"Fragrance-free" label: the truth

Malaysia
If you have sensitive skin or certain skin conditions, your best alternative when it comes to buying cream or moisturizers would be those with "fragrance-free" or "hypoallergenic" labels, right? Apparently, it's not exactly what you think. In fact, when you see a "dermatologist-recommended" label, the reality is there's no way of knowing how many dermatologists actually recommend the product. It could be just one - and we don't even know who. Most labels like this are simply marketing claims. I came across the article below as I was doing my research. You can read more about it. Are you usually inclined to purchase products with these labels?
People with skin conditions like eczema need moisturizers to treat their dry, cracked and reddened skin. But research suggests many moisturizers are mislabeled and can make the skin conditions worse.
@hereandthere (24037)
it's hard to find fragrance-free products here.
Really? What about in pharmacies? You can consult the pharmacist too, they usually can help guide you to the product you're looking for.
@cahaya1983 thankfully i don't have sensitivities or allergies.
@hereandthere That's good to know. My sister has sensitive skin and she had to consult the pharmacist.
I have sensitive skin and I asked my dermatologist what to use.
That is the bet way to know what to use. @LadyDuck.
@jstory07 Yes, most of the products on the shelves are not safe.
Yes we have to consult an expert we can trust, too many products hide behind marketing claims nowadays.
@1hopefulman (20212)
I like to use products that do not harm me in any way.
Yes, I believe we all do. That's why it's good to do a bit of research about the products we want to buy.
@1hopefulman (20212)
@cahaya1983 Well said!
My skin isn't sensitive, but I use organic products from my spa and dermatologist.
That's good, so you will get recommendations from the people you can trust.
@cahaya1983 Yes, indeed. So far, there has never been a problem.
If I buy a lotion I usually give it a sniff to find out if it is odorless or has a pleasant fragrance. I tend to like my lotions with a fragrance.
Fortunately I don't have sensitive skin so I've used those with fragrance without any problems. But for face moisturizers I like them fragrance-free.
@Ganma7 (1984)
I don't use perfumes, but most of the time I used deodorants.
Well I think products like deodorants and perfumes are intended to be full of fragrance.
@UmiNoor (3427)
I'm seldom taken in by claims made on labels. I normally purchase items that someone recommends to me personally when it comes to cosmetics and skin care. But most time, I get free samples to try and then I decide later.
Yes it's always good to do a bit of research before buying such products. Too many products in the market these days it's hard to know which ones you can really trust.
I buy the fragrance fee laundry soap and do not break out anymore when I use it.
Hard to find fragrance-free laundry soap here. Good alternative for people with sensitive skin.
@kepweng (6288)
do you use johnson baby powder?
I used to, but I've used the J&J baby oil and also the shower cream.
@YrNemo (8433)
One thing I have learned from my own experience is that things which work for others, might not work for me. There is this brand called The Body Shop, famous once for being gentle to the skin, but whenever I used their lipsticks, creams, soaps, I got rash badly. (Same when I used any expensive creams. )
Yeah that's a very popular brand here. I used their products and fortunately didn't have problems but the fragrance is a bit too strong for me.
@Ganma7 (1984)
Thank you very good reading and information.
My pleasure to share. Consumers need to be more informed these days.
@ridingbet (37863)
i don't have a sensitive skin so i think i can use and apply any moisturizer or lotion.
I don't either, but if there is a fragrance free alternative I wouldn't mind buying.