I can Breathe!

Winston Salem, North Carolina
After more than a month of been crazy-busy, (busy is normal, crazy-busy takes things to a whole ‘nother level) life is about to settle down to a somewhat more reasonable pace. Tech week is in full swing causing no end of stress and frustration for most of the production team, but for the costume crew and the prop people, the worst is behind us. Our first official dress rehearsal was last night and my list of issues that need to be resolved can now be counted on one hand, and none of those issues are problems that might keep me up at night. This production has been more of a creative challenge than I was really ready for. In the process of trying to make our cast look good on stage, I have learned how to make hats out of cardboard, shoe covers out of felt, and a reasonable looking Humpty Dumpty costume out of a few thrift-store clothing items that I pulled out of our costume shop. There are a couple of new cast members who have been added to the list of actors that I’d really rather not have to work with, but since those individuals have caused problems for the rest of the production team as well, it is unlikely that they will be cast in any future productions. Acting ability is important, but a reputation for being high maintenance or reluctant to follow directions is a quick way for an actor to get him or herself blacklisted. All of our directors and many of the rest of the production team also work with the other community theatres in the surrounding area so reputations tend to get around. Opening night is this Friday and I will continue to be busy with the production until the curtain closes on our last show, and all of the costumes have been packed up and stored, but I’m looking forward to actually having time to get the dust bunnies in my home back under control.
Oh my, that sounds like so much work.
It is a lot of work. But it is both enjoyable and rewarding....especially when the stressful part is over.
@Platespinner And then you forget the stress and exhaustion and sign up all over again?
I wish a very successful opening night to cast and crew!!!
Thank you!
The costumes look great, you had a very hard work, but you are doing great. You are right, an actor must follow the direction, improvisation and creativity are not good to work with other actors.
Unfortunately, we have at least one cast member who doesn't think the schedule applies to her.
@Platespinner This can really become annoying.
@kobesbuddy (19608)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Great job and definitely well worth your time &effort, Have fun!
Thanks!
@kobesbuddy (19608)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Platespinner Have you eaten your bowl of Wheaties today? LOL
@kobesbuddy Nope. The only cold cereal I eat is home-made granola.
@UncleJoe (8609)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
If the trouble makers are talented the rest of the cast should take one out and lynch them. The other will fall in line very quickly.
My sweet, non-violent sixteen-year-old was ready to slap another cast member last night. One who walked out of rehearsal before dismissal because she "needed her sleep."
• Riga, Latvia
Love the costumes. Best of luck on Friday.
Thank you!
Looks like another successful year of making costumes and hope you take a much needed rest once the show is over.
My relaxation will probably mostly consist of getting my house back into some semblance of order. I've been ignoring my housewifely/mom duties for most of the past month.
@spiderdust (2759)
• San Jose, California
Almost done! The costumes in the picture look great. Where did you find the propeller hats?
The propeller hats came from Amazon.
@Emmlex1000 (1417)
• Lagos, Nigeria
Thank God for the strength and new idea
That's great that you can now ease off a bit. My son graduated from his music college and immediately got work when it was available in orchestras in various productions. He said it was because during his placements with such groups he made it a point to turn up on time, able to play his music and never to criticise or 'rock the boat'. If he had a suggestion he made it to the leader privately and diplomatically. I think some people become prima donnas well before they've made their mark.
Our production manager is a very sweet, very understanding, very forgiving team leader and even she has noted that one particular cast member has not only been blacklisted, she has a black list a mile long....
@Platespinner Oh dear - and the blacklisted one probably thinks she is a star in the making. People like that tend to.
@JudyEv Yep. Poor girl has no clue that at least three of the theatres in the area will not cast her in any role in the foreseeable future.
You seem so very busy! Take it slowly, my friend and get some relaxation. Remember, All Work and No Play, makes Jack a dull boy.
Technically costuming counts as play...unfortunately too much of it makes it feel like work.
@Platespinner Anything that is in excess is not good anymore.
@SIMPLYD Unfortunately we live in a culture that places a lot of demands on us. I love theatre, and I enjoy helping with productions, but sometimes other volunteers are a little less than reliable and when someone doesn't follow through with their part someone else has to pick up the slack.
@responsiveme (14453)
I enjoy reading your posts on this..Good luck. I agree people shouldn't act pricey
Thank you! I'm sure there will be more posts and pictures over the next couple of weeks!
@LoriAMoore (10121)
Good luck with the show.
Thank you!
@koopharper (6318)
Sounds fun but tiring. Hope the production goes well and you enjoy the pace of life slowing down a bit.
I think my family is going to enjoy me having time to actually go buy groceries regularly and produce meals that actually require effort.
I'm glad things will slow down a little bit for you soon. =) Enjoy seeing your costumes on stage!
Unfortunately, as the costumer, I don't get to watch the show. I will be backstage armed with needle and thread, duct tape, and safety pins in case there are wardrobe malfunctions.
@peachpurple (10708)
A lot of work done, do rest
It was nice to not wake up in the middle of the night and spend the rest of my sleep time staring at the ceiling trying to figure out how to resolve a particularly tricky problem (or panicking about how on earth I'm going to manage to get it all finished).
@peachpurple (10708)
@Platespinner can you find solution by staring at the ceiling?