We can’t forget because we don’t

@sol_cee (13566)
Japan
I’m a worrier of a mom and everytime my kids don’t feel okay, the doctor is where I always feel safe. The doctor is the go-to person, despite his/her ridiculous fee. Then came along the latest episode of The Good Doctor, a famous ABC tv series. One of the residents made a mistake and killed her patient. Shocking for me. What’s more shocking was when the head doctor confessed to making mistakes (killing his patient in the process) not once but four times! Shockers! I bet others have more. How sad. So I realized that most of the time, we are all really clueless. Regardless of our profession- whether a teacher, a saleslady, a parent. Even a doctor. We all make mistakes because we are not sure of the next step. Our years of expertise can just be a junk full of theories. I know I wouldn’t sleep well knowing I killed someone by mistake. We pay for the consequences. We can’t forget because we don’t. The question is how we deal with it. Anyhow, this week’s episode of The Good Doctor is another hit for me.
I love the Grey's Anatomy but I might check out The Good Doctor soon. Like you I am a worrier. And i used to run to my son's doctor whenever he was sick. Lucky me my sister is an OB Gyne and her best friends are all doctors. So my son's Pedia is our close friend and I could call her anytime even in the middle of the night. I trust her with my son's life as she has saved him from deadly illness not only once but twice. But recently, I have learned that there's more powerful than the doctors who can keep my son safe and that's God. Maybe you can call me religious but these days when my son is sick I turn to prayers and God never fails.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Do you also happen to know Dr. House of House MD?
@sol_cee I don't.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
That is very sad about the doctor's errors. I'm sure many inadvertently kill their patients. But until something better comes along, doctors are all we have.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Inadvertently. Still sad Judy-san. Still sad.
The show is demonstrating in an excellent fashion the good, the bad and the ugly of professionals who are STILL practicing medicine and not getting it completely right. It is hard to convince that 3 dimensionality in the world of medicine is truly a gift MOST doctors, nurses, even scientists do not possess . . . Thank goodness for characters like Dr Shaun Murphy who offer true hope
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
I didn't know he is British, Freddie Highmore I mean. His American accent is convincing. ;)
@sol_cee I did not know Freddie Highmore was of British descent . . .
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
@enlightenedpsych2 He is! His interview with Jimmy Fallon about his being British was hilarious.
@vandana7 (57466)
I'd say guilt should be carried if there was an intent, or if there was some carelessness. Lack of knowledge, or inadequate experience, does not amount to "killing". After all, the person is there to learn, and acquire experience. Pretty much like a learner's license for people learning driving. So killing in accidents are due to panic, not intention, or carelessness. Low reflexes. Preoccupation. When overconfident, then it is a crime. Otherwise, not.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Oh no. They can't just practice on me or my family or friends. They shouldn't get their license unless they're 100% ready.
@vandana7 (57466)
@sol_cee We are human. We err. Even those who are 100 percent ready.
@YrNemo (8455)
I had planned to become a doctor but God knows how forgetful I could be, He decided to shift me to another path (or I might have murdered many by now ).
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Dr. Darcy Nemo. Sounds cool. ;)
@YrNemo (8455)
@sol_cee doesn't sound creepy enough!
I haven't seen that programme - is it a documentary or fiction? Any human can make mistakes whatever their profession.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
It's an American TV series Janet-san. And the main character is Brit. ;)
@cttolledo (2337)
• Batangas, Philippines
Its true no one is perfect so as the doctors. Thats why their job is so critical.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
They have to be perfect because our life is in their hands. My take.
My daughter now a doctor love watching that and Grey's Anatomy and another Doctor show. But going back on your topic, I will be forever be hounded by my conscious even if by mistake I have done wrong to a person, how much more mistakenly killed him / her.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Have you watched The Good Doctor together?
@cahaya1983 (9415)
Forgetting is the hardest part, for sure. Even if we can forgive ourselves for a mistake, forgetting is a totally different story. I can't imagine how hard it must be for doctors, dealing with human lives.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
True. That’s why some doctors retire so early in life. Or change careers.
@responsiveme (14417)
Scary, isn't it? Because we sort of feel safe with doctors. With kids growing g up it is an asset to have elderly People who can give good advice based on actual life experiences....What is called grandma's remedies.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
And I tend to take my own poor advice.
We are all imperfect humans and we do make mistakes, some smaller than others. We just do the best we can and pray for the best.
@ridingbet (37889)
i am a fan of HOUSE, of the British actor Hugh.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
A curmudgeon he is but I find him irresistible. Lol
@ridingbet (37889)
@sol_cee he is, but i like how he solves a medical problem by seeing things happen right under his nose.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
@ridingbet I miss him. lol
@JustBhem (22370)
• Davao, Philippines
I am still downloading the Episode 6 of The Good Doctor. I really like this series. One time, in the center during our session. One of the patients there was having difficulty breathing. She was complaining about her heart since nurses are very busy. They asked for the Doctor to check on her. The Doctor seemed like she doesn't care about the patient, instead, the Doctor said she need to go to the ER for further test. A simple check will be okay but the Doctor refused. During those times it makes me wonder, Doctor doesn't care if we are going to die. Sad. I thought Doctors should save a life.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Why don’t you watch it online? Downloading something might harm your laptop.
@JustBhem (22370)
• Davao, Philippines
@sol_cee Because the boyfriend wants to watch it too and sometimes Internet connection is very slow.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
@JustBhem Makes sense.. ;)