And THIS is why I hate fall :-(

So I got the mower out yesterday, hooked up the leaf rake, and did the side yard. Hauled all the leaves out front and dumped them for the city to pick up. City hasn't picked them up yet, but that's okay, not sure what day they come. But at 2:00 yesterday afternoon, the side yard was clean. 10:30 this morning, it looks like this. That is what fell late yesterday afternoon and overnight. Makes me wanna just start chopping down trees.
@sabtraversa (13338)
What's wrong with the leaves? It's a beautiful landscape, and all that 'garbage' will rot and work as fertilizer. Nature knows what to do, but humans are too stubborn. At worst, you get some grass snakes, but hopefully your hunter will do a great job.
Leaves do not decompose over one winter is one problem.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@JolietJake Not a problem, unless you want a lawn that evokes your neighbor's envy.
@yugocean (8375)
@sabtraversa I too like that beauty of nature with Autumn leaves fall, ground gets leafy nutrition and trees get new leaves.
You can't win this time of year! I am sure Scar was laying back laughing at you!!
He doesn't like the mower much...too noisy
@JolietJake I don't blame him.
All the leaves are so pretty! But I would never do this job till they are all on the ground, UNLESS..... I am being paid by the hour and it was not my lawn
If I waited for that, I'd never see the lawn at all.
I know, it's not funny. I forgot to put the net on the pond this year, it's full of leaves.
Dad come back from Florida today, I thought I'd have the yard all nice and neat when he showed up for his mail and newspapers...should've taken a damn photo
@JolietJake Too bad you did not take a photo, we always forget to do the right thing.
@nela13 (7067)
• Portugal
You will love those trees during the summer for sure
Is there any way to train the leaves to fall in someone else's yard?
@nela13 (7067)
• Portugal
@JolietJake that could be a solution
At least you didn't have to rake them all by hand.
I wish we didn't have a leaf burn-ban, I could just torch the yard
@TheSojourner (17454)
Or, you could rake them up all in a big pile and play like you were 7yo again!!
Goodness, I'm glad our gum trees don't shed like this.
Those are basically from my oaks, but my gum tree in the front yard is just as bad...plus the spiky gumballs it drops
@JolietJake Do you know what type of gum it is? I'd be interested to know.
@JudyEv American Sweetgum
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Liquidambar styraciflua Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 2.3) Scientific classification Kingdom: Plantae Clade: Angiosperms Clade: Eudicots Order: Saxifragales Family: Altingiaceae Ge
• Midland, Michigan
At least you got done what you did, and you didn't have to do it by hand. I just found out they may be in our area either monday or tuesday and I have yet to get any of them into the road. There's a website in our area where people can check to see how soon they are coming to the next section, maybe your city has a similar info line?
We have to check the local paper, which I don't subscribe to
• Midland, Michigan
@JolietJake Maybe some of your neighbors do, or a store near you where you can look it up and not buy? Our area probably lets people know in the paper too, but it's also shown online where they've been and where they're headed.
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
Use the weed blower and just blow all the leaves on your next door neighbors' properties @JolietJake .
That would take more time than using the leaf rake and they'd just blow back
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
@JolietJake Yeah, probably dang-nab-it.
I'd love to have as much leaves as you have, they would suffocate them thar weeds.
I'd ship 'em to ya if the rates weren't so freakin' high
Hey, thanks for the thought @JolietJake I don't understand why people have to rake up leaves, it's a natural part of a trees cycle and they help keep the tree roots nourished.
@BarBaraPrz (19869)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Oh, just mow them!
Dad's yard, Dad's way...
@BarBaraPrz (19869)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@JolietJake Oh, pooh!
You have a rather endless task ahead of you until the snow makes it way to cover the ground.
I don't even wanna discuss that, because during the winter is when all the gumballs fall and after the snow thaws I have to clean all those up...about time to pave the yard ...
@responsiveme (16399)
All those Fall photos look perfectly wonderful to me...But the again I don't experience the raking part Can't you make a bonfire in your yard?
Nope, the town has a burn-ban
@kobesbuddy (46742)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We tried that(chopping down three trees) and it didn't work! Neighbors on both sides have huge trees, that dump on our yard until mid December. We don't have any oak trees, but today our yard is totally buried in oak leaves!:( We have one maple in the back yard and four maples out front. The birch tree doesn't do anything at all.
@cherriefic (4690)
• Baguio, Philippines
It's not gonna be easy to keep up with that.
@EddieHands (37845)
Yeah the only thing I like about fall is pumpkins.. and pumpkin spice coffee... Blessings !!!
Sad but too true, however I would not give up the trees. We have one very large red maple in our yard and that does not make a pretty mess like yours.
Ahh jeez. I know I spent many hours that I will never get back raking up leaves. Its even worse in the city when its your neighbors trees dropping their leaves in your yard..grr
@JESSY3236 (6536)
I know. I let my neighbors or the wind take care of the leaves. Although it has rained the past two days.