The Shoe Bank

@Morleyhunt (16726)
Last week another Mylotter @Datazngirl wrote a discussion about piggy banks. I mentioned that I had written about my piggy bank several years ago on the old Bubblews site. This piggy bank caught my eye in a dollar store when my husband and I were out for the day. I rarely have a reaction of "I have to have that!" So when I do I pay attention. This resin shoe piggy bank drew that reaction. I told my husband...it's only a dollar...I'm buying it. Since then it has been in my living room on a shelf or my sewing room window sill. I was saving my loonies and toonies ($1. & $2. Coins) for some thing big. I've dipped into it a few times and bought myself a Garmin GPS as well as some household items. Recently though, I've raided the piggy bank to feed the parking meters...with my father in the hospital I am feeding meters....every loonie or toonie that crosses my hand ends up in the parking meter, The shoe bank is still a novelty item that I enjoy. Once we have made our big move I look forward to saving my loonies and toonies again.
I love shoes and I do love the piggy bank. We each have a container on our bedside tables that we toss change in. One has nickels, dimes and quarters and the other has the loonies and toonies. We tend to roll our loonies and toonies, they add up quickly and there are a couple of rolls waiting to be dropped off at the bank. But then as soon as that happens, I know that we'll need some...... We keep quite a stash of loonies and toonies in both of our vehicles for parking, or for emergencies-you never know when you'll truly "need" a trip to Timmies.
@Morleyhunt (16726)
I've gone through every bit of change paying for parking to visit my father. I had a ziplock full of loonies and toonies but they have all been used to feed the meters.
This is cute, my piggy bank is shaped like a pirate trunk.
@Morleyhunt (16726)
A pirate trunk would be a neat piggy bank as well.
@Morleyhunt It was so cute and I thought that it makes sense to put money in a pirate trunk.
I have a lion bank instead of a piggy bank. I poured in ceramics when I was in my teens.
@Morleyhunt (16726)
Do you still use it? Is it displayed in your home? Mine sits in the windowsill of my sewing room.
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
Not bad for a shoe money savings bank
@Morleyhunt (16726)
I have not used it to buy shoes. In future that might be an idea.
@Morleyhunt Oh! Are you planning to destroy it or it has some hole to put away your savings?
@Morleyhunt (16726)
@m_audrey6788 there is an opening in the bottom to remove the money without "breaking the bank".
@koopharper (6318)
Nice piggy bank. Mine is just my wallet. I pick up dropped money in the drive-thru at work. Every time I have enough to exchange for a five dollar bill. I do. One thing I like about the hospital in Sackville is that the parking is free. I have a friend living a block from the General in Moncton and am allowed to park in his driveway. We usually park in the store lot just a little further away though.
@Morleyhunt (16726)
The only free parking near the Wellanf hospital was 2 hr parking...a 20 minute walk from where dad was . I miss my loonie and toonie savings. It was always a handy backup.
@Morleyhunt They don't make it easy to find free parking near any hospital anywhere else I've been. Cornwall was bad and Ottawa was even worse.
@Morleyhunt (16726)
@koopharper I can understand hospitals charging for parking....I wouldn't mind paying a modest fee....but I feel like I own large chunks of real estate near the local hospitals. I've paid enough in parking fees by this time.
I seen these at the dollar store a few years back. They are so cute. They came in a few different colors. Nice to see that you are making good use of your shoe bank!
@Morleyhunt (16726)
At a different dollar store they had a coordinating purse piggy bank. It was tempting...but I was able to resist...they would have looked cute next to each other in my windowsill.
@Morleyhunt oh yes they would have.
That shoe piggy bank is so nice. I thought at first that it's one of those for display. So at what part will the hole be for the cents to drop into it?
@Morleyhunt (16726)
It is at the top of the heel. The photo doesn't show the money slot very well.
@Morleyhunt Just as I thought.
Those sod very well hee for a while. I would love to have found one for a buck. They sold over 11 dollars here so I never bought one.
@Morleyhunt (16726)
At $11 I would not have had any difficulty resisting...but at $1. It was mine!
@Morleyhunt Yes I am sure you would as with me.
• Portland, Connecticut
What a colorful and cute bank, as a shoe person I would have bought it too.
@Morleyhunt (16726)
I'm not really a shoe person, but the piggy bank appealed to me...the price was right so I bought it.
a few years ago, my husband started to put all his "toonies" in a big jar. when it was full, it was worth $2,000.00
@Morleyhunt (16726)
That's a nice amount of cash to "discover".
@ridingbet (37918)
our piggy banks look like the 'normal' piggy bank. they were plastic pigs. my other brother, the nurse, had a rabbit though
@Morleyhunt (16726)
My children had piggy banks that were shaped like pigs.
That's an adorable piggy bank and hope you'll be able to fatten it up once again. Lately all my change has gone in my cookie jar and it thought it was a good hiding spot until one of the grandkids was looking for a cookie
@Morleyhunt (16726)
grandkids do like their cookies. My piggy bank won't grow for a little while, but I hope that after Christmas it will be fed regularly again.
That is one very unique bank. I love it!!! So glad to hear that bank has served you well!
@Morleyhunt (16726)
It's still a fun piggy bank. I look forward to feeding it again,
I assumed with the cost it was a tiny knickknack but if you actually save up for something bigger it must be bigger then I expected. It is very cute. We no longer have any piggy banks in our house we just put the change in our wallets etc.
@Morleyhunt (16726)
I think I had almost $200. In $1 and $2 coins in the piggy bank at one time. It's not that small.
@1creekgirl (8761)
That's the cutest piggy bank I've seen! Mine is a huge coffee cup on my dresser. Thankfully we don't have to roll coins now, just dump them into a machine at our credit union. Hope your father gets well. BTW, what exactly are loonies and toonies?
@Morleyhunt (16726)
Loonies are $1 coins and toonies are $2 coins.
I love it! Thank you for sharing your beautiful story! I hope your father is well! That's a really cute shoe bank! Super stylish.
@Morleyhunt (16726)
It is a fun piggy bank. It appealed to me.
I liked that! A fashionable coin bank hehehe I'd love to have one of those. Mine is a kitty bank. I chose a cat coin bank because I love cats.
@Morleyhunt (16726)
When I was a child my piggy bank was an elephant. I still have that piggy bank somewhere, tucked away.
@Platespinner (18557)
Very pretty. My current "piggy bank" is a tin Easter bucket on top of my dresser. When it's mostly full I'll take it to the money machine at the grocery store and cash it in for an Amazon gift certificate.
@Morleyhunt (16726)
Unfortunately my piggy bank is empty....maybe I'll soon start to save those loonies and toonies again.