If it is not genetically inherited, it is your diet . . .

braid
Hi there folks hoping everyone reading is enjoying a good day ! The title of the post, if you read between the lines, encourages you to scratch your head, run your fingers through that mass atop your head and hopefully smile at texture, strength, shine and nourishment that can be both seen and felt, because I am willing to discuss and boast if you will on how thick my mane of natural blonde hair seems to have become since eating better. Alopecia (the genetic condition that results in hair loss at a 'more rapid rate than 'normal') can occur through a variety of problems or reactions to other conditions. Things such as dermatitis, drug use (street and prescription), endocrine system disorders, hereditary factors such as chromosomes from mom n pop, physiological disturbances and radiation exposure. I am truly grateful to my maternal side of my family which has rather mixed degrees of strength, shine, length, and density of the hair shaft itself allowing me to trim a bit and grow back stronger and healthier hair without rendering too much damage if a sulfite added shampoo gets into it ! But my best defense against dirt, grime, environmental pollutants is making my hair shafts less like a magnet to attract but a reflector to detract. What I mean is I am thinking what better way that I have been eating in the last decade and 17 months is really demonstrated in my healthy mane ! I once believed as you aged you just simply lost your hair and that is honestly just not true UNLESS and of course there is a genetic inheritance issue only to be managed not easily reversed nor removed. So what are your mane issues, satisfied with amount and characteristics of a healthy head of hair or do you wish it were different ?
I've had various lengths of hair in my life. Younger, short, early adult, long, older adult, short and shorter. I like the length I have it now. It looks nice on me and is easy to take care of. It's thick and according to my hairdresser, healthy too. Yes, I do color it. I would be completely silver otherwise.
Ah I am betting a Sensational Silver @just4him ! but there are some Native American myths I read awhile back that discussed how length of hair made one closer or further away from their rooted spiritual well . . . ever heard that ?
@enlightenedpsych2 No, never did. When I saw my hair the first time I was happy it wasn't that gunmetal gray, or even that very white, white. It's silver, and should I ever let it grow out, maybe in another 20 years, it should look very pretty.
@just4him yes it should ! and I give ya another 40 years Valerie !
I sometimes think my hair is thinning a bit as I age. It is longer than I've had it for a long time so perhaps what I lose is just more noticeable.
Yes as we keep it long while we age the more loss of it is noticeable but as long as it is healthy in shine texture and breakage resistance, then you yourself are a relatively healthy individual or so I have been told . . . thanks @JudyEv for stopping by and adding your experience
@Ithink (10500)
I used to have really thick hair that I really loved, has really thinned out in the last 3 years since I got sick. It used to be down my back to my butt and really pretty. At least I still have hair thou. lol
Oh I am sorry to hear, rather read, of you being ill that it would make your hair shafts suffer. May I ask what ailed you and are you managing better ? Is there anything I can suggest to keep your tresses lovely @lthink ?
@Ithink (10500)
@enlightenedpsych2 Severe Anemia I think we talked about that at one time, as I have to have liver and such along with high iron vegetables.
@Ithink yes we did and I remember now, so the greater need for iron in your blood must be rendered through the consumption of beef liver and leafy green vegetables ! I LOVE a good steamed spinach over rice with a side of beef liver sautéed in onions BUT since beef and I do not get along anymore biologically (it is hard to explain), I have to opt for another liver and so far none have pleased my taste buds ! Any suggestions ?
I have thick, shiny and healthy hair. I keep the hair shoulder long and I dress the hair in a pony tail most of the time.
Ooh I simply adore the ponytail style as it is quick and still looks mighty cute on both of us @LadyDuck !
@enlightenedpsych2 I also adore this style, also a French twist if you have to dress up more.
@LadyDuck the French twist looks really sassy on me and I rarely do sassy anymore UNLESS there is someone who wants to show me off . . .
• Uzbekistan
For my advanced age, I have thick and healthy hair although I have had it dyed for decades. The hairdresser likes it and compliments me on it. I do nothing special for it.
It must be attributed to healthier water, air and food and better genes in your family and if you don't mind me asking do you prefer to wear it long past shoulders or short above them ? If I am being nosy just tell me so . . . @MALUSE
• Uzbekistan
@enlightenedpsych2 My hair is short. Look at my photo. You can see it ending under my ears.
