Mama Tripped And Fell

It has been a stressful week here in my part of the world. My mama has Alzheimer's and walks very wobbly. She has canes and a walker , but forgets to use them or will say that she doesn't need them. She walks very much like a toddler and will even say to us, I can do it myself. It is very hard to keep her safe. We are in a bad predicament and this past Monday she got up and tripped before anyone could get near her. She ended up breaking three fingers, her wrist and cracking several ribs. I'm not sure how her fingers and wrist will heal. Mama can no longer follow doctors orders , because of her Alzheimer's and keeps trying to use her hand. She fortunately has a nurse that comes out twice a week and for that we are grateful. We really need a nurse on a daily basis. I hope that you are all doing well and look forward to reading some of your discussions.
Oh, I am so sorry this happened to your mom. Both my parents tripped and fell and broke bones. You are so right about not being able to follow doctor's orders due to Alzheimer's. Neither Dad nor Mom could, and it was quite a struggle. I do hope you can arrange for care for her every day.
We had more help last year, but my parents decided that they no longer wanted the help. The new nurse has just started a few weeks ago. Hopefully they will allow her to continue.
• Denmark
Has she got her fingers in plaster? If so, she can't move them, can she? I was afraid you'd write that she's got a femoral neck fracture. This is what many old people break when they fall and it heals badly if at all.
They didn't put a cast on her. I'm not sure why they didn't. They taped her hand up, but she took it off. I think a cast is needed.
• Denmark
@Tampa_girl7 Can you see to it? Tell the doctor that she took off the tape.
@kobesbuddy (19698)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I'm sorry to hear this happened, to your mother:( Hopefully, they will keep her seated, from today forward.
It is a difficult and impossible task at this moment in time.
@kobesbuddy (19698)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Tampa_girl7 My mother kept falling, after Dad passed away. She refused to move in with any of her kids, so we had to admit her into a nursing home. Mom did very little walking in that place.
Aww, your poor mother, I'm so sorry that she fell and is left with so many ailments as a result. I do hope that she heals quickly, that is what we have to hope for in this case. (((HUGS))) to you, as I know its hard to watch our loved ones slip like that.
Yes, it is sad to witness.
@Tampa_girl7 I'm so sorry, you and your family are in my prayers.
@Tampa_girl7 I am sorry to hear of your Moma's fall. Continuing to pray for you and yours.
Thank you
Oh goodness, this must be a serious problem. I hope she is not in big pain at least.
Her pain comes and goes.
@Tampa_girl7 I know that the ribs are painful, there is nothing a doctor can do unfortunately.
@responsiveme (14458)
Hope you have care for her...At this age the bones do break if there is even a slightest fall. Wishing her healing soon and hoping medication eases the Alziemhers
Thank you.
Sorry to hear about your Mom falling and, prayers going out to her.
I appreciate that.
Oh no, I do hope she is doing better now.
That is such a shame and so hard to deal with if she has Alzheimer's. Perhaps she'd be better with a cast on her hand
• Lakewood, Colorado
I am so sorry to hear about your Mamas fall Marie..my Mom also fell a few weeks ago. I pray for your Mothers healing.
So sorry for your Mom to having more pain due to her fall. Can not be easy for any of you there.
• Eugene, Oregon
I missed this and am so sorry to hear that she fell. It is so difficult to keep people in that condition from hurting themselves.
That is so sad to hear that your mom fell and broke her wrist and fingers. Hope you can find someone to come in every day to help take care of her.
What a horrible situation for your family Marie, I'm so sorry to hear about it. You are right - you need a nurse on a daily basis.
I'm sorry she fell and broke so many bones. I thought she was in a home.
@LoriAMoore (10162)
Oh no, Marie, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know your poor mom has been through the wringer these past couple of years.
@LeaPea2417 (15448)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I am so sorry to read this. I pray for your Mama.
I am sorry about your mom! That must be so stressful! My parents don't walk that well either. My mother is really slow due to her orthopedic problems and my dad does not have that much stamina..he is pretty slow as well.
@fly802 (1249)
Sorry to hear that.Hope the nurse will take care of her in the best way.