My older brother's great grand daughter got bit by a rattle snake but she survived.

Dallas, Texas
He called me on the phone about it just now. His great grand daughter is 15. Talk about things happening in clusters, just a month ago, one of my wife's sons got bit by a tarantula. Well I just Googled it and they tell us the tarantula spider can hurt like a bee sting and in some cases, cause localized swelling, but they seldom are reported to have killed a human. So that is good to know.
A rattle snake sounds a lot more dangerous than a tarantula. This is scary.
• Dallas, Texas
Yes it is. I only found out just a day ago. The location where this occurred is not known to me now. I will have to get back with my brother via landline and find out the specifics of this. I don't know if it was in a back yard or a park or some other location. I am certainly glad that she suffered no ill effects from the bite. She had to get help fast to make it though the ordeal.
@lookatdesktop I am scared by rattle snakes, we do not have any here, but I remember that when I traveled through California, Arizona or Texas, my worst fear was to encounter a rattle snake.
• Dallas, Texas
@LadyDuck In Colorado, in the mountains along the Rio Blanco River, they walk around an use a special instrument to grab and catch those snakes. We were camping for a few days in Southern Colorado many summers back and they were all walking through, past out campsite, using long poles and catching snakes. I had no idea we were camped right in the middle of snake land.
@Ithink (10536)
Oh my! I'm glad she is alright, scary for sure!
• Dallas, Texas
I was once saved from a rattler snake when my grandfather shot it with his shotgun while I slept in a hammock as an infant.
@Ithink (10536)
@lookatdesktop Wow! Bet that woke you up! Yeah I'm not big on snakes or spiders.
• Dallas, Texas
@Ithink , I don't even remember it happening. I was only 1 or 2 years old, but my older brother recalls the event as if it happened just yesterday. He has a clear memory of the past and remembers lots of interesting things about our grand parents and our aunts and uncles and cousins. He is a walking history book.
How terrifying. Glad she is okay.
• Dallas, Texas
I hope she is in no danger of complications, but I know it must have been an emotionally traumatic experience for a 15 year old girl.
@lookatdesktop Yes I would imagine. I am terrified of snakes so I can't even begin to imagine such a thing.
• Dallas, Texas
@Happy2BeMe , Basically, I imagine they might have been camping in the woods. You can get a snake bite just about anywhere if you don't keep your lawn mowed and free of piles of old wood and grass and branches and such. We keep our area pretty clear but I do have a few mulch piles I use to make compost for plants in the spring but the only thing I get are lots of lizards and earth worms which don't bother me at all. A few garden snakes also and once in a while even a frog or two.
That is good to know! I think the most deadly spider bite in the US is the Brown Recluse and of course we have them here..! Thank goodness his grandaughter is OK.
• Dallas, Texas
Yep. That spider lives in Texas.
That's really scary. I think I have heard from the news that the antidote to a snake bite is the snake venom too.
• Dallas, Texas
Yes, that is probably right. I don't know any details because my brother cut our conversation very short after he told me the news. I have to wait for him to call me to let me know the details.
Oh jeez.
• Dallas, Texas
Yea, quite a bad thing.
Wow how scary. Glad she is ok.
• Dallas, Texas
Yea, my big brother is happy about it too. He just called me to tell me about it. His great grand daughter was very fortunate.