The story of the first Thanksgiving.

Banks, Oregon
I got curious about the whole story again. So, I looked it up on the history channel website and, Wikipedia, the first Thanksgiving, at least as most recognize it, was in 1621 at Plymouth rock, between the Pilgrims and, the Wampanoag Indians, after a very hard journey on the Mayflower during the dead of winter, where about half the crew of 102 passengers died from exposure, scurvy and, other out breaks, the Indians then taught the very sick men and, women how to farm corn, extract sap from maple trees and, catch fish, after the Pilgrims first successful harvest they had the first Thanksgiving feast, which is believed to of been a meal of Duck, Goose, Venison, Corn, Porridge, fish, lobster and, last but not least everyone's favorite today wild turkey, back then though it's believed duck was the center piece. Another interesting note is in 1863, during the civil war between the North and, the South. Abraham Lincoln declared that there should be a day of Thanksgiving each November. Some information verified at Wikipedia and, the history channel website. Photo is from Pixabay free images.
@responsiveme (14361)
Thanks for info
You're welcome and, thanks for reading.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Very very interesting..I did not know any of this TR, thanks for sharing this most excellent post.
Thank you my friend and, you're welcome :)
@cacay1 (32062)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TiarasOceanView ,there are so many Thanksgiving days in your country, my friend.Regards from Noknok.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@cacay1 Noknok eats thanksgiving dinner too hahaha
So, that's the story behind thanks giving. I wonder if chicken can be use in thanks giving dinner because we don't have turkey here.
Yes, Chicken or any bird can really be used also ham.
@cacay1 (32062)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Letranknight2015 , that is why God bless America for they never miss to thank the Lord for a blessing that comes their way.
I used to teach that in school. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!
It's one of my favorite too.
It's always good to relive the reason behind Thanksgiving to give us more reasons to be thankful. Thanks.
Amen my friend, always love history.
@ilocosboy (31706)
I think I watch a movie about this Thanksgiving, its the story of turkey, I just forget the title of the movie but its a animation.
I think I have at some point too.
Some of my relatives came over here on the MayFlower. So they took part in the first Thanksgiving.
Probably same here my friend.
@Srbageldog (4780)
Both sides of my family claim that we had relatives who came over on the Mayflower. I don't know if that's true or not, as they never have specific names and to my knowledge no one has actually traced our family line back that far; but, it would be cool if it was true. I have always loved the Thanksgiving story, and it's interesting to know what kinds of food they would have eaten at that first feast. I would have never thought of lobster! Can you imagine how difficult it would have been preparing all that food back then, without modern conveniences like electricity and modern ovens?
I wouldn't be surprised if my family came over on the Mayflower and, yes that would be quite the feast and, a lot of work, but they were tough old timers.
@TRBRocks420 You know, if you think of it, I wonder how many of us have ancestors who were Pilgrims. I would be interested in tracing my family tree back that far and seeing if we actually did come here on the Mayflower. I have some Native American heritage too, but I don't know what tribe or what part of the country they were from.
@Srbageldog I will have to ask my brother he studies all of the family history.
@FayeHazel (10731)
Thanks for sharing -- sometimes I forget how difficult life was in those days
You're welcome and, yes being on the mayflower in the middle of the ocean during the winter. I wouldn't wish that on nobody.
@FayeHazel (10731)
@TRBRocks420 Oh no... I'm quite happy to be alive today and not then :-)
@peachpurple (9600)
thanks, I will look further into the history too
You're welcome and, enjoy.
@TRBRocks420 sure do
The food that you listed makes complete sense given that this was held on the east coast. Duck isn't as easy to prepare as turkey is, that's probably why turkey prevails today. These were interesting facts, thanks for sharing.
I have never had Duck but hope to try it someday. Love turkey though and wish we got lobster lol.
@TRBRocks420 Personally I find duck to be a rich meat.
@cacay1 (32062)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
That is why there is always Thanksgiving there in America and you owe them to President Abraham Lincoln. He was a great US President.
Yes, he was my favorite US President.
@cacay1 (32062)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TRBRocks420 many loved him.
I know the story of Squanto and stuff, but did not know that it was Lincoln that made it a national holiday. Interesting.
I just learned or relearned that too very interesting and, another reason to like Lincoln.
@noni1959 (2594)
Thank you for sharing. That was an amazing feast.
Yes, I would love to recreate that feast one day.
Thankful that Mr. Lincoln declared a day of Thanksgiving to be celebrated each November. That first Thanksgiving had some pretty good foods to enjoy.
Yes, he was a good president and, it would be cool to repeat that feast.