One of Life's Puzzling Conundrums

Winston Salem, North Carolina
I have been busy tidying up my work area and trying to get my house back into a state of reasonable cleanliness and reduced chaos (there are people here 24/7 so eliminating the chaos is not very realistic). I have sorted through the detritus on my desk and the top of the dog crate (an improvised table). I even managed to clear off the ironing board so it could be folded up and stored in its corner. In the process, I have collected multiple pairs of scissors. After snapping the photo I found one more pair and I know that there is at least one additional pair lurking in a corner somewhere. Interestingly enough, scissors are probably the one item that no one in this household ever seems to be able to find. Considering how many I have, one would think finding one, single, pair would be a cinch. Not so. The pile from the photo have been tucked away in the top drawer of my desk but I suspect it won’t be long and I will once again be hunting for my scissors. Is there anything in your home that always seems to wander off?
Tools wander off in our house. They do not end up in the same place from which they were taken. Finding a Phillips screwdriver is the tool that seems to be the hardest to find.
My husband probably has as many Phillips screwdrivers as I have scissors .
• Denmark
Here it's my keys. They don't like me. They hide in silly places. My glasses had a phase when they didn't want to be with me, too, but this has improved.
Our newest car only came with one fob (we bought the car 2nd hand), and it has a keyless starter. My husband, myself and our oldest daughter all drive the car and someone is ALWAYS looking for that remote device. I usually clip it to my purse strap so it's easier to keep track of. My phone also regularly hides from me (sometimes when it's already in my hand, much to the amusement of other family members).
@kobesbuddy (19625)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I'm constantly looking for a hammer, a screw driver, or a roll of duct take! LOL Now, we keep a drawer in the dining room, filled with all kinds a tools
Duct tape seems to wander around here as well.
@kobesbuddy (19625)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Platespinner We both use duct tape, regularly.
@kobesbuddy I use duct tape, my husband uses duct tape. My son uses duct tape. My daughter uses duct tape. The dog chews duct tape .
@hereandthere (24133)
the tape dispenser would sometimes go missing. someone would take it to their room, then forget to return it to the computer area, where the rest of the office supplies are.
My tape dispenser and stapler are supposed to be in the top drawer, under the printer. More often then not, I find them either on the piano or on my daughter's desk in the basement.
@Platespinner we have several staplers, so there's always one left next to the tape dispenser.
@hereandthere I have one stapler and one desk-top tape dispenser. The plastic cellophane tape dispensers tend to completely vanish never to be seen again.
I need a pair so badly! I wanted to hem my new pants and cannot cut them, the scissors are so dull! Here ink pens hide.
Ink pens (and mechanical pencils) go through cycles here. It's either feast or famine. Either I have way too many of them or none at all. There is no middle ground.
Yeah, I think you summed that one up pretty good. I always have scissors handy when I don't need them but the minute I do they all run off. I can't blame the pets because they don't have thumbs but there has to be some kinda elf in here that likes to see me goin nuts hunting for them.
I'm glad I'm not alone!
You've got plenty of company @Platespinner the other thing that routinely disappears the minute I look for it is the remote, happens to so many people I know.
@rebelann I always put the remote in the same place. My husband however....
@Emmlex1000 (1518)
• Lagos, Nigeria
That personal sanitation clean up
I don't think picking up scissors amounts to sanitation, but whatever.
• Lagos, Nigeria
@Platespinner it amount because it will keep the environment safe against injury
@Emmlex1000 These scissors weren't an injury risk to anyone. They just hadn't been returned to their proper place.
Screwdrivers, I do not know how many we have and the right size is always missing when we need one.
Screwdrivers always seem to end up either on the island in the kitchen, or my desk in the basement. Despite the fact that they are my husband's tools, and when I borrow them from is tool chest I always put them back....
@Platespinner I always put them back if I am the one who uses them. My husband tends to leave the screwdriver in the last place he used it and then he forgets where he used it.
@LadyDuck My husband is bad about leaving his stuff on the kitchen island...as are other members of the household.
@cahaya1983 (9583)
The TV remote control. The funny thing is I would later find it at the most random places. In the room, in the drawer, sometimes in the kitchen!
in our case, it's the cordless phone of the landline.
@hereandthere Oh yes that one too, but now we don't use landline as much as our cellphones. Still a pain when it happens though.
I'm the only person who regularly uses the cordless landline phones, so they are usually where they are supposed to be. My cell phone, however, regularly falls out of my pocket, or gets set down in odd places. I seem to regularly use the landline to locate my cell phone .
