According to the 'age of consent' in the USA, God is a pedophile.

By JJ
Mary was not a 'woman' in the strict sense of the term but just a teenage girl. Most Christian historians speculate she was 15-16 at the time of Jesus' birth. (gotquestions.org/how-old-was-Mary.html) Probably the largest relationship age-gap in history. Now, before anyone throws a hissy-fit, I am NOT saying God is a pedophile. I am also NOT saying pedophilia is okay and trying to use this as a basis to rationalize it. I am saying that by today's standards, He would 'fit the mold'. Really old guy, under-age chick. And it doesn't take much of an imagination to suppose if it happened today, some moron would attempt to take God to court over it. Yes, my mind goes weird places early in the morning at times...
This is an interesting point of view and if you read carefully the ancient scriptures there are many weird episodes that would not be tolerated in our days.
No doubt. Some of that stuff would get people tarred and feathered (not that it actually happens these days, but you know what I mean)
@JolietJake Absolutely, I know what you mean.
@yugocean (4292)
@LadyDuck "tolerated"?
@LoriAMoore (9660)
I totally get what you're saying. My mother-in-law was 15 when she married my father-in-law who was 18 and they were married 55 years, which I used to think was "sweet" but now I can't help but think . . . YUCK!
@Mike197602 (13474)
• Worcester, England
I know it is technically illegal (here anyway) but I don't think a 3 year age gap at that age is anything to be concerned about.
@Fleura (5749)
Was it the 3-year age-gap that bothered you @LoriAMoore, or the fact they were both so young? Was it legal then? Or even the fact they stuck together so long?
@Fleura No, it wasn't the 3-year age gap, it was her only being 15, not nearly mature enough to get married.
It was common in some ancient cultures to marry off a child.
Jewish law (at the time) saw many betrothals at the age of 12 although the consummation occurred months or years later
How on earth can anyone say how old Mary was when she lived over 2000 years ago and as far as I know none of her remains remain .... or do they?
@kobesbuddy (16601)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@rebelann In the scriptures, Mary is referred to as a young girl and not as a lady, or a young woman.
That's odd @kobesbuddy I know that many prehistoric cultures considered a girl a woman once she began menstruating.
@kobesbuddy (16601)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@rebelann You are absolutely correct about this! But their culture wasn't always right.
@crossbones27 (14879)
• Redlands, California
I can see it, but wish people could see bible was written by man. As a moral compass in those times, pretty impressive. If you were a god, pretty bad morals, but he was letting him be free.BS
The Bible also is not 'complete'...several 'books' were left out of it for various alleged reasons
• Redlands, California
@JolietJake Which a god would not do unless he was teaching them, but if he was teaching them, what teacher teaches them like this? No one but a psycho. Just saying. I hated this, but now the world is in a loony farm, needs to be said.
• Redlands, California
@Daelii That's what people did through study and hard work, not god. I would try but my brain becomes dumb. So I say God is better, gives people more hope. I get why some rich people are un happy, but others are frauds.
@pgntwo (21463)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Just realised, after our block/unblock experiment recently, that I was no longer following you. Oops.
Yeah, throwing a 'block' causes that...I hadn't even thought about it.
@pgntwo (21463)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JolietJake Yeah, weird, but handy to know. Must look for the 101 on myLot blocking, or not blocking.
@pgntwo Back in my PrhedWreck days I used it to 'clean up' the list of people following me since most of them were from the 'spam days' here
Hmmm... not to step this far, but I wonder if this is why many catholic priests are caught up in acts of pedophilia. I've seen numerous articles over the years about molestation by priests and how they think it's somehow justifiable. Perhaps they rationalize it with the same idea you provided... Who knows?!
Although it is no longer so, for many years 'The Church' didn't want their members to read the Bible...they wanted the parishioners to accept the Church as being infallible on their interpretation of things. Seems they still try to avoid discussing the issue of molestation by priests when they can.
• Preston, England
hard to accuse a fictional entity of paediophilia - as she was married to him, how old was Joseph in all this too?
I wonder what the religious think of this.
@Lolaze (2865)
• St. Louis, Missouri
It amazes me what different cultures consider to be ‘of age’ to marry or have a child. Yet, there are plenty of 15 or 16 year olds here in the US getting pregnant anyway and it’s seen as almost acceptable. Really shows the sad state that our world is in now.
@ricki_911 (16687)
• Toronto, Ontario
if says it fine then it's fine.
@Fleura (5749)
I don't think God has an age as such!
I think i get your point but not sure If i am old enough to think that way! I will just read replies an keep my mind pure like it has been since i was born. I Don't think about subjects like that!
@kobesbuddy (16601)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, Mary was a young girl, at the time of Jesus' birth. Yet she remained a virgin, until she was married. Loretta Lynn was 14, when she got married. Many cultures condone young girls becoming brides, as it is today, also. Some countries, 12-13 year old females are taken for a wife and she has nothing to say about it!:( I don't approve, in the least!Also, the men have as many wives as they can afford. God didn't orchestrate this plan, men did!