When Life Hands You Bananas, Make Ice Cream! Seriously!

@Raelove (17346)
Saco, Maine
If I hadn't decided to try this myself, I never would have believed it. I came across this awhile back while looking for other ways to use bananas, but I was skeptical. Plus, the recipe, if you can call it that, required the use of a food processor, and all I have is one of those small Ninja choppers that holds just 2 cups. Still, I was curious. So the other day, I got a small sandwich bag of sliced bananas out of the freezer and tried it. And the results were as magical as the recipe directions had stated. Start by peeling and slicing 2 partially-ripened bananas. Place them in a freezer container or resealable bag and freeze for a couple of hours or overnight. The next day, take them out of the bag and place them in a food processor with the chopper blade installed. That's it. No other ingredients are called for at this stage, but I'll get to that later. Start by pulsing the banana slices until they fall apart and start to come together like a loose dough, which should take about 30 seconds. Once that happens, continue pulsing. And all of a sudden, the mixture will turn into the consistency of real ice cream. I kid you not. This really does happen. At this point, stop the processor and either eat it right away or put it in a storage container and pop it in the freezer. The first time I made this, I used just the bananas. And while the final product did have the same exact creamy consistency of ice cream, it tasted, well, too banana-ey. The next time I made it, I added about 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and pulsed the "ice cream" a few more times, and voila! I had what has to be about the closest you can get to real ice cream without using any cream, sugar or any of the other ingredients that go into it. Like I said, I was totally skeptical at first. Nah...this isn't gonna work, I thought. But it does. And considering that all it takes is a couple of bananas, which are good for you, what's not to love? I just made some and will have it tonight as my evening snack. The next time I do it, I'm going to add a little chocolate syrup and see how that turns out! (Public Domain Image)
I use ripe bananas for dessert. I squash a banana and mix it with (vanilla) yoghurt and cottage cheese and a bit of sugar.
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
That sounds good, too.
. @MALUSE , That banana concoction sounds pretty good.
@marlina It is!
I would like to try this!! We only have a blender, but not sure if that would work well.
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
Give it a shot. I think if you try it with just one banana to start with, it just might work. Good luck!!!
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
@kobesbuddy (52686)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yikes, banana ice cream use to be my first choice, at our local ice-cream shop! LOL
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, then you have GOT to try this. You cannot mess this up, and it is SO good, and totally fulfills my need for something cold and creamy.
@kobesbuddy (52686)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Raelove I'd love to make my own banana ice cream, yummy!
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
@kobesbuddy Give it a try. All you need are bananas and a food processor!
@AkoPinay (10088)
I'm lazy so I just eat fresh ripe banana
No, I'm not going crazy but I would like to talk about BANANAS-- that luscious tropical fruit that many foreigners crave to savor. I like to cook and eat banana chips. Delicious but quite hard to prepare. You need to peel raw bananas and mind you, they
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
Then you are definitely missing out!
Sounds interesting. I will eat bananas in cereal or alone Rachel.
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
This is "alone." There is nothing added to it unless you want to use the vanilla. It's just a frozen banana whipped into a froth. And it is very good.
@Raelove It sounds interesting.
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
@Hannihar It is quite miraculous as you see it go from frozen bits of banana to the consistency of ice cream.
@sallypup (27987)
• Moses Lake, Washington
You sure grabbed my attention. I make a banana smoothy at least once a week cause I have quit sugared cocoa. I blend up a ripe banana with almond milk and cocoa and enjoy. The banana is the sugar.
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
Right. I make banana smoothies, too. This is the same thing minus the milk. Turns it to ice cream consistency.
@sallypup (27987)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Raelove I only have a blender but your idea intrigues me.
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
@sallypup I suggested to another MyLotter who also just has a blender to try it with one banana. That should work.
Thanks, I am going to try this for sure. I am skeptical right now.
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
It really does work. You just have to keep pulsing till it "happens." And after freezing some, I can say that it's much better to eat it right when you make it.
What is there to be sceptical about?
@Icydoll (23536)
That's interesting want to give it a try
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
It is very good. The only thing is you have to eat it right away. It's not good once it's been frozen.
Sounds great. I'll certainly be trying it.
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
Not much work at all. But like I just told Marlina, it's best if eaten right away. Freezing affects the texture and it's not as creamy.
I usually make a banana smoothie. I add oats, cinnamon and almond milk - then blend it all up.
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
A different version...all healthy.
@Bluedoll (17054)
Oh my goodness this isn't lemon at all. It is a treat and sounds healthier than say unhealthy ones. I've had dried slices banana too and they are just like candy. It feels good to eat something that isn't all chemicals.
@Raelove (17346)
• Saco, Maine
Yes it is.
• Pamplona, Spain
I will have a go at that one day and I have not got one of those things yet a blender I think it is you call it.