Funny Made Up Holidays- National Pizza With The Works Without Anchovies Day

By DB
Do you like items on your pizza. I do although not anchovies. No sardines for me. Put olives, pepperoni, sausage, peppers and onions on my pie, and I'll galdly eat a slice or four. Put mushrooms, bacon or pineapple no problem. Just no fishy business on this national day. That is a smell I do not want on my pizza! So, pizza lovers pile on your toppings on this annual pizza holiday. Sunday November 12th is National Pizza With The Works Without Anchovies Day! Here are a few pizza facts for our history buffs: 1. In ancient Greece, the Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs and cheese which some believe is the beginning of the pizza. 2. A sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves was developed by the Romans. 3. The modern pizza had it’s beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread. 4. The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 and was in New York’s Little Italy. I will be celebrating this day with a Sunday pizza at my favorite tavern. Hold the anchovies please! How about you? On your next pizza will you be "swimming with the fishes" on your pie order? Source- nationaldaycalendar.com Photo- toppers.com/google images
@pgntwo (21717)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Oh my - my favourite pizza has a topping of black olives, capers and.... some anchovy. Anchovy also features in Puttanesca sauce, if you have ever had that on your pasta. You are right in one respect - I also cannot imagine what sardines would taste like on a pizza!
A home-made pizza is vastly superior in flavour to shop-bought versions, and making your own pizza base – just a bread dough enriched with olive oil – is easy to do. Once you get the hang of it, you can add pizza toppings to order. The topping here, with t
I love spaghetti alla Puttanesca (the filter did not get this one ), but the real recipe does not call from anchovies, but salted Sarde (a sort of sardines). They are similar, they are not identical. Spaghetti San Giovanniello have anchovies.
@pgntwo (21717)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@LadyDuck The filter's not geared for Italian, it seems Never had spaghetti San Giovaniello, it sounds good. The Puttanesca sauce in our local Tesco supermarket here has anchovy paste, but then it has chilli, like an Arabiata sauce might have, so...
@pgntwo Anchovy paste in the Puttanesca even the basil is wrong and the Chilli powder is wrong, you need dried or fresh hot red peppers. Not to mention the Balsamic Vinegar, it has nothing to do with a Puttanesca Sauce, same for the sugar. Those ingredients sound horrible. The Arrabbiata is very similar to the Puttamesca, it has garlic, but also the Puttanesca has garlic.
Vince likes anchovies and I can tolerate them. I like pizzas with a great mix of toppings.
Yes, that's how I like them too. Pepperoni, sausage and mushrooms are great together
@FayeHazel (11668)
I love olives too on pizza! YuM!
They can definitely add some flavor to the pie!
@FayeHazel (11668)
@dgobucks226 Sometimes I eat them plain, by the bowlful, yum!
@FayeHazel My Dad is a big olive eater they compliment a sandwich so well. In addition, we have an antipasto during Thanksgiving and those black olives are front and center,
@thelme55 (11806)
Bon Appetit! I love anchovies as pizza toppings. Yummy! Well, for me.
Many others do as well! Maybe I should give them another chance, lol.
@thelme55 (11806)
@dgobucks226 Yes, you can give them another chance.
@thelme55 Always good to try new things, well most of the time, lol.
I ordered a pizza years ago with anchovies not knowing what they were and wanting to try something new. They were salty and nasty. Learned my lesson.
They are very salty! I agree, hold those anchovies!!!
@dgobucks226 ......Don't care for them and never ordered them again.
I like anchovies, but only order them once in awhile.
You are with the fishes, eh?
@dgobucks226 - I do like them.
No meat or fish of any kind on my pizza. I like mushrooms and black olives on mine.
That is a nice combo and goes very well together.
I just like plain pepperoni and cheese pizza.
I am also a peperoni fan of pizza! One of my favorite toppings.
I prefer sauce, pepperoni and extra cheese, but I can take anchovies and black olives once in a while.
Also in Pompeii (that was destroyed by the Volcano on 79 A.D.) they made the same bread that you describe as made in Greece. I have seen one when I visited the place. It was wonderful to visit the ruins of a place 2,000 years old. In Neaples pizza were without tomato sauce in the ancient times, because the tomatoes came to Italy from the Americas, after Colombo discovered the place.
Thank you for the additional history about pizza. Interesting about why tomato sauce was not used.
@dgobucks226 Tomatoes did not exists and they were used only many years after Columbus brought them for the Americas, people thought they were poisonous.
@LadyDuck That makes sense.
@rubyriaz007 (2505)
I like olives, chicken, pepperoni, corn, mushroom, shrimps, and sausages on my pizza.
I would go for all of except the shrimp. Although I do enjoy shrimp!
I used to love looking up these silly holidays and celebrating some of them with my kids. This one is pretty darn odd though as its so specific. National pizza day would be better especially for me as I'm a vegetarian.
It is so funny to me how many of these days they have. Sometimes 2 or 3 on the same day. Somebody has a crazy imagination.
@jujunme (2347)
Don't like anchovies and not a big fan of pepperoni but, most anything else will do, especially sausage , mushrooms and olives Love Papa John's pizza so many topping choices
Yes, I like sausage a lot too. We have a place I go to that has the best pizza items and their sausage is one of my favorites. But I like the others you mentioned too.
pizza, because, health, eating, buffet
I also like pizza, although not so much because of the health problems caused by eating a lot. how it is in the photo fascinates me.
Well they say eat in moderation. So, I guess pizza can be looked upon as a treat! By the way, your photo is making me hungry. Time for dinner
@1hopefulman (20278)
I have never tried a pizza with some fish on it but I would try it once just to see what it tastes like. I do like sardines and I usually will eat them with vegetables.
Sardines are best left off pizza from what I discovered Felix. If you are going to try fish stick with anchovies. Cooked in sauce, they perform better.