Can I Get Washed and Dressed Without Getting Nekkid?

I am trying to figure out how to get washed up and dressed without freezing this morning. We ran out of fuel in the night and it is a balmy 55 degrees inside at the moment. When I woke at 4:45 (thank you DLS) I headed to the kitchen and turned on the oven. When it reached 350, I turned it off and opened the door to let the warmth travel to the living area. Also put on a pot of water to boil. It does help to add warmth. Now I am off to the bathroom to wash up. How do I achieve this task without getting goosebumps? LOL What do you do when you run out of fuel to keep warm?
@Platespinner (16515)
We heat with wood so the only time it's cold in here is when someone has let the fire go out.
There is nothing like a warm fire to get you toasty warm.
@ElusiveButterfly we have an open floorplan with a loft. All the heat goes up so it takes a while to warm up. The basement on the other hand, doesn't have as good a heater, but warms up much faster.
@Platespinner We don't have a basement to worry about. Hopefully when we move we will have one. I like to have a place to store things that are only used occasionally.
We have natural gas heating, so we cannot run "out of gas". Anyway, just in case, I have three electric heaters. I used one before taking a bath yesterday. The bath was not warm enough. It took only a few minutes to get a comfortable temperature.
@BarBaraPrz (19578)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I used to turn on a little electric heater in the old place when I took a bath in the winter. Here, it is warm enough in the bathroom that I don't have to. In the old place, the pipes froze a couple times, so I would boil a kettle and just take a sponge bath. (I always had emergency water on hand in one of those camping water cube things.)
@BarBaraPrz I keep the house warm, but in the bathroom sometimes I want extra warm when I take a bath.
@BarBaraPrz (19578)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@LadyDuck Definitely in the winter.
I don't shower instead I take a bath, and i hate to undress when it is cold in here!
I should have brought the space heater in the bathroom and let it get warm in there. However, by the time it would have been warm enough to shower, I would have to leave for work.
@ElusiveButterfly oh. I do hope you figure out something. It is said by many my house is too hot because I keep the heat on 73/74 all winter. So it is not always cold in my bathroom but still hate bathing when it cold outside
@Marty1 as long as it is warm inside I am okay.
When I am under the warm shower it feels good and then when I am done it is still cold and then wrap the towel around me helps and then when I get my clothes on I feel ok.
I guess I am just not happy with having to be cold. I like to step into warmer air after showering.
@ElusiveButterfly When it is winter here the bathroom is not warm and I do not have a heater in the room. So, I get a little cold. I understand how you don't want to get cold.
@Hannihar our bathroom is small so it doesn't take long for it to get warm once the door is closed.
@Theresaaiza (10466)
There is a reason people from UK or US call Aussies a bunch of whiny sooks. During winter, you'll find the Aussies all rugged up in what almost look like a ski outfit, and on the other end, the British/Am ex pats in Tshirts. I, on the other hand, grew up in Philippines, where the seasons are only composed of HOT, and HOTTER. I have no suggestions to contribute, @ElusiveButterfly except to say that I am, myself, a whiny sook and you are probably better at keeping warm than I am.
I do figure out ways to keep warm. A few years back the temps were very cold in the winter. The furnace froze up and we had no heat. I ran our space heaters and bundled up.
@Theresaaiza you run outside, turn the car up to get it warm, run back inside where it is warm. Bundle up like an eskimo, head back out into the cold air to your warm car. Repeat when you have to go outside again. Sucks.
@Theresaaiza (10466)
@ElusiveButterfly Oh I have done that. We do get frost once in a while especially that my car is not garaged. While I was complaining and grumbling, he told me off. "At least you're not plowing snow!" He said.
We have a gas forced air furnace so we do not run out of fuel. Luckily, we have not had a power failure that would put an end to the heat for a while. I hope you can get washed up without too many goosebumps.
