My Latest Sighting: An Opossum

@Raelove (15547)
Saco, Maine
One night last week, my cat crept up to my bedroom windowsill and just sat there watching something outside. When she's quiet like that, I know she spotted something that isn't normally out there. Once again, I read her body language correctly and looked outside just in time to see an opossum wandering off along the edge of the woods. One of the reasons there IS so much wildlife here is that the treeline is just about 15 feet from the back of this building. So if any wild creature wants to come out into a more open area, it has to come out of the woods somewhere back there, which puts it just a few feet from my windows. I had tossed some dried corn out there earlier that day, so that's probably what the 'possum was after. I'm not sure how long it was there, but I was at least lucky enough to catch a glimpse of it before it wandered off. The opossum is a marsupial, which also includes kangaroos, wallabees, koalas, wombats, and Tasmanian devils, according to Wikipedia. While it's not the most attractive creature in the world, it moves about mainly by night and feeds on rodents, snakes, reptiles, and dead animal remains. Like the kangaroo, the 'possum carries its newborn young in a pouch located on its abdomen. When threatened, it plays dead, emitting a foul odor that keeps other animals away. This wasn't the first time I'd seen an opossum, as they're quite widespread here now due to urban sprawl and the displacement caused by development. On those few occasions when I have seen one, I feel like I've been given a glimpse into a secret world that I know very little about. And I'm sure the 'possum wants to keep it that way, too! (Public Domain Image)
• Denmark
I'll never see one. There are none in Europe.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
You are correct. They are found mainly in Australia and North America, having been introduced here from South America.
Don't think that I've ever seen any of those. I have seen the regular possums.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Not sure I know what you mean about "regular." There is only one kind of opossum in the U.S. The Virginia opossum. All the others are native to Australia and not found here.
Learn more about opossums: the only marsupial found in North America.
@Raelove Maybe some of us call them possums and not oposums.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
@Susan2015 You're right. Possum is another word that people use instead of opossum. I just looked it up and found this. Hope that helps clear it up.
Don't make this mistake ever again. Learn how to use possum and opossum with sentence examples, worksheets, & quizzes at Writing Explained
@CoralLevang (40863)
They are certainly very creepy. Me no likes dem! LOL
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
They're actually very timid and harmless. Unlike some, they're not destructive. I have no problem with them.
@CoralLevang (40863)
@Raelove I've had one hiss at me. LOL
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
@CoralLevang According to what I've read, they do that when they feel threatened. Let's put it this way. If I ever saw one, I'd steer clear of it.
Haven't seen one of those in my parking lot but we have seen turkeys and raccoons.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Same here. The 'possums come out later at night, and they tend to stick to the shadows.
@Raelove .......I don't think we have them here.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle They are more prevalent in some areas than in others.
@Raelove People may not think it's cute but I think it is! Glad you shared it with us!
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
It's not the most attractive in the world, but it is part of nature. Hence, I love it.
I believe I did see an opossum in one of the wooded parks here. So glad you got a chance to enjoy seeing one.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
I like seeing unusual wild animals here, as we are so close to town.
Wow that was cool as if you are in a some kinda magical world... I hope they don't bite. I am scared of those little creature. God bless...
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
They do bite if provoked, which is understandable. But I am not one to confront any wild animal. I prefer to live in peace with them.
@kepweng (6388)
nice i thought before its a Giant Rats
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Nope. It's not a rodent, but it likes to eat them.
Opossums are a common sight here in the city and I find them creepy looking.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Oh they ARE creepy looking, which adds to their mystery.