Time to Enjoy the Season

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Opening weekend is behind me and I have no theatre-related activities or responsibilities that need to be taken care of until Tuesday morning. I’d like to say that I am planning to my “free” Monday getting some work done around the house, enjoying the fresh air while working in the yard, getting caught up with my daughter’s schoolwork, and maybe doing a little bit of quilting, but I don’t anticipate much of that happening. Instead, I will be spending the morning playing taxi for my son and then working at the library. I’ll have a little time in the early afternoon to focus on a minimal amount of schoolwork and then it’s off to a dentist appointment that had to be postponed from last week. It is said that a change is as good as a vacation, so even though I’m still as busy as can be, I’m going to enjoy my “vacation” from theatre. At least until Tuesday morning, when I get to sharpen my “mom-glare” on cast members who don’t seem to think the rules apply to them. Most of the leaves have fallen from the trees in our yard, leaving a monster mess to be cleaned up, but there is a maple tree that is sheltered by the larger trees around it and doesn’t show off its autumn glory until the other trees are bare. When I was hanging out the laundry Saturday, I noticed that this tree is beginning its annual show. The faded green is beginning to give way to brilliant red, and in a few more days the tree will be absolutely spectacular. I love autumn, I just hate that I’ve been too busy to really enjoy it this year.
• Portland, Connecticut
Fall is my very favorite season and that terrible storm we had last week really played havoc with our foliage but I still am happy but cold!!
I have really been enjoying having a fire going in our wood heater the last few days!
Oh my did the storm destroy some local foliage enough to not bounce back next Spring @BelleStarr ?
• Portland, Connecticut
@enlightenedpsych2 No, we only lost a few large branches, I was referring to the colorful leaves and those it did bring to the ground.
@gnatsmom (770)
I can definitely relate. I love autumn, as well. However, I would love to just sit and relax and soak in its glory. We are finally getting some of the beautiful coloring. We had more rain this year than last, so the colors are a little more vibrant. I got a break from my college studies for about a week. I am managing to keep my daughter's homeschooling on schedule, but we have not had time for the field trips I had planned. I have been helping with sick grand babies and two disabled parents.
My husband was off doing work around his mother's house for the past week and a half. His father passed away in September and she lives 10 hours south of us. My own father is transitioning into a long-term care facility this week (he lives 10 hours north of us) so I understand the challenges of dealing with elderly parents. My daughter's homeschooling has been on the spotty side for the past couple of weeks, BUT at least she's getting plenty of hours to count towards her drama/theatre arts credit.
@gnatsmom (770)
@Platespinner That's the great thing about homeschooling. They don't have to be tied to text books. If she loves theatre, she can learn so much through that.
That's nice that one tree continues to give so much pleasure when most of the rest have gone. Hope you enjoy your Clayton's holiday.
@JudyEv Thanks for the explanation! I've never heard of Clayton's, I wonder if it was only a "thing" in Australia?
@Platespinner It seems it was originally made in London and heavily marketed in Australia and NZ when there was a big push against drink-driving. Wiki says as of 2007 the same thing is now sold in Barbados but as Claytons Kola Tonic and available in Woolworths in Australia under that name. So it does seem it was pretty localised.
@peachpurple (10708)
i don't see any falling leaves yet
There are lots of leaves on the ground here. Far more than on most of the trees.
@peachpurple (10708)
@Platespinner Leaves sweeping now? I thought it should be winter snow?
@peachpurple we don't get much snow here, and what we do get doesn't usually fall until January or February.
We look to Autumn for coloring the various greens to shades of gold red and yellow but the winds get too chilly and while arthritis is on moms side of the family, she does NOT want it to get worse so we walk only if it is over 60 degrees and we are not having too many of those days left at all . . . Glad you managed time off well enough to get some things done
This is the first evening I've been home and not had a mile-long to-do list. I hardly know what to do with myself! I'm really looking forward to the Thanksgiving holiday next week--down time AND time with my family!
@Platespinner I am also looking forward to it BUT I get an earning opportunity also-- see on the actual day of Thanksgiving, Thursday I will assisting in cooking and serving and then cleaning up for a family I have catered to for almost 21 years now that pays me quite nicely every year. I take home almost something or a few somethings every time too . . . Then I get to have my own version of Thanksgiving the day after with me and moms famed stuffed bird, a few unusual addendums like maybe broiled eggplant, pureed squash, mushroom risotto, my home made cranberry marmalade, fresh biscuits, sour cream n chive mashed potatoes and brown-sugared molasses laden sweet potatoes. We are actually 'expecting' 3 guests this year and I do surely hope they can join us . . . keep your fingers crossed and how do I make the perfect flour-less chocolate cake from scratch ?
@sallypup (22016)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Busy you. You sound like you are having a good time, anyway.
I decided a long time ago, that if I was going to have to live this life I was going to enjoy it to the best of my ability!
@sallypup (22016)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Platespinner That's a great attitude.
@RodrickH (1121)
Autumn is the season has fantastic view
It is indeed.
@shivamani10 (10779)
• Hyderabad, India
I really liked this picture. I am feeling quite refreshing memories.
Thank you!
Your free time from the theater is still very busy but like you said a change from the usual can be good.
My life seems to be perpetually busy.
That must really be something to see. Well, at least I have seen pictures of it but I'm guessing pictures don't do it justice.
This is what it looked like this afternoon. It was cloudy when I snapped the photo, the tree looks much more impressive in the sun.
Pictures can only do so much @Platespinner but to me this is still impressive
@rebelann and it's only just begun to turn. We had a hard freeze over the weekend so it should be spectacular in another few days.
@kepweng (6407)
hope you Enjoy Winter too
@Morleyhunt (16757)
The rain this weekend (with high winds) brought down most of the maple leaves. We still have a couple of oaks that are determinedly hanging onto their leaves.