Amazing what you can do if you try

Before I had this shoulder surgery, I whined about about all the stuff I wouldn't be able to do with one arm for six weeks. Well, turns out I can do a whole lot more than I thought. It takes me longer to do it, but it usually happens. The few things I haven't been able to do are fold bath towels (you need to be able to stretch both arms out wide), make the bed (too much pulling for one arm), open a bottle of soda, and put on earrings. But I do style my hair, although I can do it better with two hands, and I even made an orange cake with cream cheese frosting today! Cooked a good dinner (fried pork chops, stuffing and gravy, creamed corn, baked corn bread and sweet tea). My husband helped a little, but I did most of it. I'm hoping any night now I can sleep in my bed instead of the recliner. That will be heavenly. Physical Therapy's going well, no torture at all. Unless I've spoken prematurely. Sure hope not. Husband's gone deer hunting in the woods behind our house. Well, more like deer watching; he doesn't shoot as many as he used to. Although he's shot a couple lately and he has a friend who takes the meat. So I'm sitting here myLotting and hoping you guys are well. Take care of yourselves. Remember you really are capable of more than you think.
That's an awful lot of cooking to do with one hand!
I forgot, I baked the cake yesterday and frosted it today. I was kind of tired after cooking dinner, but it was worth it!
@peavey (15874)
You're right! We tend to limit ourselves in our thoughts, anyway. After my surgery (bilateral mastectomy) I was sure I wouldn't be able to even dress myself, but I did okay It was slow and a little painful at first, but I did a lot more than I thought I could, The physical therapy helps a lot.
Wow, that must have been hard physically and emotionally. Are you well now?
@peavey (15874)
@1creekgirl Pretty much, Its been 5 months, so it's pretty much all behind me now.
I sometimes try to do things with my left hand in case I ever hurt my right hand and can't use it.
Good thinking! I had surgery on my right hand (dominant one) a few years ago and had to do everything with my left hand. Hard to do!
@1creekgirl It can be tricky having to switch hands.
@Srbageldog (5419)
Way to go! Doing all that one-handed is very impressive.
It takes longer, but just glad for what I can do.
@Daelii (2022)
I'm glad you can do more than you thought you could. I'm amazed at how people can learn to do things.I saw one show were a person used their feet like hands since they didn't have any.
I think most of us are more capable than we know.
So good to hear you can accomplish so much despite having to use only one arm!!!
Thanks. I had no idea.
@nangayo (2301)
• Nairobi, Kenya
We are taught to always think positive, encourage yourself do not give up try to do something you think you cannot do and it will be possible. Keep on pressing hard and within no time you will be doing things you thought you can never do. Congratulations for the great improvement. You had the courage to stop whining and now it has born good fruits. God bless.
Thank you for the encouraging words and the blessing.
@nangayo (2301)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@1creekgirl Welcome.
@YrNemo (8469)
I agree with you about my many capabilities, but no one agrees with me .
What do they know, huh?
@YrNemo (8469)
It's amazing what you've been able to do and I'm happy to hear that physical therapy isn't as bad as you anticipated
Thanks, Marilyn. The surgery and therapy have been so much better than I had heard.
That is so awesome that your doing so much with one arm! You should be proud! =)
Thanks. I have to give God the credit. And my husband.
@MKAlubs (375)
Thanks, Vicki. That was very inspiring. I'm impressed.
Thank you so much!
@LeaPea2417 (15249)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is great you were able to do those things with one arm. Yes, we are more capable than we think.
We usually surprise ourselves!
You're doing quite well. Happy to hear.
Thanks, Kandase!
• Portland, Connecticut
I am so glad that the recovery has been less debilitating than you expected, that is always good news.
That's true. The surgery and pt hasn't been very bad at all (so far), and I'm doing more with one arm than I knew I could.
@UncleJoe (8480)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
This reminds me of my college days. In my Junior year I had three different surgeries on my left arm and hand. I am left-handed. That meant I had to learn to take notes, eat, and even ride my motorcycle, ALL right-handed. I would have given my right arm to be ambidextrous.
But if you gave your right arm, you would have been No Dextrous.
You sure are doing a lot with just one hand.
My husband still helps with some things, but I'm pleased with my progress.
You are still doing a lot of things, so that's good.
It's good to move, but not use my shoulder unti it heals more.
I,also,had shoulder surgery some time back. It took two months to fully recover. I know what you are going through. Will keep you in prayer.
Thank you for your prayers. We can never have too many people praying for us!
@xFiacre (10464)
@1creekgirl "I can do all (most) things ....."
That's so true! He is the One who gives me strength to do whatever I can do.
@tom_view (2669)
• Kolkata, India
that is good.