Really?

@ridingbet (46640)
That was what I uttered when a student who was absent last Friday told me his reason why he did not give me his admission slip that should be taken from their prefect of discipline in school yesterday since classes already resumed. I asked him why he was absent; his reason was unacceptable for me. He said he was not able to sleep at night and he slept at 6AM. The reason was online games. Because he did not submit his admission slip, he is still considered absent today, and unless he gives me his slip tomorrow, he is still absent, and that will be 3 absences- last Thursday, today, and tomorrow. (3 absences is equivalent to 3 make-up duties, and 1 make-up duty costs P320.) How do you deal with somebody’s unacceptable reason for his absence or tardiness?
I cannot stand people who are not on time. I am always punctual, I respect the time of the others I pretend that the others respect my time.
@ridingbet (46640)
that should be the case. we who are punctual expect others to be punctual as well, especially if we leave our post and they are the incoming.
@ridingbet This is my opinion, it's very rude to make people wait.
@ridingbet (46640)
@LadyDuck we have similar belief regarding punctuality.
I don't give them their salary for that day.
@ridingbet (46640)
yes, and in my case, he is just a student. this morning, he also came in super-late at 7:45. i asked him why he was so late, he answered that he woke up at 7am. i once again scolded him with a raised voice, and even told him to shift his course to something wherein punctuality is not a requirement.
He is not interested in his studies if he prefers online games which keep him awake at night.
@ridingbet (46640)
yes he does. he came in late this morning. he woke up at 7AM, according to him
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
He admitted that he was absent because he spent the night playing online games? He must think he is very funny. I hope he has the extra cash for make-up duties. He should be ashamed that he is not focused on his studies and duties!
@ridingbet (46640)
his parents are both overseas workers just to have him finish his studies. maybe he thought that his parents are not working hard for sending him money. this morning, he said he woke up at 7am, so i scolded him.
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@ridingbet he sounds like a real brat. I am sorry he does not work harder to show his parents that he appreciates what they are doing for him.
@ridingbet (46640)
@bluesa if he is receiving a failing mark and is advised to transfer school, maybe he will think about the attitude he had while being a student in the college where i handle them
Wow. That is one very poor excuse. I taught in elementary and middle schools. If a student had a poor excuse for an absence, there was not much I could do. Parents ruled in those schools. The schools were in very affluent suburbs, therefore, the administrators did not want to upset the parents.
@ridingbet (46640)
when the students are having more make-up duties, usually the parents are called by our dean. first offense is always verbal reprimand.
@Morleyhunt (19539)
Society as a whole does not respect people's time. Me, I am a stickler for being on time. The thought of being late gives me ulcers. Clearly this young man needs to be disciplined....hopefully he learns some self discipline.
@ridingbet (46640)
he is a very undisciplined student. he is sarcastic, and appears to be superior than his classmates. i doubt if he will succeed.
@m_audrey6788 (13820)
I think your student is not interested with his schooling I really felt bad about seeing or knowing students who less cares about their studies because they can afford to pay those school fees without a problem while others is working so hard to earn for their own schooling expenses In my own opinion, giving him suspension will not wake him up from his irresponsible act but the idea of 3 make up duties is a good idea to me
@ridingbet (46640)
it is the administration's responsibility to give action to what the student does. his parents are both OFW and maybe he thinks working abroad is not difficult.
@ridingbet Oh ok! Then a guidance counseling will be much better than punishing him by having extra work because he`ll just hate it without understanding about his problem
@ridingbet (46640)
@m_audrey6788 he should think that money is not just gathered like flowers in the garden. that is a dilemma of parents working abroad and who cannot guide their kids to school.
@ilocosboy (34344)
that student will learn the discipline. what you did was good.
@ridingbet (46640)
that is what we elders must teach the young ones, right, kabsat?
@ilocosboy (34344)
yeah, to discipline them
He needs to get rid of that hobby specially that he is still a student. It's costly more these days.
@ridingbet (46640)
true. what more if he is already a professional nurse?