Bounty Babe - Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich

Denmark
It's high time I reviewed a Stephanie Plum novel by Janet Evanovich as I've read and enjoyed several instalments of the series. Stephanie works as a bounty hunter or at least tries to. (The profession of bounty hunting is legal only in the Republic of the Philippines, the United States, Brazil and Zimbabwe). She's barely competent, intellectually as well as physically, but she has to pay her rent and can't find a better job. She gets files on 'skips', tracks them down and - if she's lucky - hands them over to the proper authorities. These small adventures are mini-plots so-to-speak sprinkled throughout the stories. The main plot in Twelve Sharp is that a crackpot is impersonating Ranger, an independently working professional bounty hunter. He looks a bit like him, he married and later killed a woman resembling Stephanie as a test until he can get 'the real one' and has kidnapped Ranger's 10-year-old daughter. He intends to form a family with Stephanie and the girl. Even Ranger, who can usually find anyone, has to admit defeat. The only chance he sees to lure his impersonator out into the open and thus to make him find the hiding-place of his daughter is to use Stephanie as a bait. The plot is thrilling and well executed. Having just finished Twelve Sharp I can still recall it but I know that I'll soon forget it like I've forgotten the plots of all the other Stephanie Plum thrillers I've read. Why buy further books? I could wait for some time and then read the ones I've already got again. I could save money this way. Yet, then I wouldn't know what the characters were up to. As it is with all successful series, it's the characters that make faithful readers return. Kinks and quirks are what you get with the dramatis personae of a Stephanie Plum thriller. After a while, you forget what 'normal' means! Stephanie herself is rather ordinary concerning looks and sense of fashion but she attracts oddballs like light attracts moths. One of them is Lula, a black former ho', with a XXXL body and a love for XS clothes. She doesn't work horizontally any more but still talks as if she does. When it comes to bringing in a skip, she's as talentless and clumsy as Stephanie. These two can be seen as the Laurel and Hardy of crime fiction. And not to forget Stephanie’s two lovers! Morelli, a cop, attractive, seductive and marriage material. There's nothing speaking against him except Ranger, the independently working professional bounty hunter. He's a Hispanic, attractive, seductive and deffo no marriage material. He's COOL incarnate but oozes HEAT from every pore. Will Stephanie ever decide herself? Of course not. Further Stephanie Plum thrillers would lack the decisive spark. The triangular relationship will go on for as long as Ms Evanovich cares to write about Stephanie. Recommended for fans of thrillers and silly comedy. ----- P.S. The series has now reached No. 24.
Heck, I would read this one just to be introduced to Lulu!!! I have never read any of the novels written by Janet Evanovich, but reading those works is very tempting due to the comedy that results when one encounters Stephanie Plum and those with whom she keeps company.
• Denmark
Lula is a hoot, but so is Stephanie's ever randy Grandma Mazur whose greatest pleasure is going to public viewings. She's been seen secretly prying into coffins.
@MALUSE Would love to read about Grandma Mazur too!!!
@MALUSE Oh, Grandma Mazur!!! I need to ask Sis if she has read the Stephanie Plum novels. I have a feeling she has. If not, we will be trading back and forth as we did with the Miss Julia books, or I will go to the library and enjoy them one at a time.
@DaddyEvil (22402)
I LOVE the Stephanie Plum novels as well as the other series Janet Evanovich has written. (Yes, I do own them all.) If fact, I have re-read these novels several times. By chance, did you leave a review for this novel on one of the sites used by Ms. Evanovich? (Just curious. Sometimes I do as DaddyEvil and sometimes as Robb S.)
• Denmark
No, I haven't. In fact, I've never been on her site. I didn't know that it existed. Would she like to get such a long review?
@DaddyEvil (22402)
@MALUSE Janet Evanovich actually lists her books on several of the sites I find good reads on. She does have a home page listed under her last name but I've never noticed reviews posted there. I know she accepts reviews on Amazon, GoodReads and YABibliophile. (Although, I have never been sure if the last site is a site or if it is part of GoodReads. I treat the two as separate sites.) I am not sure what she'd say about a review this long, but there is always a first time, right? (The worst I have ever seen her do was delete one she didn't like.) I don't see how she could not like what you've written, Malu.
• Denmark
@DaddyEvil Maybe she'll find my post on her own. I once reviewed a book (on a different site) and the author sent me a thank you message. There must be the possibility of being informed when your name appears somewhere on the net.
The profession of "bounty hunter" is still legal in the United States and in Brazil, not only in the Philippines. I never read novels by this author, but this books sounds interesting enough to give it a try.
• Denmark
I checked this on the net. I did mention the USA. I've checked again and found Brazil and also Zimbabwe. I've added the countries.
@MALUSE You did not check well enough. Open English Wikipedia and you will notice that the USA are listed. I have known someone there who did this unusual job. Now I see that they also list Rhodesia.
• Denmark
@LadyDuck I don't understand this. I did mention the USA in my post and also in a comment. Twice should be enough. The name Rhodesia isn't used anymore. The country's name is now Zimbabwe. I've mentioned it in my comment.
@noni1959 (2650)
I've read a few of her novels and they are fun. A movie came out but I never got to watch it.
• Denmark
It wasn't successful. No other films were made.
Nice. I like these too. They just make me laugh out loud. It does kind of annoy me that she can never seem to make up her mind over Morelli vs Ranger though.
• Denmark
This will never happen as I've mentioned in my post. Her indecision makes readers come back! From what I've read the film ("One For The Money") was not successful because people didn't like the cast. I agree. Some actors were indeed badly chosen, especially Morelli and Grandma Mazur. You can find the film on youtube. Should you watch it, tell me what you think!
@Platespinner (18533)
You've convinced me to try a Janet Evanovich one of these days...
• Denmark
Do that! I can recommend the series. Each book is a stand-alone one but it makes sense to read them in the right order.
I think I would enjoy this series. Should make a good movie, I think.
• Denmark
The first book was made into a film but it wasn't successful. Up to now, no further films have been made.
This sounds like fun. I'll have to see if the local library have it.
@FayeHazel (11802)
Thanks for the review. I like mini-plots within a larger story
Sounds a great read. And you're right. As soon as Stephanie marries one or the other, the series is finished.
• Riga, Latvia
Sounds interesting. I usually love these kind of novels. Thanks for the great review.
@pgntwo (21736)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Sounds like a riot! Not sure it's my cup of tea, though - I'll stick with Sam Vimes and the Ankh Morpork City Watch :)