Urban Legend: Physical Therapy is always torture

I've had my third PT session and it hasn't been at all the horrible experience I've heard it can be. I was telling my Therapist (and I've had three different ones) how I dreaded it so much because of all the horror stories I've heard. She said that some people tolerate pain better than others and have different issues, but if a therapist is causing severe pain or bringing tears to your eyes, then she's not doing her job right. You need to feel discomfort as you stretch, but not real pain. I know it could possibly get harder as we progress, but I'm not dreading the experience like I did at first. So, the moral of this story is if you get a therapist who causes you unbearable pain, find another therapist! Do you all have experiences with physical therapy you want to share? We all learn from each other.
@Shortail (681)
just ask the PT first if he/she has a problem during that time, LOL.. she might releasing their pain, by doing that massages to you.
That's an interesting thing to wonder about!
@Shortail (681)
@1creekgirl maybe they have a personal problem and, well you know. LOL. they can't just step aside the personal to job. .
I have no experience with physical therapy, but your tip regarding how to tell if a therapist should be abandoned could come in handy one of these days.
I'm amazed at all the accounts of pain I've heard about.
@moffittjc (35708)
• Gainesville, Florida
i am undergoing PT right now to rehab a knee injury. I have a wonderful therapist, and my sessions always leave me feeling great! A good therapist will spend the time necessary to determine your pain threshold, and then work from there to build a plan for your situation. I have nothing but good stories from any of my PT sessions.
Same here. Hope you continue to heal.
@moffittjc (35708)
• Gainesville, Florida
@1creekgirl Thanks! I am slowly making progress. I just need to learn that I can't push my body as hard as I used to in my younger days!
My Dad had a lot of pain recovering from a knee replacement. He didn't enjoy the physical therapy at all.
I guess therapy's different for everyone. Hope he's better?
@1creekgirl This was a long time ago and he has since passed away.
@annierose (17416)
I visited a physical therapist when I was a teenager due to my mild dextroscoliosis. But that time, she just taught me some exercises that I need to do to control my spine.
Did they help you?
@annierose (17416)
@1creekgirl Yes, but my session is very short. They just helped me with the proper way of exercising and then told me to do it always at home.
@FayeHazel (11737)
I'm happy it's going well for you and I would believe that too - that it's all in the individual that you get. My dad had PT and at the end of the session she would do a mini massage
Sounds like he had a very good therapist.
@FayeHazel (11737)
@1creekgirl Oh yes, he really enjoyed that bit to look forward to
• Lakewood, Colorado
Glad it is going good for your Vicki with less pain
I appreciate the good words, Tiara!
• Lakewood, Colorado
• Riga, Latvia
Thank heavens I don't. Sorry you had such a terrible experience. When I was a child I could stand pain even dentist kind of pain very well. Now I have a very low threshold of pain. Hope your therapist doesn't cause you any more pain.
Maybe I gave the wrong impression. My therapist hasn't hurt me at all. So I'm doing really well from the surgery and therapy.
• Riga, Latvia
@1creekgirl oh, well that is good to know.
After a wreck I had to have it on my hand and I found it was uncomfortable but not painful.
Did your hand heal ok?
@LoriAMoore (9987)
I've had physical therapy for vestibular therapy (brain/vertigo) and then for my leg achilles tendon and it wasn't torture at all. I found it to be fine, nothing I couldn't do at home on my own but going there makes you do the exercises and learn the proper ones to do and how to do them.
I'm glad your pt experiences were good.
@YrNemo (8573)
Let hope I won't need one ever, let pray to God... Amen .
@Srbageldog (5488)
I have never had physical therapy. I have always heard horror stories, too.