Why we don't let Kids be kids?

@ptrikha_2 (5787)
If I go back and see what all was there when I was say 8 year or 10 year or even 12 years old, I would say that apart from being a little unorganized, we did enjoy our childhood times. We played, we saw TV, we did silly things, but we also studied, and I recall getting 70% and 80% marks. Hark back to the present times. What do we see? Kids getting smarter. Kids required to learn big things- be it in English, Or EVS, or Maths, or in Arts and Crafts, and their parents even more desperate to see kids get good at all of these things, or else getting left behind. Where have all those joys of the childhood silliness gone? Those childish plays, those innocent pranks, where are all of these. Instead, what we see are kids confident of speaking to big audience, yet many of these kids behave with arrogancy in front of other, simpler kids, and many a times make them feel downcast. I also see many parents setting bad examples and being over-protective, or defending their kids even if their kids are guilty. Many even think that if their kids are selfish, clever and always under-cutting others, its good for the kids and let them remain that way. In a way, it damages the social fabric, but is anyone concerned? Doesn't looks like that, except very few people.
I do think that parents are setting a poor example for their children when they themselves behave in an inappropriate manner and allow their children to do the same.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@Daelii (2068)
It is horrible! It's sad that it has got this way for many people. I don't like it when people act as you described. The only thing I disagree with is the comments concerning advanced studies. There should be no harm in kids enjoying studies in anything if they actively want to learn more. There is no shame in being smart and furthering ones education. I'm making an effort to raise 3 compassionate daughters. I want them to be kids and enjoy the fun and frills. I also think it's important to teach them to find things they enjoy and to be happy doing!
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@Daelii If a kid is comfortable doing extra things, its ok. However, I do not like kids being forced into doing something.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@Daelii Yet for me, achieving those dreams by unnecessarily pressurizing kids is a big no-no for me.
@peachpurple (10707)
I agree that we parents need to let kids go to be kids, not caged like a mouse
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@peachpurple Yes we need to make them feel free!
What you say is very true. Some parents expect too much from their children too and are very demanding. It doesn't augur well for the future.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
Yes @JudyEv that is the case, and not a very likeable thing.
• Pleasant Hill, California
In the US, I see the exact opposite too often.
@TheHorse I guess the attitude depends a lot on the socio-economic grouping.
@Shiva49 (9664)
When I was a kid fifty/sixty years ago, the exposure to outside world was minimal. We went to school and played outdoor games everyday and if it rained indoor like carrom, chess etc. We knew we had to study hard but most parents were allowing us to enjoy our carefree childhood. The options were rather limited. Those academically inclined went for medicine, engineering. Though others felt a bit dejected, most led comfortable lives and with many children! Now even one child is too many and with mothers keeping a hawk's eye, childhood is being eroded sadly. On my part I made sure my son had an all round childhood life with little pressure from me except to make him aware the consequence of his choices - siva
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@Shiva49 I now feel that children are under immense pressure. Even 7-8 years old kids have too much in school curriculum, as well as extra- plays, skits, drawing competitions etc, and more pressure to do well. So, as parents we should be supportive and not exert more pressure on them.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@Shiva49 in a way we were luckier. If it was current times, I might have been attending Dance/Skating/Karate/Arts classes instead of watching Cricket matches or Wimbledon or playing outdoors.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@Shiva49 but now a days many parents are forgetting that.
I won't defend my children when they are wrong-I am the first one to blame my kids when something goes wrong with other kids. I have seen many parents who will defend their kid at all costs-even if they are wrong though. I am protective of my children safety wise though. This is a crazy world now a days. My children have fun and enjoy life. I Home School them and we take their education serious but not too serious. They have fun while learning.
@Daelii (2068)
That is a wonderful approach to it! Learning really should be fun, they get much more out of it that way.
@Daelii Thank you. Children love learning-when they are enjoying it! =)
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@LovingMyBabies having fun while learning is the best approach. And I hope kids enjoy a lot while doing things like this.
@sjvg1976 (14615)
This happens with the parents and what's wrong in it when the competition has increased in today's world.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@sjvg1976 yes competition has increased but should not we be concerned that increased stress does not leads to burnout among kids?
Children need to go to school and to learn, but some parents are too demanding. Kids also need to play, to have fun to do things that they will never be able to do when they grow up.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
I agree @LadyDuck
@YrNemo (8598)
From what I listened and observed from my young relatives, they seemed to have their own funny childhood time (I think).
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@YrNemo but kids of present times do not have that much carefree and fun times.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I think it really varies kid the kid you can't say one thing is good for all kids. Kids are raised differently kids have different parents different lives so what's good for one kid is not going to be good for all kids
Bad examples and unrealistic expectations are big deals now days I think. If parents are involved kids do a lot better.
@LeaPea2417 (15362)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Those parents want their kids to grow up too fast. I say , your childhood will be gone before you know it, time goes by way too fast, slow down and let kids be kids.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Kids learn through play.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
I agree @LeaPea2417 Thanks for responding @thislittlepennyearns Yes @TheHorse kids learn through play, even though some formality does helps. Yet I always believe in the classic saying "Excess of anything is bad."
It's sad, as that is how bullying gets started. I see kids are smarter too, but they don't play like they used to, and that is really sad.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't see them as smarter. Play is for learning.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
Yes @just4him and thanks for inputs @TheHorse @celticeagle
Kids need to be kids and both kids and parents need to be reminded of that fact.
@inertia4 (26882)
Times have changed and so have people. We have grown and evolved. Yes, kids are way smarter today than we were growing up. With all the technology we have that only stands to reason. I still see kids being kids in the world. Kids will always be kids. And lets be frank about all this, there will be smarter kids and less smarter kids. That is the way it is. Not everyone can become smart. Or is smart. Look at America. At least a quarter of the country is not very smart at all. I think we all know why. But that aside, we may have grown up in a more simple time. But if I recall, we had a whole lot more than our parents did. At least for me. Ans the kids today have even more than we did. We all want our children to do better than we did.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@inertia4 I appreciate your inputs on this.
Parenting has dramatically changed since I was growing up and not in a positive way, well from where I live it has not but I don't travel to many places over 50 miles so it could be different elsewhere-- good post
• Pleasant Hill, California
How has it changed?
@TheHorse I feel there is much more leniency these days, less boundaries made and more allowance to test ones 'wings' . . .
@kobesbuddy (19380)
• East Tawas, Michigan
If parents are childish and undisciplined, why would they expect something different from their kids? The next generation of children will someday be our world leaders. What will society benefit, from this kind of upbringing?
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
@kobesbuddy yes if upbringing is bad, world will not benefit. Thanks for inputs @averygirl72 thanks @allen0187
• Pleasant Hill, California
Smarter? In the US, I see kids getting more and more stupid. They watch TV. They play video games. They know less about theor environments. The may memorize more, but they probem-solve less.
@averygirl72 (14064)
That is bad how people raise their children. Let kid's enjoy their childhood. There are thing they cannot do anymore when they grow old. They should be allowed to enjoy their childhood not to have lots of pressure from old people