MATERIAL WHIRL.

image by pixabay
Madonna sang about the Material Girl; Aren't we all living in a material whirl? Money, money, money, - must have it at any cost; Could you live without it? - no, you'd be lost. Shopping online, shopping offline; Finding the best deals consume our minds. Holidays arrive and we spend,spend,spend; Do we think of the future?- what might be just around the bend? Johnny is a crime lord with friends in high places; He never has to bend to tie his shoe laces. He is admired and envied despite his many crimes; People love him for his wealth while ignoring the slime. Are you caught up in a material whirl ? Slow down the pace or it will swallow you for sure. A Kandase original.
No I am not also.Could care less.Most of them are damaged by this.
There was a time when I used to be a part of the madding crowd - not anymore. Of course Christmas is my favorite time of year and I still decorate my house and exchange gifts.
@Kandae11 Yes,I guess most of us experience this.
Very well written. No, I am not caught up in a material whirl. We do not even exchange Christmas gifts anymore.
I have no problem with exchanging gifts at Christmas - but some of us tend to overspend and the store owners simply love it.
• Midland, Michigan
@Kandae11 People in our area tend to overspend each week just on their groceries. It's quite common for many to say they only came in for milk, or for five things, but yet, their bill comes to well over one or two hundred dollars. Many people either don't know how or don't care to learn how to live within their means.We have a problem with that to a degree, but more because of how our business fluctuates because of the weather, not because we buy what we don't need.
@Kandae11 We are all adults, the fact to choose a gift had become the Christmas nightmare, so we decided to stop to stress, enjoy the celebration and have dinner and lunch all together.
• Midland, Michigan
Good job, Kandase. I'm not sure that I knew you write a bit of poetry from time to time like others here. I need to make money to get caught up with bills so when I'm older I won't have to be so concerned about how much is coming in. Unlike most people my age, I won't have a retirement fund to rely on. Any of that I did have was used to pay bills when my husband first went into the hospital back in 2008. Since then, I've been working to pay off what we owe that we got behind on and what we borrowed from family and loans. We don't spend much money at all on gifts each year because it simply isn't in our budget. We do participate in a Christmas Chinese auction where we might purchase something for ten dollars to give and get something in return, but some years we do just one of us rather than all four. I'd much rather spend the time with family than shopping for things people already have too much of. We tend to not buy for ourselves either. That way we have one less bill to have to deal with after the holidays are done. I've lived on a part-time income before and once our bills are paid off, if necessary I'm sure I could do it again, if needed.
I first started writing poetry at Bubblews, I think they were more appreciated there. Yes it is wise to cultivate that nest egg for the later years - it is always best to be prepared for eventualities. Christmas seemed to arrive so quickly this year and I am thinking - after Christmas and New Year, we'll be buying for Valentine 's day - then Mother's Day, Father"s Day , Easter - a continuous whirl of spending holidays - but at least the store owners head for the bank smiling.
• Midland, Michigan
@Kandae11 And it does provide many of us with jobs, since that is what I've done for the last nineteen years, work in a store that has both groceries and merchandise, and it's not Wally World.
@MarshaMusselman You are so right there - more jobs are available then ,which keeps the economy turning. More jobs, more money to spend.
Material things bring you happiness but money is needed but you have to seek your own happiness in your life.
I agree with you there - we need money to live comfortably and buy the things we need. When pay day arrives at the workplace, many are happy when the paycheck is received - while some are unhappy because according to them that money is already spent. And have you noticed the many posts and how happy members are when they see the Mylot dollar signs? Yes, money does bring happiness - the problem arises when we obsess about it and would do anything t get it.
It's a shame so many are caught up in a continual whirl of buying. It's also surprising how we can manage on so little.
When it is important to us we make it work. Some of the gifts I give are usually handcrafted items made by me - as well as paintings.
I seem to be caught up in it more than I like.
I don't mind the shopping whirl.
@Kandae11 I do not enjoy shopping.
@paigea I like it, but not in crowded stores.
Love your poem. I would like to say I'm not a material girl, but I do like some comforts.
Me too. Comforts make me happy. Love the new profile pic.
@Kandae11 Thanks.
I love material things, they bring me joy but they don't bring me happiness. But I mostly buy those material things for myself and don't expect others to give them to me.
I like material things too, especially those I need - sometimes we buy things that we can certainly do without - then whine when we fall on hard times.
@Kandae11 yeah I was like that in the past but not anymore.
This is good. Very true words.
Thank you.
@YrNemo (8741)
I like that song & the video clip of Madona. I don't know I am one or not, but I constantly buy something for others (99.9% of the time!).
If you can call it that, I would say giving is one of my weaknesses - without expecting anything in return.
@YrNemo (8741)
I like the saying that less is more
It certainly can be.
@1hopefulman (20395)
Good one! I try to store my treasure in heaven where it is safe.
That is the best place.
@LoriAMoore (10121)
Nope, material things mean nothing to me.
We must leave them all behind anyway.
@Bluedoll (16801)
We are told material wealth will lead to happiness. I like Madonna's video, in it material girl did want that but at the end different story.
When one has too much of it - what else is left to have? then discontent sets in. However if one has enough to pay one's bills - including doctor's bills. One can take a vacation once a year and enjoy some creature comforts - no living from one paycheck to the other - that would mean happiness for some of us.
I'm not caught up in the material world and although I like nice things I don't spend above what I can afford.
Too many like to "keep up with the Joneses".
@FayeHazel (11810)
Very nice and appropriate
Thank you.
Nice poem, but not sure what to make of the future.
Thank you. The future is a mystery really.
@responsiveme (14454)
Good poem...The last part is true for me....While money does get me lots of things I set my own pace for earning it
Very wise.
@ridingbet (38080)
i save, and i don't overspend as well
Money is very necessary, but we shouldn't spend it all.
@Freelanzer (6459)
I am not. It annoys me to see others salivating over how beautiful one is even though they use a ton of botox. Or how much money someone has even when they get it by cheating. We applaud celebrities even when they are slime.
Some people are easily impressed by looks or wealth - even if that wealth was achieved by unlawful methods.