ineffective against colds - sheesh, the main reason I had it was to stop me getting colds.
@jaboUK If you disbelieve her maybe there will be a placebo effect and you won't get colds either!
@JudyEv Ok, I might try that!
• Denmark
I haven't had this up to now but am thinking about it. We hear that it's advisable for older people to get a jab.
@MALUSE Yes, they've been telling me that for years.
• Eugene, Oregon
@MALUSE I resisted for years too, until I was very ill about then years ago with the flu. Now I get one each year and also got that pneumonia shot that lasts for years.
@JamesHxstatic My husband has the pneumonia one too, and I was offered it, but then the nurse found that she hadn't any in stock.
@Jackalyn (6677)
• Oxford, England
I already had flu this winter and last winter I was in hospital with some form of it. Unfortunatlely, my understanding was you cannot have it till you are 65, but now I learn my asthma would have meant I was classed as vulnerable so I have a visit to the doctor planned.
@Jackalyn Yes, I think anyone who is vulnerable can get it. I'm 77 now and have been eligible since I was 60, but haven't felt the need to have it before. But it sounds as if you need it.
@jaboUK And anybody who is a carer or lives with someone highly vulnerable. I get it for free because of Husband, and also partly because I only have the one kidney.
• Eugene, Oregon
@jaboUK In the US, people of all ages are eligible to get a flu shot and it is recommended for all.
Never had one, my sister had it and was very sick. She had an auto immune disorder and so do I.
@marlina I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I'm surprised that they gave it to your sister if she has that condition. I've had no ill effects from the jab, and nor has my husband.
@jaboUK To me, it is very scary to get that shot.
I had my flu shot for the first time this so we will see what happens.
@Happy2BeMe Yes, I remember talking to you about it. It'll be interesting to see if either of us contracts any cold-related things this winter.
• Pamplona, Spain
Just the sniffles is what I get every so often but not a full blown cold or flu. I have had the flu before a few times but I think its good to have the flu to build your defense against it. My Mom had the flu jab every year and she got more colds than she did without it.
@lovinangelsinstead21 That's interesting what you say about your Mom. If I get any colds this winter I sure as heck won't get another jab.
• Pamplona, Spain
@jaboUK Another lot of people have said the same. Maybe they have an allergy of some kind but I donĀ“t know. I am trying to keep away from it too.
Cold and flu are two different things, people often say they have flu when really they just have a cold. Anyone who's ever truly had the flu (I haven't, at least not since I was a very young child but I can't remember it) knows the difference because the flu completely knocks you off your feet, it affects the entire body (unlike a cold which shows its symptoms above the neck) and leaves you unable to get out of bed. If you have a cold you can still get up and even go to work or whatever. The flu jab has nothing to do with the common cold
I have not had it and don't think I will get it until I feel it's needed.
@LovingMyBabies You are still young so your immune system should be working well. We older people are more vulnerable.
@jaboUK My immune system is good but that's not the case for all "younger" people. My husband was born with a low immune system so he gets sick very easily.
@LovingMyBabies Oh right - would he be eligible for the jab? It's free here for older people, and also for people who are vulnerable.
I usually get the flu shot. One time I did not get it I did get the flu.
@Hannihar That's interesting, it obviously works for you.
@jaboUK Yes, I get other things, but, not the flu. Even when they say after you get the shot you can get flu symptoms but I do not get those either.
Having the flu jab just lowers your chances of getting particular strains of flu, so you can still get flu. I've had one {the vaccination, not the flu!} every year for a few years now; this year it just made my arm hurt a lot.
@Poppylicious I'll be annoyed if I get one of the strains of flu that I'm not protected against!
@jaboUK Me too! I think I did the year before last. That was highly horrid.
@xFiacre (10461)
@jabouk I too resist letting my body be infiltrated by substances. Of course I have no objections to ingesting inordinate quantities of sugar and fat .
@xFiacre 'and day'? what does that mean? I eat too many sweet things too
@xFiacre (10461)
@jaboUK Oops, That Now Reads 'Fat'!
I have never had the flu and have never had the shut. My husband gets the flu shot every year.
@jstory07 So your household is similar to how ours was. I'll be interested to see if I get any colds this winter.
@jaboUK I hope you stay cold free.
I've never gotten the flu nor have I had anything super serious during the months of flu season. Bronchitis once and a sinus infection or two, but nothing like the flu. I've also never gotten the flu vaccine.
@NJChicaa I'm 77 now and have resisted the jab for years, but I really was quite ill last winter.
@jaboUK They say it is best for those who are older to get the vaccine.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't think I've ever gotten one. I think I get enough antibodies from snotty little kids sneezing all over me. Yesterday, I said to one, "Thanks for the bath."
@TheHorse Oh yuck
I haven't had a flu jab for ages ,bird flu period included.However many have it for the sake of "better safe than sorry".
@changjiangzhibin89 It might be as well to have it Chang.
I stopped having colds 13 years ago when I changed my diet to 80% fruits and vegetables.
@Kandae11 That's great, I'm glad that works for you. I'm afraid my diet isn't all that good - I don't like a lot of the foods that are good for me, including vegetables.
@acelawrites (10750)
I had the flu shot some three years ago, and I was happy I didn't get a flu since that time. I didn't know if it was due to that flu shot.
@acelawrites Did you only have the one shot? I think it's only supposed to protect you for a year.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I don't do the jab. Haven't since I worked at daycared
@thislittlepennyearns What has the daycare got to do with it? Did you see some bad results from it?