As long as we have enough fuel in the tank we are fine. We have been living from paycheck to paycheck since he started working again. He will have to fill the tank soon so we don't have to worry about it for a while. We also have a generator for when the power goes out so we would have heat when there is no electricity.
@ElusiveButterfly A good friend of ours who worked for a company for years was just fired. He is age 61. The economy still stinks here. Still too many layoffs and people struggling to get by.
@Corbin5 what happened to the promise of more jobs?
@xFiacre (4419)
@elusivebutterfly I have freezing cold showers all through the winter even when the temperature outside drops below freezing. Today temp is 40 degrees and gettin nekkid's part of the fun.
@xFiacre (4419)
@BarBaraPrz It hurts, but it's sooo exhilarating.
@BarBaraPrz (19578)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@xFiacre Especially when you stop...
@xFiacre yeah I will have to pass on that one!
Eek I would not want to undress in such cold temperatures either.
It wasn't a fun time!
@ElusiveButterfly lol I am sure it was not a fun time at all. Is everything fixed now?
@shaggin yes, everything is going smoothly now. Told my husband he has to make sure that we have enough fuel in tank to keep it that way too.
Yikes! We are on constant fill and have never run out. We also have a gas fireplace, ceiling heater in two of the bathrooms, and three or four space heaters just in case. I can't take the cold. Hope you are all nice and warm now!
Hubby didn't get home til after dark so it was quite chilly in here when we got home. Once he got home he added the fuel to the tank and primed the furnace. Didn't take long for it to warm up in here because the place is so small.
@ElusiveButterfly Glad to hear it!!!
@fishtiger58 (30346)
• Momence, Illinois
We have a gas line so we never run out of fuel, thankfully. I guess for you just do it quickly.
I did it as fast as I could. It wasn't pleasant, but I survived.
@fishtiger58 (30346)
• Momence, Illinois
@ElusiveButterfly I imagine it wasn't.
@KrauseHome (35026)
Not good. Especially now that the weather is getting colder. Luckily I can turn the heat on and off still here
It is in the 30's today and quite cold. Was very cold last night too. The furnace is running all day and night here.
@UncleJoe (9731)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
In those coldest Winters, Daddy would pour gasoline in my bath water, which quickly separated and floated on top. Then he would put a match to it. As long as I stayed underwater I couldn't get burned.
Well that is a scorching idea.
Thankfully we haven't had that problem of no heat but I really don't know what I'd do to get washed and dressed if the house was cold.
You shiver, get goosebumps and learn how to wash, dress quickly.
@Srbageldog (8350)
I bundle up in warm clothes and blankets and hunker down on the couch or in bed when it's cold.
I wish that I could have done that, but had to get ready for work. Brrrrr.
I rush through everything as quickly as possible! It is definitely an unpleasant situation.
That is just what I did. It also seemed to take a long time to warm the car up yesterday. I really needed the warmth after being chilled.
As kids we had the 'hands, legs, face, wash day ' which meant no bath that day!! And this was two days in the week (lol) You can follow this rule.
A quick sponge bath was enough for me today!
@BarBaraPrz (19578)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I never ran out of fuel but when it got really cold, I'd put on the oven. And I had a couple electric heaters I could use before I got my gas fireplace.
Thankfully our oven heats up quick and it did provide a little warmth. It was just enough to get us through the morning.
We've not run out of fuel, we heat with natural gas. We did have our hot water heater go on us once and it was about 3 days before it was replaced. During that time I went to the gym to shower, my husband did it at home-ugh! And it was summertime!! I hope that your fuel is delivered soon so that you can enjoy warmth when you shower.
We haul our own fuel in. Hubby just overlooked the fact that it was colder out and the furnace was constantly running. Cold showers in the summer aren't too bad. I have had my fair share of them. However, I do like to start with the water warm and then turn it down until it is cooler.
@m_audrey6788 (13810)
I don`t want to experience that
• Preston, England
I would wrap up in more clothes and try to get out to omewhere warmer