What Did You Read in October?

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Life has been busy, but between doing school with my daughter, listening to audiobooks while driving, and reading on my kindle during the wee hours of the night when insomnia would otherwise get the better of me, I have still managed to add five more books to my list for the year. 69. The Road from Home by David Kherdian A memoir of the Armenian holocaust around the time of WWI. 70. The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages Historical fiction about a young girl whose father is working on the Manhattan Project 71. Vienna Prelude by Bodie Thoene Historical fiction covering the events leading up to the Anschluss of Austria prior to WWII. 72. A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers Historical fiction set during the early 80s AD 73. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque Historical fiction from the perspective of a German soldier during WWI. At this rate I won’t be able to match the 100 books I read in 2016; such is life. What did you read last month?
I've still been working my way through An Echo In The Bone which is Book 7 in the Outlander series. I really only get to read a bit on the weekends now that I'm back to work. I'm almost done with this one. I hope to finish it this weekend.
I tried starting the Outlander series a while back but didn't make it past the first chapter. Life was a bit topsy turvy at the time and I couldn't focus long enough to get into it.
@Platespinner It took me several chapters to really get into it. Now I am obsessed. It is sooooo good!
I have read several DIY books I bought. One each week by James Patterson or Stuart Woods. I do not have a goal, I just read. I have been very busy with 2 jobs and the homestead. Life has been hard this year.
I don't really have a goal. Last year I found myself already in the 90s at the beginning of December and decided to push for triple digits. In the last couple of months, I've been listening to more pod-casts than audiobooks, and what time I did have for actual reading has been greatly curtailed.
@shivamani10 (10786)
• Hyderabad, India
Most of the books I read are scientific ones only and subject oriented. The number ...is a very very small figure ..in 2 digits.
in 2 digits for the year or for the month?
@xFiacre (10506)
@platespinner Walter Brueggemann' s Sabbath as Resistance, Gaito Gazdanov's Spectre of Alexander Wolf, Ezekiel (by Ezekiel) and Guillaume Musso's L' Instant Présent. All excellent
That all sounds rather cerebral. Not that I'd expect anything less from you. .
With all the other stuff you've been doing, I should think you'd be quite pleased with your progress.
Three of the books on my list were completed as part of school with my daughter. One I've been reading on my Kindle for a couple of months and one was an audiobook I listened to on my weekend trip to Canada a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it would be possible for me to make it through a month with nothing on my list.
@Platespinner We've 'inherited' some audio books from my brother and we've listened to a couple on the two-hour trips to our home town. They are well-read as a rule aren't they?
@JudyEv I've been listening to audiobooks since my kids were small (it was a very effective way to keep them from bickering) and have found that the quality of the narrators varies significantly. I have an Audible membership that allows me to listen to a sample before committing to a particular title. We've listened to a few books over the years that made my kids announce that I was a better narrator than the individual on the recording.
@Morleyhunt (16761)
Read? In October? I honestly don't remember. I clearly didn't write it down.
If I didn't keep track of what I read/listen to on my phone, I'd never remember either.
@Morleyhunt (16761)
@Platespinner normally I keep track, but somehow last mon I did good to read, let alone track what I was reading.
@Morleyhunt I wonder why .
Al Capone Does My Homework ( Audio Book) The Year of Living Danishly by Helen Russell
Those both sound interesting. Did they live up to their titles?
@Platespinner I read a few pages of the Al Capone one while subbing in a grade 6 class and I was intrigued enough to want to read it. It was a good story but dragged on a bit in places. It was interesting to listen to the information about children growing up on Alcatraz Island, because their fathers were prison guards and had homes on the island. The year of Living Danishly is about a journalist who's husband got a job with LEGO. The book is about adapting to a new place, learning about Denmark. And learning why the Danish are rated as the happiest people on earth. She is a good writer so it was easy to read and entertaining. I would recommend it.
@paigea thanks! I'll add both to my to-read list
@peachpurple (10708)
I am ashamed of myself, I had been busy with mylot that I didn't spare a time in reading any books
I went through a stretch where the only reading I did was online stuff. I'm much happier when I make the time to read books.
@peachpurple (10708)
@Platespinner I wonder which online site is good for reading
No novels or anything like that. Just my weekly magazines and the newspapers.
I rarely look at magazines or newspapers .
I read 5 books including an Agatha Christie.
Which one of her novels did you read?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I can't even remember if I finished more than one book last month. Poo
• Lakewood, Colorado
Nothing much..mostly just a few recipes lol