What a depressing outing!

@Fleura (5853)
United Kingdom
A little while ago I was helping out at an event, manning a stall for an organisation where I volunteer. The event was a sort of ‘Freshers’ Fair’ for the over 50s and it sounded like a good idea. Basically an outlet for various organisations to promote themselves/ get noticed by older people, and I can imagine there may be people who have retired or whose children have grown up who then find themselves with time on their hands and aren’t sure what to do, who might be interested in helping out at public institutions, going back to education or taking up a new sport, for example. The reality, though, was rather different. More than half of the stalls, and the ones with the biggest banners, were health-related. There was the stroke association, disability awareness, organisations for the blind, the deaf, disability advocates, dementia care, assisted living, heart disease… I could go on. It was like “Look what’s in store for you now you’ve hit 50!” There were other organisations there as well, with opportunities for volunteering or taking part in local museums or theatres, the University of the Third Age and a couple of sports-related groups, but they tended to be more low-key and it was all the health issues that dominated the scene. I mean of course I understand that these are all important issues and people need to be able to get the right help, but surely at only 50 there are far more positive things ahead as well? All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2017.
@Morleyhunt (15947)
I currently don't have time to volunteer...I'm to busy being caregiver to my elderly father. In six months I'm moving.....far away. The first thing I intend to do is volunteer with the local seniors home with portering residents. If that isn't an option there is a local volunteer action committee I can get involved with. Watching my elderly fathe has been educational. I'm 61....I don't feel old.
@Fleura (5853)
So you're swapping caring for one elderly relative for caring for a bunch of elderly strangers? I know what you mean about 'educational'; fortunately neither of my parents really hit 'old age' until they were at least 85. After that though I was rather taken aback (and I suspect they were too) at how fast things could go downhill.
Welcome to the world of us oldsters.
@Fleura (5853)
Surely 50 isn't 'old'? It's the prime of life!
@Fleura The downside of life is reality.
@m_audrey6788 (10793)
Wow! What a wonderful event that is! I`m glad you had a chance to help out on events like that. I understand your feeling of discovering those kind of things but we have to face the truth that turning age 50 is a start of our health problem but it`s up to us if we let it happen without trying anything to be healthy. Right? That event will surely a big help for elders who needed it
@Fleura (5853)
I agree it was a good idea, it just would have been nice if it had been a bit more positive. I mean 50 isn't really old, surely; most people have at least another 15 years of working life ahead of them at that point.
@Fleura I got your point but I think it`s only for prevention purposes Don`t get depressed my friend People needed to be aware on how and what to do if their health starts to be different and can do something about it before worst things happens
@xFiacre (10391)
@fleura On the housing estate where I work elderly people get a free bus trip to the seaside when they turn 50!!! Since when was 50 old? Mind you, quite a lot of 30 year olds there look as if they are 60.
@Fleura (5853)
That is rather early isn't it? Surely they are in the middle of their working life at that point! My parents always refused to go to any of those sort of 'oldies events' even well into their 80s.
That does sound rather depressing to me too.
@Fleura (5853)
I know we may have any or all of these problems ahead of us, but I was hoping for a bit more time!
It does sound as though it was all a bit negative. I guess the health organisations feel the need to get their message out - even at 50!
@nangayo (2166)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Seems to have been an educative event in health area. Its always good to volunteer once in a while. You get new friends and learn more out there.
@Fleura (5853)
I've been volunteering for many years, it's also a way to do things I enjoy for free!
• Portland, Connecticut
lol When you get older, health is one thing you no longer take for granted so I do understand why this would have interested the over 50 crowd.
@PainsOnSlate (19021)
That sounds like a depressing event to visit, It might be the reason I've never been to one. The thing that makes our life better is the opening a YMCA nearby and we go every day and get the exercise and information we need. Its amazing to me and I am one, of all the seniors who go to the Y daily.
It is good to volunteer, cause it makes you feel good inside by helping others, but if its giving you stress and all that then yeah i guess its a bad day to consider.
@YrNemo (7625)
Sounds like they were all about the negative sides of over the hill age group! Sad! (But I've often listened to ladies in their mid 60s chatted to each other in stores, 'oh, long time no see, how have you been? We have been very busy lately with dancing night on this this this day, and oh, do you go to that party for the seniors? blah blah blah...' They went on like that for hours I swear...
You are right. That is sad. I would think there would be more entertainment type booths up or something more "fun"