New Post but Old News [Rolling Eyes]

Almost a couple months back, I made a post about finally getting a Japanese cheesecake from a particular bakery shop in a mall that was a bit far from us. As we rarely head out that way, I thought for sure it'd be a long time before we'd return again. Well, we went AGAIN. It wasn't even two weeks since we made the last trip . Hubby thought it'd be fun to take the kids to that mall since they didn't get to go last time. But you know were were just craving more Japanese cheesecake . Funny though. Although we were quick to make the trek again, it took me way longer to actually make a post about it - it's been over a month . Anyway, I thought @sishy7 would get a kick out of this . Do you ever make trips on a whim? Would you go on a long drive to eat a favorite food you won't find anywhere else? Do you have a spot in your brain for posts that are waiting to come out?
That spot in my brain would never hold onto an idea, I would have to write it down. We do go places on whims. Just to see something or eat something.
Believe me, I have leaks in my brain . . . many ideas slip out . But some ideas will hold on - especially if I'm stubborn to keep it . I was never one to do things on a whim, but ever since having kids I've become more flexible about unplanned plans.
@much2say Enjoy!
Hmmm, lets see **stroking my chin**: Firstly, all my trips are on a whim. I can do that cuz I iz retar.....oooppps, retired Secondly, I'd have to drive way too far to get my favorite dish so I don't get my favorite dish Thirdly, I'm currently looking for that spot, it stole an idea and I want it back!!!
At least you can say you are retired! Ohhhhh, then what is your favorite dish - and where is it? This is why I try to recreate certain restaurant dishes at home. Besides having to drive too far at times, sometimes restaurants just close down - it has killed me in the past when I couldn't have a favorite anymore. I have some stubborn spots on my brain . . . but in other spots there are holes .
Sashimi is my fav but I'm never really sure if the fish flown in to our area is really all that fresh and if it is then it's so damn expensive I wouldn't even bother to order it @much2say ohhh, well, I buy smoked salmon so that'll have to do. I don't let it bother me though, I'm just happy I can afford to eat quality food even if I don't get sashimi. Oh holy cow, yer brain'll be in heaven be4 ya
@rebelann Smoked salmon is good too! I had a smoked salmon pasta at a restaurant once . . . it was so good but I could never find the right recipe that tastes like what I had. Yep - sashimi is expensive for sure. I know, we should be happy we can eat quality food . . . and it really doesn't have to cost a fortune (I would love to pick from a tree or a garden if I could!). I'd be amazed if I have any brains left !
I doubt I would make a long trip for food. I usually jot down ideas then enlarge on those ideas when I am ready.
Living where we do, most things are available somewhat locally. But this particular cheesecake is to be found nowhere else (but we don't do this all the time ). I need to be better about writing down ideas .
@much2say Nothing wrong with a spontaneous trip every now and then - I really should get out more than I do.
@Kandae11 Were you the one who said you lived by the beach but rarely actually got to the beach?
no need to do this.Not for me.
We'd like to make a trip to NH someday . . . Hubby's late dad's roots and distant relatives are there. Hubby went on a road trip to NH with his family when he was about 10 years old.
@crossbones27 (15120)
• Redlands, California
Sounds fun, and think I sold out but hey what life is about and never deny that because you appreciate. All I ever asked and nice to see people doing it pretty well.
It was fun - and tasty too !
@sishy7 (27285)
You know me so well! And I can see the store better in this picture! Did the kids like the mall?
@sishy7 This trip, I made sure I took some pics of the mall . Uncle Tetsu is part of that Asian food court I mentioned. When Hubby and I went the first time, it was so early that there was hardly anyone in line. But on this weekend trip there were lots of people in line! Besides the cheesecakes, here are the other goodies they had . . . and they did have those honey madeleines ! Omg, the kids loved exploring the mall - sooooo much fun!!!
@sishy7 (27285)
@much2say aww, and that was me at the top of the line looking at the goodies... can you show me one more picture, please...
@sishy7 Now this one is not a particular good photo (but I'm sure the people in it would appreciate being blurred out anyway). But since you mentioned play area before with your sons, this is the current play area in front of the lower level of JCPenney. There is a nice Sanrio store (Hello Kitty and more galore) very close to it on the corner - smart location. The kids didn't play here, there were TONS of kids in there!!
No, I would make a long trip to eat a favorite food and it's a shame, because there are a few great places in Italy where I would love to come back.
I would love to go to Italy period! My friend and her husband absolutely loved the food there and would go back in a heartbeat if they could. But you are close to the border, right?
@much2say I am close to the border, but far from the two places where I would like to go. There is a place for pizza in Napoli, is more or less 800 miles from here and another in the middle of Italy, where we went years ago, it's more than 500 miles, too far for the pleasure of what they make there.
@LadyDuck Oh my goodness . . . yes, hundreds of miles would be too far for sure ! As we have too many pizza places making deliveries here (none as good as the real deal in Italy I'm sure), I had a funny image in my head of you calling the place in Napoli to ask if they could deliver a pizza to you - oh, but wouldn't that be nice? Is it anything you could recreate at home since you are a great cook?
@sallypup (21868)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Japanese cheesecake? What does that taste like?
It tastes nothing like the tradition cheesecakes . . . very light and fluffy (almost like there is whipped air inside it) and it's not too sweet. I described it in the last post like eating a cloud!
@sallypup (21868)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@much2say Kind of like meringue is what I imagine. Interesting.
@sallypup I didn't think of that . . . sort of . . . but meringue is definitely much more airy!
@Madshadi (4683)
• Brussels, Belgium
I once drove half an hour just to eat Lebanese hummus. It was worth it. Now we have one in the neighbourhood so I eat there from time to time.
