Do you believe in Superstitions?

@chris2050 (1342)
Manila, Philippines
I know every place had its own superstitions, some people choose to believe in them (I don't know why) some choose to ignore them (among whom I belong). A friend of mine got a child with his GF some months ago, so he popped the question you all know. Now, I don't know if it was because of the child, but who care? He did it anyway, which is the most important, some men run away. The problem is that, the girl is okay with the wedding, but not this year. The reason been that, her sister got married earlier this year. There is a Filipino superstition name "Sukob" according to which, if you get married the same year that a close relative of yours got married or died, you will experience a curse. So the girl want to wait. Their couple is experiencing some issues because of this, as my friend (who is also a Filipino) think this is non-sense. I have been telling my friend just to wait next year, as there is nothing to do about this situation. Though I find this quite funny as a reason to postpone a wedding.
@ilocosboy (37290)
Some superstition are based on the experiences of our old folks so I think some are really true. But some are baseless that it is just a product of wild imagination or part of their story to the children long time ago.
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
Thats exactly the problem. We don't know which one is true, and which one is baseless, or part of their childhood stories. In my case, I just find them very funny and sometimes senseless. In this case, I don't see any connection between the marriage of a relative and a curse the same year. Marriage is a happy moment, and it's a moment of joy. Why having two marriage the same year in the same family has to do with curse? It make no sense for me
@ilocosboy (37290)
It should be diminish now, just like the superstition about taking a photo that when you are three in the photo it is not good thing to do
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
@ilocosboy Hahahaha, what if I have only one child, and I want to take a picture with my wife? Or if I visit my Grandparents and I want to make a picture with them? Those things are kind of funny for me. Most of the times, I am like: "Who in the earth started this madness in the first place?" but I have no answer
If she believes this superstition, the best is to wait and not to make her feel cursed.
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
Which is what I basically told him, my point been that, she didnt said "NO", she just want it to happen next year, because of what she believe. And there is no way, he can make her believe something else (not this year anyway)
@chris2050 He cannot convince her if she believes in superstitions. They would end up fighting.
@rubyriaz007 (4292)
I don't believe in superstitions at all. Superstitions are made by human beings only.
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
I wish everyone could understand that
@Bluedoll (17052)
While in the desert would we believe in a mirage?
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
If we choose to. Normally it's something illusory, without substance or reality, but if we choose to believe in that, then so be it. It becomes real
I don't believe superstitions and actually I found them quite unreasonable. I am glad that my husband is the same with me. Otherwise we may have more arguments
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
I saw a movie of a woman married to a H.S teacher of Science. The woman believe in superstitions, but the husband, as a scientist, of course find them unreasonable, well, they ended up divorcing, though the woman was expecting a child, because they couldn't just understand each other
@chris2050 That's sad that this movie doesn't have a happy ending.
@KrauseHome (35517)
Sometimes I wonder why some people tend to believe Superstitions like this? It makes me wonder sometimes though what will be her next excuse. If I were him I would truly be thinking long and hard and decide what will be the Best for him. Even if he leaves her, if he still wants to share custody of the child that should be allowed. But to be miserable...
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
In my own opinion it has to do with the way people are raised. If you are raise in an environment where everyone believe in superstitions like this, you are like incline to believe to them too. I think people don't just make up their minds to believe or not to believe in things, their life experience has to do with it maybe
No. It's not my kind of thing.
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
Me neither
@Maya01 (7)
My mother believes in the things that are related to us, she is a mother after all. But I don't believe in any of that, mostly because there's no point in those things. Well, at least I think so.