Ten Favorite World Series: 2017 World Series (#5)

@FourWalls (15203)
Into the top five I go with the list of my favorite World Series championships. As I mentioned at the beginning, all of these occurred in my lifetime, so these are series I actually watched when they happened. Here's a blast from...well, last week for today's entry. #5: 2017: Dodgers/Astros When game one started in Los Angeles it was 103 degrees. That made it the hottest temperature for a World Series opening pitch ever. Little did we know that it was a harbinger of what a barn-burner of a series it was going to be. With two 100-win teams facing off against each other, "the stats" said we were going to get a great series. Oh, boy, did we. The L.A. Dodgers, with their highly-touted offense that could go from zero to sixty runs in 10.4 seconds, have five titles under their belts (one of which came when they were the Brooklyn Dodgers). The Houston Astros, in contrast, had only been to one other World Series, where they were promptly disposed of by the Chicago White Sox (the other Chicago team that hadn't won a series in a long time) in a four-game sweep in 2005. Sentimentality leaned the Astros' way. Not only were they seeking the first championship in history, but they were representing a city ravaged by Hurricane Harvey earlier in the year. The storm had forced the Astros to play some "home games" in Tampa while Houston was drying out from the flooding. But sentimentality doesn't play the game, players do, and these were two quite evenly matched teams. Given there were 204 wins between the two teams in the regular season, there were going to be fireworks. After game five, they may have run out of fireworks thanks to all those home runs. (Astros announcer Robert Ford quipped the next day, "I think everybody had a game-tying three-run home run in that game.") Dodgers fans (cough-cough-@JohnRoberts ) think the Dodgers "gave it away," but if you look at those spectacular games two and five, where the game was decided in the last at-bats, you see that there's no way either the Dodgers or the Astros "rolled over and played dead." Even in the final game, the four-run lead the Astros had in the ninth didn't feel safe to anyone, Dodger or Astro. This time, however, sentimentality won out and the beleaguered city of Houston got its first World Series title. They'll get more in the future, I feel confident. So will the Dodgers. 2017 World Series Los Angeles Dodgers (NL) / Houston Astros (AL) Winner: Astros, 4 games to 3 Best game: game five (Astros won, 13-12 in ten innings) Who I was pulling for: Astros, but I wouldn't have been upset if the Dodgers had won The final out from the viewing party at Minute Maid Park:
Watch the crowd reaction to the Houston Astros winning game 7 of the 2017 World Series!!
Houston had far and away the best offense in all of baseball going in so they had the advantage. It was up to Dodger pitching to stop the wrecking crew that begins with Springer and they failed miserably. Kershaw is supposed to be the man. He is nowhere near Madison Bumgarner. Houston has a two year window to win again. Their star players are being paid minimum or near minimum wage and hit free agency in two years. Keuchel is a free agent in a year. Can they hand out $100 million contracts to Keuchel, Springer, Altuve, Correa, Bergman and Gonzalez all at once?
@FourWalls (15203)
I would imagine that Houston won't be 15th in payroll next year. PS -- if the Dodgers make the series next year, remember it's the NL's year to win in 2018.
@FourWalls Yeah, for the Cubs second World Series!
I wasn't rooting for either team in this one.
I think it was a popular win given what Houston has been through but a good series is a thing of beauty in any case.