It's nice to have things come to your own neighborhood, right? There are some stores here that have opened where we used to have to take a long drive for . . . thank goodness it's only a short drive away now. I had a Lebanese friend who made hummus all the time (I never made it - I only bought it) . . . she also made homemade pita chips to go with it!
@Madshadi (4683)
• Brussels, Belgium
@much2say I have always been a big fan of Lebanese cuisine
Yes to all the above. We flew to New Orleans just for the food.
New Orleans! Wow, gettin' some real deal Cajun food by the bayou ?
@much2say Lol! It is an eating city, that's for sure! Great restaurants and even went to the bayou for po' boys.
@DianneN I've only had the pseudo ones out here - not sure what is authentic in taste or not (but still tasty to me!). I'd love an authentic beignet!
Do you ever make trips on a whim? Yes, but not as often nowadays compared to previous years. Would you go on a long drive to eat a favorite food you won't find anywhere else? Yes. Do you have a spot in your brain for posts that are waiting to come out? None. What is a brain?
It's the same with us . . . having family with all different schedules, it's not easy to just "go" whenever we want . . . but we try! What food would take a long drive for? And about the brain - I don't know either - I've never seen mine .
@much2say steamed pork buns and king crab for the food.
@allen0187 Ohhhh, I would totally go for that!!
We go to lots of place on a whim. We like to go to different places all the time.
We do too! It's fun try try different places!
There was one local kiosk here that sells Japanese cup cake or something. They were a hit until the fast food came, they still sell though.
Ohhh, what kind of cupcake? There are food fads . . . sometimes they can last a long time, others fizzle, maybe because people get sick of it. That's what happened to the many Krispy Kreme donut shops that came out here - many eventually shut down.
@cahaya1983 (9505)
Yes! We make spontaneous trips for food all the time. I think I got that from my parents, they're the type who wouldn't mind driving far just to get the food that they can't get anywhere else
My parents were the types who wouldn't go far . . . and they were often creatures of habit so they wouldn't try too many different foods. So my sister and I broke from that . . . we do like to make trips and get adventurous with food!!!
If times passes more then a few days I usually just skip posting anything at all but awesome to read your post about this! Your family sure does love this cheesecake! It wasn’t very long ago I read your post about this Japanese cheesecake so I recall it very well.
That happens to me A LOT . . . I get an idea, time passes, and then it just doesn't seem so fresh anymore so I just end of saying forget it. This time around we actually bought 3 of these cakes . . . kept 2 and gave one to my parents. It may be a while before we get the next round of Japanese cheesecakes .
• Denmark
I wouldn't go far for food but for a cultural event like an exhibition of paintings.
@MALUSE Most definitely we would do the same for events . . . that would definitely be worth the trip. Luckily we have many museums in and around Los Angeles that we don't have to drive terribly far to see art shows, oh but how we dream about flying to Europe too see the museums out there!!!
• Marion, Kansas
I wonder what Japanese cheese cake is like. Yes, we often go a long ways for something we want, because nothing is really near by. No, in that spot in my brain are lots of leaks and the ideas simply run out and are lost.
This cheesecake is unlike the traditional rich cheesecake. It's poofy, light, and not too sweet! Oh yah, I remember you said it was a drive to get to store or restaurant. And - some things stick in my head forever - and the rest leaks out .
I would not go on a long drive to eat a favorite food, but would make a very short drive to do so.
In most cases for us, there's almost no need to make such a long drive. But this cheesecake can only be found at this particular mall . . . or the other location in Hawaii (but I'd like to go to Hawaii to see other things ).
It was worth your while .But for the idea of taking kids to there,you wouldn't patronize the shop again so quick.Out of curiosity,I search the shop online.Their cheesecake must be true to their reputation.
The secret to our cheesecake’s deliciousness is special ingredients. Cheesecake with a mellow and creamy flavour! Uncle Tetsu’s cheesecake is one of a kind. Mellow yet rich, smooth and creamy, every bite melts in your mouth. Of course, the key to a scrumpt
I had never seen this particular site - I guess it is the Canada one! It has more of a description than the US one - so thank you for that link! It's interesting they say to watch out for "impersonators" - and that is true as I have seen mini prepackaged Japanese cheesecakes, but I wanted to try the "real thing" first. I have made another bakery discovery and will tell you about it instead of in a post. There is a popular bakery amongst the Asians here called 85°C Bakery Cafe - but they are in Asian communities and not too local. People drive all the way there just to get their baked goods. Apparently it originated in Taiwan - but they are all over now (locations in China as well). Currently, much to our surprise, they are building a location very close to us - perhaps opening by the new year. They are under construction right now where a Japanese restaurant used to occupy. So our Asian friends who already know about this bakery are very excited. Have you heard of 85°C Bakery Cafe?
@much2say Here there are Uncle Teysu' chain stores in some major cities, such as ShangHai,Beijing ,so does 85 C Bakery Cafe.Since cheesecake,coffee is not my cup of tea,I haven't given my attention to them.To my surprise after searching them online,they have been here to stay .
@changjiangzhibin89 Ah, so both bakeries are indeed out there! Well if you do ever have an opportunity to stop by, let me know what you think! I do drink coffee, but I normally do not purchase drinks from stores. But desserts, yes!
@katsmeow1213 (28925)
Last year we took a lot of trips on a whim. This year it seems we're more tired and busy and broke.
You've taken some awesome trips! But yah, trips don't come cheap . . . we work now so we can save up for the next one. Are you guys planning any winter trips?
@much2say No we have nothing planned at this point.. we're looking to do something in the spring, maybe a week in Myrtle Beach again.
@katsmeow1213 That'd be nice! Winter is hard anyway - with all the holidays and crowds. Weather will be nice again in spring!