@Theresaaiza (9696)
You sure found your scissors But I measure a person's success if he finds all his nailcutters. If you haven't found them, I am not surprised. They have the tendency to resurface when you don't need them. It's deliberate.
Let me think. Nail clippers: there is a jar full of them on the bathroom counter upstairs, and my husband's favourite pair are on the mantel in the basement (where I put them after extracting them from the dog's mouth).
@Platespinner Looks like we got a winner
@Theresaaiza If only success in life were that simple
@Morleyhunt (16658)
Scissors and rotary cutters....I can never find them...but when I tidied...I found a mountain of the things.
I found both of my rotary cutters yesterday as well. Now I just have to remember where I tucked the new blades.
@Morleyhunt (16658)
@Platespinner something is always hiding.
@UncleJoe (8527)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
We have scads of sissors all over the house but I can never find any without sitting on them first.
I would understand my pile of scissors if some of them were kid's scissors since I bought a boat-load of them over the years. But nary a one of those has turned up.
@responsiveme (14414)
Never ever do I get a pen that writes at my mom's place...And I take so many every time I visit
I have my own secret stash of pens and pencils. It's the only way I can be certain I will find one when I need it!
That is a lot of scissors. After moving, I have come to the conclusion that we never throw away nor misplace or use anything to the point where it needs to be thrown out when it comes to pencils and pens. Even pencil crayons, magic markers and crayons-and bear in mind that our son is 28 years old, so these have been in near perfect condition for a lot of years! I actually filled a tub of pencils, all long and sharpened, with erasers on the end in tact, and gave them to a friend. She told me she felt like she won the lottery-lol
Crayons around here get converted to fire-starters once they are broken. Markers get thrown out when they dry out (I had an entire shoebox size tub full of them at one point, but they don't last forever). Pencil crayons (or colored pencils as they call them around here) get used up by the resident artist. I usually keep an extra pack or two of pencil crayons and wax crayons for visiting relatives.
@koopharper (6317)
Wesley likes to borrow my tools and leave them outside as if I'm not capable of mislaying these things all by myself.
My entire household has that problem. Only one person is OCD enough to make sure what she uses gets returned to its place immediately.
@CinnamonGrl (5807)
• Paradise, California
There was plenty of stuff that disappeared when I still had kids at home.Scotch tape, glue, and scissors were the main disappearances, I think.Now it's not as hard to keep track of things, with just my mom and me. But she does lose her letter openers, LOL. We search in the couch cushions, on the floor, UNDER the couch and chairs, everywhere, but there have been three or four over the years that just vanished. Also we lost an entire baggie full of rubber bands. It went missing when we had a house full of company. I remember picking it up and fiddling with it while I was taking a phone call. Then everyone left and we never saw that baggie again. So I'm sure it was me that misplaced it, but WHERE? I bet I don't find it till I'm moving out of this house.
With two teenage daughters with long hair who work in the fast food industry and hence need to restrain their hair my house has probably absorbed several hundred bobby pins...yet quite regularly there is not a single one to be found.
• Eugene, Oregon
I use reading glasses for very small print. I think I have about a dozen pair, but they hide. I have to go from room to room searching. I don't need them often enough to wear a pair around my neck though.
I have never misplaced my glasses and neither has my husband or my daughter. However, my son, who only wears his glasses for work, is ALWAYS misplacing his.
Matches. I buy boxes of matches; I put them in a drawer and there are never matches there I made a discussion about it.
Today I wanted a match. Every time I look for a match, I can't find one. Every time I finally find a box of matches, I put them back in the same place and...
We heat with wood, and whenever someone leaves my box of matches anywhere other than where it is supposed to be I tend to lecture. Loudly. Some might actually accuse me of yelling .
@Platespinner Well, I get it! And my husband is usually the one saying things should always be in their proper place. So why he is like this with matches, I don't know!
@paigea My husband is bad about leaving the matches beside the grill outside. Where they get rained on. Wet matches don't work very well.
@m_audrey6788 (11601)
Wow! A general cleaning done there! I think I also do things like that once a month and find many pens and scissors around too
My house has been languishing from neglect the past several weeks. I've had too many other things to do.
@Platespinner And I`m sure your house is as good as new
@m_audrey6788 Not yet, there is still a lot that needs attention. But it's in much better shape than it was on Sunday afternoon!
• Lakewood, Colorado
And here is me with only one pair of useless scissors
Useless scissors are either repaired (my son has gotten pretty good at sharpening them) or thrown away. There are few things more frustrating than a useless pair of scissors!
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Platespinner So right