Hereditary Disease and IVF

@YrNemo (8765)
Read a case of a lady who married to a man who was fighting with cancer. They were in love and wanted to have children by IVF. She was successful after his death. Would you have done it, knowing that those IVF children you might have there, might carry the inherited gene mutation from their dead father, which would make them suffer later? I wouldn't for sure. How about you?
I wouldn't have done it but I wouldn't want to bring up a child without a father. I don't think I'd be good at that.
@YrNemo (8765)
Some prefer that way, many of us won't. One has to be practical, some ideas sound beautiful in thought, but cause too many problems later.
I probably would, if it was my only chance, and his only chance. But that's because I'm a sentimental fool. I can see lots of cons, but it could ultimately have been the same situation even if they had been able to conceive naturally.
@YrNemo (8765)
100% true. You are sentimental OK, your husband is very lucky to have you.
@YrNemo Oh, bless you! I do agree though ... He is exceedingly lucky to have me!
@YrNemo (8765)
@ridingbet (38163)
hmmm, i first thought that IVF means Intravenous Fluids, then i realized it is In Vitro Fertilization. i think the woman who had the IVF is taking her chances that none of her kids will have the dreaded cancer.
@YrNemo (8765)
risky regardless. I know an IVF kid here, in his 20s, who has been fighting with cancer on/off.
@ridingbet (38163)
@YrNemo oh, i am sorry. maybe the genes are also in it.
@YrNemo (8765)
@ridingbet I feel very sorry for that kid! But cancer in general has never been very considerate to anyone.
Love can do strange things. I'm sure she wanted a child to remember her husband by.
@YrNemo I wish we could find a permanent cure for cancer.
@YrNemo (8765)
@cacay1 (32158)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
That is cruelty letting the kids suffer when they grow up. I would never do it .
@YrNemo (8765)
Some people don't think too far ahead, but that is why you are a successful career lady .
@cacay1 (32158)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@YrNemo , you are right, there are some people that never care the feelings of others.Thank you, my friend.
@YrNemo (8765)
I'm not too certain the child will inherit the gene, but I would want my child to grow up knowing it's daddy.
@YrNemo (8765)
I like your way of looking at things, your way of explanation is more diplomatic than mine .
No, I would not have done, why should I pass a disease to a poor innocent child only for the desire to have one.
@YrNemo (8765)
Alas, not many people so in love, are clear-minded enough to foresee the future. I know an IVF case right now who is not sure he would live past the age of 40. He has been fighting cancer for a long time. A very bright young man!
@YrNemo This is so sad, those parents should know better what they do.
@Emmlex1000 (1417)
• Lagos, Nigeria
The child will be free from cancer related disease
@YrNemo (8765)
Would be nice if it was so, right?
• Lagos, Nigeria
Well, if it's genetic there's nothing they can do. I'm just glad that the only thing I inherited was the gout / uric acid thing.
@YrNemo (8765)
Fascinating, I never knew that gout was often inherited. Thank you for pointing that out. (So sorry to hear that you have to keep the uric acid level in your body under control.)
@bunnybon7 (33169)
• Holiday, Florida
having cancer does not always mean the kids will have it. nothing is for certain in genes
@YrNemo (8765)
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
No, I would not. I would not want a child to suffer if I could have a say in it.
@YrNemo (8765)
I wouldn't either if I could help it.
I would not want to risk passing on a gene mutation to a child.
@YrNemo (8765)
@sjvg1976 (14716)
If I were in her place I would have done it . There may have been possibility of having the same risk if she might have delivered a normal child.
@ilocosboy (33306)
Sometimes love is the hardest thing to understand, you know what will you become but you still do it.
@YrNemo (8765)
You reminded me of a man who was so in love with a hemophiliac carrier, that he determined to marry her and having children with her. He knew very well the risk, being in medical field himself. His children, two are hemophiliac patients, constantly having blood transfusions. The whole family suffers! I asked him why he did it (having children, if he knew the risk), he smiled sadly, said something similar to what you said above. I admire him and his love for his wife/children.
@ilocosboy (33306)
sometimes we know what will happen but still we are hoping something can be alter to make it a happy ending, sigh.
@YrNemo (8765)
@1hopefulman (20483)
Wow, what a question? I would need time to think about whether the process of in vitro fertilization is one that I could accept, first of all. I never thought about it because I was never in the situation where I might have to do that. But since I don't see me being in that situation, I think I will not spend any time thinking about it. What is the point?