Sew Much?

@Morleyhunt (16745)
I'm cleaning my sewing room (I have a wedding dress to alter). My scrap storage bin has been emptied....all the pieces cut into usable pieces (an entire scrap quilt) sorted and packed away. The it was time to tackle the shelves. On one shelf I hav a container that holds my empty thread spools. Once a year I bag them and put them out with the recycling. It seems I have a lot of empty spools. Does this mean I spend a lot of time sewing?
• Portland, Connecticut
wow that is a lot of empty spools, yes I think it does mean you spend a lot of time sewing.
@Morleyhunt (16745)
That was the top requirement for our new home....a sewing room.
@Platespinner (18566)
"I can't get out of the sewing room. The fabric has accepted me as one of their own and if I leave now I might lose their trust." Simplicity patterns posted this on Facebook--it made me think of you (and made me laugh).
@Morleyhunt (16745)
I missed that meme. I'm currently culling (no easy task) some of the bits and bobs. I'm still not being ruthless enough (but I'm getting better).
I guess that´s the meaning of the empty spools. That, and to think of scraps as a quilt project
@Morleyhunt (16745)
I have my scraps cut into squares...the smallest I save is 1.5" X 1.5". The size I use the most is cut 2.5" X 2.5".
For what I can see I suspect that you did a lot of sewing during the year.
@Morleyhunt (16745)
I enjoy sewing. When I sew for pleasure (anything that inspires me) I find it relaxing. I know I use a lot of thread, but when I see a years worth of empty spools it's a bit overwhelming.
@Morleyhunt I also like to sew, it's a relaxing hobby.
@Morleyhunt (16745)
@LadyDuck yesterday I started a night gown for my granddaughter. Then a telephone call derailed me and it wasn't finished. It will be done this morning....but Sandra will be at school by then.
@YrNemo (8678)
You do have a lot .
@Morleyhunt (16745)
I wish I had the time or inclination to make something with them. Maybe next year.
@YrNemo (8678)
@Morleyhunt Little boys (and big boys) from schools would love to turn them into wheels for certain inventions! (I followed some TV programs ages ago. They used lots of those!)
@Morleyhunt (16745)
@YrNemo I shared the collection on Facebook asking who wanted them...no takers. They go out with the recycling this week.
• Peoria, Arizona
My goodness that is impressive! That is how I feel when I keep finding the little labels from skeins of yarn all over the place and I'm just like...do I really use this much yarn? Yes, yes I do. and I feel good about it haha!
@Morleyhunt (16745)
It shows just how much we've made. I counted the number of buttons I used one year...wow that was also impressive.
• Peoria, Arizona
@Morleyhunt At least we are having fun!
@Morleyhunt (16745)
@DesirousDreamer that we are.
@peachpurple (10708)
wow, you spnt more time in sewing than I do but I reused the spools
@Morleyhunt (16745)
I'm looking for craft projects that use them, but so far nothing has inspired me,
@Morleyhunt (16745)
@peachpurple I've goggle searched. Things I find on Pinterest drive me crazy. Too many of the links are not active and then when you do find something they want money. None of the plastic spool ideas inspired me enough to get creative, or to make me want to pack them up for a cross country move. I'll be collecting more.
That is wonderful we are unable to recycle them where I live!
@Morleyhunt (16745)
I put them in the plastics recycling bin.
@Morleyhunt The only plastics we can recycle here are one with a triange that has the number 1 or 2 in the triangle. Also they have to have a neck skinnier then the rest of the bottle so there really is not a lot accepted unfortunately.
You can tell I don't sew much anymore because I only have two spools of thread...a black and a white
@Morleyhunt (16745)
Those are two colours I buy the really big spool, I tend to mix and match my colours to get what I want. I told my husband once that I probably have $1,000.00 invested in thread.
It looks like you certainly do sew a lot
@Morleyhunt (16745)
Almost daily. Yesterday was a get little things done day....I changed out the broken zipper in my granddaughters spring coat....then added straps to her new snow pants....Then I dropped the hem in a new pair of pants for myself and rehemmed them...an inch longer....next I cut out a nightgown for my granddaughter. The sewing was interrupted by a phone call that derailed my plans for the week. More about that later this week.
I would be lost without my sewing machine.
@Morleyhunt (16745)
I have several sewing machines. My very favourite one needs to go to the sewing machine dr. I do hope that it can be fixed, but I fear that it might be worn out.
@shivamani10 (10770)
• Hyderabad, India
No.. definitely not. You took a lot of time to throw them out.
@Morleyhunt (16745)
That's about a years worth. I keep hoping I can find some project that inspires me to use them.
@Daelii (2071)
Btw ever think to craigslist / eBay it? People have those especially wood ones in demand for fairy houses...
@Morleyhunt (16745)
These aren't wooden. One day, when I have a bit more time, I'm hoping to make something using empty spools. I'll have a few more collected by next autumn.
@Daelii (2071)
Lol that's awesome! It wasn't til I learnt how to sew did I realize how much thread is used..i still waste a ton having to rip out and try again. I am improving or I hope so!
@Morleyhunt (16745)
Even without frog stitching (ripping out) I use a lot of thread.
I can't remember the last time I emptied a spool of thread.
@Morleyhunt (16745)
I was winding bobbins last night and emptied 3 within about 5 minutes.