Visiting Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum & Home, Mansfield MO (Part Two)

Los Angeles, California
In 1894, Almanzo and Laura Ingalls Wilder purchased 40 acres of land near Mansfield, Missouri. The property they named Rocky Ridge Farm would expand to 200 acres. The Wilders including young daughter Rose left De Smet, South Dakota where Pa and Ma and sister Mary lived and traveled by wagon to Mansfield. The going was tough and they struggled for years. Almanzo built a log cabin which after 17 years of additions became the two story white house seen today. Visitors enter through the kitchen which is the oldest room and are informed that Rose kept everything as it was upon Laura’s death. The house has been maintained the same ever since. See the 1957 calendar hanging on the wall. So everything seen in the house is original. The guide explains how the house developed over time and points out various items of interest. For instance the stove was ordered from Montgomery Ward in 1905 and Laura’s blue willow china dates to 1921. The tour winds through the rooms. Dining room highlights are an 1885 still working clock that was a Christmas gift and Laura’s rocking chair with cushions she made. The bedroom has an eerie feeling because Laura’s nightgown is laid out on the bed waiting for her. There is her hat, clothes and sewing kit. An odd nook is next and served as Laura’s office. She was a very small woman and often slept on the divan. Her desk is like she just stepped away for a moment. You see correspondence, envelopes, stamps, tape etc. This is where she wrote the last four books. The tiny music room contains their organ and her 1928 record player. The “library” is really a section of the main room that is a walkway between shelves of her books. The living room or parlor is furnished by 1920s furniture ordered from the Sears catalog. The guide explains many of the chairs and lamps were made by Almanzo. Overall the house is small and cozy as you would expect from the Wilders.
This is one place I really do want to visit, I love Laura Ingall Wilder and have since I was a child and now I have found out that my grandson Alex is related to her, she is even more precious to mel
I would love to see the home/museum.
Isn't there a second house built on that property that they lived in for a short time but then they moved back to the original house? Or am I making that up? I have a biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder and I thought it said that.
I will be dealing with the second house in the next Laura post.
@JohnRoberts haha so I am not losing my mind!
I know there is a homestead in South Dakota too,,but that might be where she lived as a child.
When I went to Yellowstone one year, we passed the turn off for the Laura Ingalls Wilder homestead in I think it was Smethport South Dakota..sadly..it was pretty far off route 90...but hopefully some day. I read all her books as a kid, and some as an adult as well.
You are thinking De Smet. Ma and Pa are buried there.
@JohnRoberts Yeah, I was just gonna say that..upon reflection it was De Smeth..I wish I could have gone..but hopefully at some point I will.
I would love to see it. I am a big fan of hers.
@LeaPea2417 (20413)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I would love to visit that. I am a big fan of the Laura Ingalls books and TV show.
I would enjoy seeing that house.
I've never read the books, and didn't care for the TV show. I would still go check this out.
This sounds cool. Would love to see it one day.
That sounds a great museum. I came across her books late in life but still enjoyed them.
I have a series of the Little House Books and time and time again I enjoy rereading them. I would love to see the museum. Imagine how many books she could have written if she had had a PC.
Would love to see that museum. Grew up reading all her books.