Rabbit Feet

Winston Salem, North Carolina
I know, I know. What do the size 12 loafers in the photo have to do with the furry things a cute species of mammal hops around on? In my world, at the moment, EVERYTHING. On Sunday night the White Rabbit of our Alice in Wonderland production was stuffed into a dark suit cut to look vaguely Victorian with a white bunny tail attached to the seat of the pants. His head was crowned with a top hat adorned with furry white ears. On his feet were a pair of grey athletic shoes. Wait! That’s not right… Our rather large, White Rabbit has been a bit of a challenge. I had to dig out the largest suit in the costume shop to dress him and, after determining that the XXXL top hat was too small, I had to make suitable head-gear. On Sunday all cast members were supposed to bring all personal items that would be worn during the production. For most, that included suitable footwear. The large White Rabbit forgot his shoes. Shoes that I was counting on to use as a base for his fluffy bunny feet. We decided that his plain black shoes would have to do. Last night, however, his large black loafers found their way to my house and this morning I was able to transform them into feet fit for the White Rabbit. I’ll show a photo of the completed item, but if you’re interested you’ll have to exercise patience until a little later in the day since there is a Queen of Hearts who needs some royal jewelry to finish her ensemble.
• Riga, Latvia
Very interesting. You certainly have your work cut out for you. I am looking forward to seeing the White Rabbit.
The hard part was coming up with a solution that would neither damage the shoes nor cover the soles since our stage is a bit of slip hazard.
• Riga, Latvia
@Platespinner you did an awesome job on these.
@RasmaSandra Thanks!
Size twelve is pretty large, that's what my nephew wore when he was 17. Now he wears size 13. You must really enjoy sewing, I never could get into it.
My mother gave up trying to teach me to sew. She decided I was completely hopeless. I eventually taught myself. I enjoy sewing, but prefer costuming and quilting to anything more mundane.
It's a talent that not everyone likes @Platespinner I used to try to do a little cross stitching when I was about 13 but it was too boring, I much preferred to take pictures.
@rebelann I went through a cross-stitch phase when I was pregnant with my youngest daughter. Insomnia was a perpetual problem. I also like to have something to do with my hands while watching tv (not that I can even remember the last time I watched something....), over the years I've knitted, crocheted, and embroidered, but hand-sewing is the least frustrating.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
That's a lot of work, and a very large rabbit.
A VERY large rabbit, but the actor is doing a fantastic job. Especially considering this is his first role since he was part of a Cinderella production more than 20 years ago.
LOL, good job! one that I would not want.
I've tackled challenges with this production that I couldn't have imagined even thinking about doing a year ago.
@Emmlex1000 (1511)
• Lagos, Nigeria
It interesting tale you have there
The tail wasn't the challenge, that bit was easy. It was the feet that were hard.
Looking forward to the photo of the feet. You certainly are busy busy with this production.
The trick was coming up with a solution that would neither damage the shoes nor cover the soles since our stage is a bit of slip hazard.
@Platespinner those turned out great
@paigea Thanks! I'm hoping to be able to watch the dress rehearsal from the audience side this evening so I'll be able to see how it all looks under the lights.
Looking forward to seeing the feet fit for the White Rabbit!!!
Voila!
@Platespinner Hooray!!! Just perfect!!!
@Corbin5 Thanks. I hope I've made them secure enough that they won't slip off during the production, but not so secure that the actor can't get his feet into his shoes.
@kepweng (6349)
is these brand of shoes Name Caterpillar??
I can see the 'feet' below. They look very authentic!
@koopharper (6318)
The scary thing is those rabbit's feet would fit my daughter.