@MALUSE okay dokay was not sure if that is a recent photo or from awhile back, but I appreciate the clarification. By the way, you sport a nice hairstyle, the length and color fits you perfectly and the hat, an elegant touch !
I have extremely thick curly hair that is very healthy. I like my hair and am thankful for the hair that I have.
I like your hair it looks as you mentioned and a perfect frame for your cute face @Happy2BeMe !
@enlightenedpsych2 awww thank you
@Happy2BeMe ya welcome
@Shellyann36 (11273)
I was using Pantene shampoo and conditioner and my hair was falling out like crazy. I literally had hair intertwined with the stitching of my clothing. No matter how many times I used the lint roller, I would find stray hairs somewhere. Since I have changed my shampoo my hair does not fall out nearly as much. An example of this would be: when I was using Pantene, I had to clean my hairbrush of stray hairs daily. Now, I only clean my brush on a weekly basis.
It is possible that PANTENE is full of parabens, phthalates, sulfates and harsh cleansers that absolutely destroy the shaft making it brittle and breaking easily @Shellyann36 so I am glad you are not using it anymore. Have you heard of YUCCA and PLANTAIN Anti-Breakage Strengthening Shampoo made by SunDial Brands and sold by SheaMoisture dot com ?
@Shellyann36 (11273)
@enlightenedpsych2 I have heard of SheaMoisture but not SunDial brands. I will check into it. Thanks for the info.
@Shellyann36 SunDial brands LLC is who has rights to distribute it through SheaMoisture dot com . . . same product
I had a healthy long hair before, although it didn't get thinned out, it got coarse because of the chemicals I made them suffer through. I bleached, dyed, rebonded, permed, and generally just killed it. My friends would tell me it was still better than theirs but I was so disgusted with its coarseness that I decided to chop all the coarse hair off. Now, I'm making a promise to my hair that I'll take better care of them and not go through harsh treatments again.
@enlightenedpsych2 I actually am using coconut milk right now to bring back my hair’s health we have lots of coconuts here
@marapplestiffy and that is a great oil to nourish the hair, what about egg yolk for shine and elasticity ?
@enlightenedpsych2 I would love to try that but I have to put it off until Sunday because my whole week is fully booked with school work and my part-time work...hehe
• Hungary
I have endocrine problems, unfortunately, and I have hair loss at a huge amount. It's not visible since I have a lot, but it got more thin and weak, it's really hard to make it more beautiful ;-; Fortunately I got some shampoo from my mom that makes it more softer more silk-like, and it's damn working :D
As long as you can keep Sodium Laureth Sulfates out of your shampoo, the more hair to keep will start happening and as far as endocrine problems, it might be your diet. How is that by the way @rosieros02 ?
• Hungary
@enlightenedpsych2 Oh thank you! Well I'm eating normally, just less, also I'm avoiding bread, I eat mostly salads, if I have time I do make some tasty meat. And I take meds.
@rosieros02 sorry to hear you are taking medications . . . eating less but healthy is best but also eating according to your own blood type guidelines is the surest way to prevent disease and keep the three areas of the body working most effectively !
People my age would have sparse hair on our heads and most of us get a bit thin on top.I remember I went grey in my forties.
Ah so perhaps in your family there is a family gene involved for sure where premature greying is discussed, @changjiangzhibin89 , this is good to know for people who may not understand why they are turning grey at lest say 28 years of age ?
@enlightenedpsych2 Yes,premature greying has to do with heredity. My son began to turn grey in his 30s.
@changjiangzhibin89 most of the time there is a genetic component explaining the premature greying; however more and more studies come out that even the chemicals in our food, water and air can also damage the hair shaft and its biological chemical components making more grey tones than natural blonde, brunette or red
My hair is thinning at the front and my mom and one of my aunts had the same issue, I think genetic.
When your disappointed in that thinning action what do you do to nourish the hair shaft @BelleStarr ?
@enlightenedpsych2 I do nothing, I figure it is what it is.
@BelleStarr "it is what it is' is okay with you ? Why ?
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
always had thin hair from both sides of family. but otherwise pretty good shape
and on that beautiful smiling kind of quirkily smirking face, it frames BEAUTY @bunnybon7 !
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
@enlightenedpsych2 thank you. photo is from way back. right now my hair is almost completely white though
@bunnybon7 ah sparkling !
