What music did your parents listen to that you still enjoy?

My parents use to listen to a lot of the older country music. There was always music playing in our house. I always had a love for Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty, along with Dolly Parton, Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash, to name a few. At Christmas time I enjoy listen to the older Christmas songs by these artists and others. I like a wide variety of music and of course as I got older I found the music that I enjoyed and that everybody was listening to at the time. I love for the older rock tunes. What records or tapes did your parents listen to while you were growing up that you still like today?
My mother was a 50s rock and roller so I grew up with Elvis etc. Can't say it's my rock tastes.
My mom never was a fan of Elvis so he was never played at our house.
My parents listened to music popular during the 40s. And classical music. I like some of that.
That is good that they influenced you with their music.
My parents listened to whatever was popular at the time--80's disco and rock, 90's alternative rock, etc. They never went backwards to music from their past.
that is good. so you heard a wide variety of music.
@Happy2BeMe absolutely.
My dad studied voice in New York, and he did perform. We grew up listening to opera. I do not like opera. My brother was singing songs from Pagliacci, an Italian opera, when he was a little kid since he mimicked Dad when Dad practiced.
Wow that is so cool. I would have liked to have heard them sing.
@Happy2BeMe My siblings and I really do not like opera at all due to opera overload. I am sure my dad is singing some song from an opera in that photo.
@Corbin5 What a great picture of your Dad. He must have been really good.
@Daelii (5901)
Everything and anything. My first concert was the Rolling Stones and I was 7. I'll never forget it and I love that band among others still. :)
That must have been so cool as a 7 year old going to such a concert.
@Daelii (5901)
@Happy2BeMe yes for me and not so much for my brother. He was supposed to go but got grounded...So my mom took me instead of letting the ticket go to waste.
@Daelii you were very lucky! Pays to be good!
@hereandthere (32754)
music from the 50s and 60s like frank sinatra, matt monro, four aces, andy williams, paul anka, perry como, etc. i also remember the ray coniff christmas album.
Good music! I listened to some of that too.
@Happy2BeMe i noticed with music from that era, they're so relaxing, easy to understand, and easy to sing along to
@hereandthere Yes it is. I agree.
• Rochester, New York
My mom used to listen to a lot of older country music as well and she listened to a lot of Elvis. She would listen to some Dolly Parton as well. I have a few Dolly songs that I listen to, but i mostly listen to Classic Rock. Kansas is my favorite.
Kansas is also one of my favorite. I like a lot of the 70s rock music.
@CinnamonGrl (6065)
• Paradise, California
My parents were WW II generation (I'm 66.) So they listened to a lot of big band music. I like most of that, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, etc. My mom loved musicals, so we also grew up hearing a lot of music from Rogers & Hammerstein, Lerner & Leowe, etc. I still like that too.
Very nice. I enjoy big band music and musicals.
• Peoria, Arizona
My mom listens to the same stuff I do and raised me on 80s and 90s rock, punk, and grunge. Which I love, everyone knows I am a grunge baby for life. And I show her new bands that I like.
That is great that the two of you have the love of the same music
• Peoria, Arizona
@Happy2BeMe Heck yeah, we listen to the same things all the time and go to concerts and such.
@DesirousDreamer that is great yoir mom and you are very close
@peachpurple (12770)
my mom loves Kenny Rogers, beatles and even Michael Learns to rock !
Those were good choice of music. I listened to those too.
@peachpurple (12770)
@Happy2BeMe yeah, they love classic and ballads
@peachpurple My dad use to enjoy balllads
@Ithink (10500)
The ones you named are a few, add in Elvis (who my 10 year old adores..lol) Charlie Pride and I know I'm missing some here. I like all kinds of music, well other then opera. I can take Classical in small doses. The rest I'm game.
Yes Charlie Pride was very popular at our house too.
@Ithink (10500)
@Happy2BeMe My mom had the biggest crush on him, in fact I think she still does!
@Ithink that is awesome.
I love the Eagles that my dad listened to along with Melissa Etheridge. My mom listened to Lynn Anderson who I LOVE! And my mom listened to the older Christmas music as well which still makes me smile when I hear them. =)
I love the Eagles. Awesome band. My mom also listened to Lynn Anderson. She had many of her albums which my oldest sister has now. I really like her too.
@Happy2BeMe I agree! =) My favorite is Never promised you a rose garden by Lynn Anderson.
@LovingMyBabies very good song. I remember singing that song when i was a kid. lol
They listened to whatever was current at the time pretty much, although some of Dad's jazz albums were a couple years older than me. I go and dig through Dad's LP collection occasionally and play some old favorites from my younger days. Bill Doggett, Buddy Rich, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis...there is quite a bit I grew up on that I still like to hear.
Stop that twistin in here by Bill Doggett 1962, recorded from the Columbia LP titled OOPS!, and played on a Dual Turntable with Ortofon 030 cartridge through...
That is very cool that you have his collection. What a great way to travel down memory lane.
@Happy2BeMe I just realized I have the 8th or 9th album in that photo
@JolietJake oh very cool!!
My parents liked Polka music. I hate polka music. My mother also liked the song Baby Elephant Walk - I think that was the name of it, and Begin the Beguine. Mom played those a lot. Me, I haven't played or listened to it since I left home. I liked Elvis growing up.
Sometimes you hear things so often that it turns you against it.
@FourWalls (15174)
Quick answer: most of it. My parents had lots of country music, and I still have most of those albums. We also had a few "pop" singers like Teresa Brewer, the Platters, and for some reason, "The French Song" by Lucille Starr. I still love it all.
that is some great music too. I love the older music
Nice. For me its some classic rock. Some songs remind me of childhood for sure.
I love classic rock. That is my music of choice on the weekends.
My dad listened to some country but not much and my mom wasn't a music lover at all. I don't know where I got my love of music from but I'm lost if some sort of music isn't playing.
I usually have some type of music playing either at work or at home.
I love the country songsand often listened to it for hours at a time. I am going to listen to music after this show goes off. Growing up it was ragee music all the time. Bob marley was the king in our house. Now I am hooked on Bruno Mars. love him and taylor swift.
Bob Marley was always a favorite growing up. Bruno Mars is really good. I like him too. I listen to a lot of country music now.
My father loved the Operas and Classical music, I grew up listening to those beautiful arias.
That is very nice music.
@shubhu3 (18016)
• New Delhi, India
Ummm slow ,music.