Pumpkin's rant of the day: Passports

United Kingdom
Recently, I applied for passports for myself and Mini. No problem with mine other than the inconvenience of having to go for an interview and trying to find to local (23 miles away) passport office). I had a letter back regarding Mini's application which said something along the lines that they couldn't scan it properly and I had to fill in another one, and send it along with new photos (even though there was nothing wrong with the photos). So, after inconveniencing the friend who had counter-signed, which was a bit of to-ing and fro-ing to get things done, I sent off the new application. I then had messages saying the passport was on its way. It turned up today with the original photo I'd sent. So now I'm annoyed ans confused. I'm confused as to why they asked me to re-do the application when it clearly wasn't necessary. I'm annoyed more for the friend who counter-signed because I know he doesn't like doing it, and it turns out he actually didn't need to do it all a second time. Apart from wanting to go abroad, I had decided to get passports for ID. It's surprising hiw difficult it is to do anything without a passport. It used to be that you could use a driving license OR a passport but now, even if you have a driving license, you still need a shed-load of supporting documents to prove your existence. I need a passport to prove I can work in this country - that would be the country I've never been out of and, therefore, have never needesd a passport. Anyway, I'm glad we now have them. As much of a pain as it has been in getting them, there are far worse things, and it will surely save a lot of hassle in future. Have you ever had such an experience? Being asked to do things that turned out to be entirely unnecessary? Or had problems getting jobs or services because you've not had one document?
Being Italian, I need to go through Italian Consulate when I need to renew documents and it's always a real pain.
My husband needed a new passport some time ago. We went to the Italian consulate in Stuttgart, Germany. I know that you won't feel insulted when I say: surprisingly (!) the people there were very efficient.
@MALUSE I cannot believe it! Italians working in Germany become efficient. We are too in the south here, those in the Italian Consulate maintain the classic Italian bureaucratic attitude.
@LadyDuck "the classic Italian bureaucratic attitude" --- does it still mean that the people in charge smoke while working and chat with each other about their weekend adventures while the queue in front of their counter window is getting longer and longer?
Any dealings with the elder care lawyers for my elderly dad and some dealings with the pharmacy we patronize due to it being the only pharmacy linked to our insurance for whopper discounts on prescriptions, has had me doing things that were unnecessary. Our only document problem occurred due to the fact that we have lost our marriage license three times, but now we have multiple copies due to needing that license on occasion.
Ah yes, I've had to get copies of birth certificates. I must have had a few! I've now got 3 - my original short one, a long one (because we have to have a long one. I've been asked for the original long one but my original is only a short one so that's been a problem!) and a spare which is the one I'll send off when it's required!