Diet is a huge part of how healthy our skin and hair are. My issue is I have fine hair with a little curl. The curls always curl the wrong way and the fine hair part makes it hard to train and stay in place.
You are correct @Carmelanirel2 about diet but many people do not follow the proper way to eat and obtain the greatest nutritional value for their bodies . . .
@BloggerDi (925)
Thanks for sharing this good info. My hair was always very curly and thick. When I was ages 48-50, I went through several very stressful experiences. That's about the time I started having perimenopause symptoms too. My hair got very thin during that time! I was upset because I thought it would be permanent. I'm 54 now and thankfully, I've regained much of what I loss. I do need to eat a healthier diet though, no doubt about that!
Good and bad to hear that the stresses involved in perimenopause have particular hormonal reactions that cause our hair too thin, common but frustrating. I appreciate you @BloggerDi for coming over and offering your experience demonstrating how emotional response affects physical changes, i.e. after becoming more calm, hair growth rejuvenated itself. I love our bodies when we understand them ! Don't you ?
@enlightenedpsych2 Yes! And I appreciate and agree with your positive and grateful attitude. Good health and our amazing bodies shouldn't be taken for granted!
I've been blessed with a full head of hair and a nice and wavy shine
. . . which frames your beautiful face ! Have a wonderful holiday celebration with your family Marie
@Namelesss (1538)
• Thomasville, Georgia
Hi Erica! Just found this and enjoyed the following conversations as much as your original post. I thought you might find this fun. When I was younger I worked in a bacon house where we made and packaged bacon. I am convinced bacon grease (yes, bacon grease) is just about one the healthiest things in the world for hair. LOL Haha, absolutely everyone who worked there for more than a few months had the most loveliest head of hair, all full of shine, luster and strong. And I haven't even mentioned our complexions - glowing. But no, I don't put bacon grease in my hair, lol. These days while it is turning a beautiful silver shade it is also thinning. I think my problems these days is simply stress. There's a lot of that with my husband's health issues still on-going. Hugs to you and sending you wonderful vibes for a Merry Christmas!!
Stress @Nameless is certainly a terrible factor that if not managed effectively can in fact wreak havoc ! Silver is a beautiful festive kind of color so go with it and enjoy its brilliance and thank goodness you do not put bacon grease into your hair
Hi, this is a really interesting discussion, because not many people seem to realize that healthy hair is an indicator of overall health, unless, as you said, hereditary factors enter the picture. Even if one suffers from hereditary alopecia, I believe good eating habits and a healthy diet would help, wouldn’t they? I remember an 80-year-old cook who had much stronger hair than a teenager! While his nephews had started losing hair, probably due to poor dietary habits, his hair was like a brush! I was really amazed, and I have also noticed other chefs, cooks, and culinary professionals enjoying healthier hair and overall health. That has definitely something to do with nutritional knowledge. Personally, I think eating some parsley every now and then can work wonders.
Parsley is a wonderful beneficial spice that is high in iron and vitamin C as well as great for conditions like halitosis (bad breath) and a bruise mender !
My hair is weak and falling out at this time. Stress will do it
Yes stress if not managed correctly will wreak havoc on all parts of our bodies and I am sorry to hear your stress management is not working well enough in that the hair shaft is weak and falling out @TiarasOceanView
• Midland, Michigan
I wish mine were curlier on it's own, but I've always had straight, fine hair instead. I did use curlers when I was younger and I permed it from time to time before I was forty, but in recent years I've kept it short. I don't bemoan any aspect of my hair other than it's straightness. Even though I'm over sixty it isn't falling out more than it should to my knowledge.
The fact that it is NOT falling out more noticeably than ever simply means you are balancing your nutritional and activity needs and keeping above the destruction . . . of even a microscopic hair shaft !
• Manahawkin, New Jersey
Thanks for the great advice. Your hair looks awesome. Great discussion topic! I am happy with my hair, it's my crows feet, and smile lines that are bothering me! I am wondering if your change in diet has also helped your skin?
Actually when I get a pimple even at my age, excitement soars as yes the skin has improved yet it was never really bad. Since I almost never wore or wear make up, I have been blessed with almost flawless. A good suggestion for reducing crows feet and wrinkles is Vitamin E, a capsule broke open with a pin and smoothed over the fine lines will actually regenerate new skin cell growth and using a loofah sponge exfoliates naturally ! You look great too hair and face so we both are doing something right @simpleliving3251120 !