A Tale of Teeth, the Crazy Train Rolls Onward

@Morleyhunt (16615)
And how did you spend your evening? Dealing with elderly parents can be entertaining....it can be exasperating..... Tonight's chapter was no different, At 7:30 PM the first text arrived on my phone. "Do you know where grandpa's teeth are?" My response was.....in his mouth, earlier today! Next text....we are hunting! I suggested the green tooth cup.... No sign of it. Where did you look? Closet, bathroom, dresser, night stand, under bed, under grandpa..... By now I'm .....do you believe we are having this conversation? What was he wearing today? We'll check the laundry. Uncle was here today, call and ask him. Uncles response....have you checked grandpas mouth? Now I'm dying! A short while later I get another text....teeth have been found...they were in the roommates denture cup. I think my daughter and my niece might need some intense therapy after their evening visit with their grandfather. The crazy train continues.....
• Portland, Connecticut
lol As my mother is in a nursing home, I am quite familiar with these exciting events, they are commonplace and yes, entertaining.
• Marion, Kansas
I remember social services at one nursing home where I did housekeeping using an engraving tool to put initials or names on dentures.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
The things memories are made of. Too funny for words.
It is an adventure of the strange kind, for sure. My elderly dad still has his teeth, but as for his hearing aides, we gave up. Lost 'em all.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
The things I have searched for....the places I have searched....like I said...intense therapy might be required. It's a good think we all have a healthy sense of the absurd...
@Morleyhunt So true. I had to take my dad to the walk in clinic due to his fiddling with his hearing aide so much that the hearing aide broke and part of it was stuck in his ear. What fun!!! He has lost 3 and each was $5,000. No more hearing aides for Dad.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
@Corbin5 he obviously doesn't want to hear.
Tony`s sister had COPD and her mind was going, she was the oldest and 16 years older than Tony, people often asked if she was my mother. When she was being moved from one nursing home to another she GAVE her teeth away, told the nursing home she did not need them give them to someone who did. We drove a 2 hour round trip to get her teeth, at the nurse station. Teeth can be a problem in the nursing homes. Net time check the roommates stuff first
@Morleyhunt (16615)
I wasn't there...it was my niece and daughter searching. The roommate was sleeping. When he woke...he found the teeth.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
That's hilarious.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
Considering all the things we've searched for in the last couple of years...this is probably the most bizarre. My daughter was with my father...I was 25 miles away....my brother who also go into the "search" was about 10 miles away. I'm not sure who laughed harder. This is a story that will be pulled out from time to time. My daughter and I did a similar search for a missing wallet at a motel a few years ago. We finally took my father to the front desk to report the missing wallet...when....he pulled it out of his pocket.
Oh goodness, it's more exasperating than entertaining.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
It was so similar to the time we searched for his missing wallet....that was in his pocket.
@Morleyhunt Imagine that my mother called me last night to ask where I have put her jewels. I live 100 miles from her, how does she think I have touched her jewels? Sometimes I get mad.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
@LadyDuck I've had that reaction. He called me on Sunday to find out why I hadn't come...hello...I told him I was not going to run that distance more than once a week and I had been there four times already (in four days). He told my brother, I said I was busy and hung up on him....maybe I should do that next time.
@ridingbet (37924)
hahaha! i am quietly laughing out loud here. my son asked me why, i did not reply. oh golly, such an amusing conversation you have had here.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
One of many bizarre and amusing experiences we have with my aging father.
@ridingbet (37924)
@Morleyhunt once, my sister was looking endlessly for her specs. when i told her it is in her head, she still was angry and embarrassed.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
@ridingbet I lost my cellphone once....I was talking to my sister on the missing cellphone....that was embarrassing.
It's a good job that you can laugh about it or else you might be tearing your hair out
@Morleyhunt (16615)
If I find the humour in the situation I can laugh. I'm afraid that if I give in to the urge to cry, I may never stop. I think a serious meltdown is somewhere in my future...I'm hoping I can keep it at bay.
@Morleyhunt Oh I hope you can!
om gosh lol That is funny. I am glad that they finally located his dentures.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
I'm glad they turned up....but really those young ladies....may never fully recover. I'm still laughing.
@Morleyhunt lol i don't imagine they will
@Platespinner (18502)
That's hilarious!
@Morleyhunt (16615)
Those texts were flying back and forth....then a phone conversation with the brother and more texting. You drove ten hours to talk about poop....your nieces went for an evening visit and may never recover....my daughter shudders as she tells me...I had to TOUCH grandpas teeth.
@Morleyhunt It's a good thing we're all able to laugh about this sort of stuff!
Oh dear. I suspect missing teeth are relatively common in nursing homes.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
I'm sure it's quite common. For these two young women....it was a new experience. Apparently they managed to get as far as the elevator before they could no longer contain their amusement. Hysterical laughter as they rode down to the ground floor.
@Morleyhunt I can just imagine it.
@FayeHazel (11650)
Ah, that is entertaining for sure.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
It's entertaining...it's exasperating....its tear your hair out and scream.... I keep repeating....this too, shall pass!
I've been there too and it's an ongoing crazy train. At least they found them even if they were traumatized
@Morleyhunt (16615)
It's giving both of them a tale to tell, and providing me with an awesome story to share here on mylot. There are several Mylotters who like you have worn these shoes and can totally relate to the frustration and the amusement.
@rey123 (714)
Some people have a stereotyped belief.They believe that having old people around is always burdensome.I am sure those people will change their mind after reading fun and crazy experiences as this one........
@Morleyhunt (16615)
Oh the stories we could tell.... I have a voicemail I need to record and save....that should be another educational experience for me.
• Riga, Latvia
Good one. Just have to show a great deal of patience and understanding but yes, of course one tends to want to just laugh out loud. Too bad one cannot but a sensor on grandpa's dentures so when lost you could clap and listen for the beep
@Morleyhunt (16615)
I love that idea. We'd probably be shocked at the tale those teeth could tell.
@UncleJoe (8531)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Where would we be without text? LOL
@Morleyhunt (16615)
To think, a few years ago I did not know how to text.
• Marion, Kansas
Some patients with dementia have been known to throw their teeth in the trash, because they are uncomfortable.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
He doesn't have dementia. He just loses things. I've searched for his wallet...more times than I can count, his watch, his keys, his teeth, his pen....you name it...I've searched for it.
That sounds like a crazy conversation to have.
@Morleyhunt (16615)
When my husband got home from work I relayed the conversation to him. He laughed so hard.....
@sol_cee (13594)
• Japan
Sounds cryptic to me at first but all detective works are. Lol