Drop 'Em Already!!!

The maple tree in front of our home belongs to the suburb in which we live. It is not our tree. It is a lovely maple tree in summer, but it is one big mess in the fall and winter. That maple tree hangs onto its leaves for as long as possible, and when those leaves drop, our entire front yard is covered with its leaves. In December, my husband and I are out there raking masses of leaves when it is freezing cold. We often are raking leaves that are covered with snow or on top of snow. It is not easy to pry frozen leaves from the front yard with a rake. When layers of leaves are frozen solid, no way can we suck them up or blow them in piles using our handy blower/vacuum/mulcher. I would not be unhappy if that maple tree died, and an early-dropper-of-leaves tree was planted in its place, but alas, we do not have any say about that maple tree. Stupid tree.
@sallypup (20701)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Pretty tree. I'd love to have a maple tree. Just not the climate for it. My childhood was spent in a country that had vine maples trees in its woods. I miss their lovely sprawl.
It is pretty in spring and summer, but is a problem in fall. Oh well, I just hope we do not have to rake in the snow again. That never works out well.
@sallypup (20701)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 I'm a slob. I never get around to raking leaves. Its good humus for the garden, though.
@sallypup Those leaves are valuable when it comes to helping things grow. Around here, so many have lawn services that keep the lawns really nice, and even those like us who do it themselves do a good job. We need a lawn guy or we need to move.
I know exactly what you mean. We are surrounded by trees, none of them ours, and we are plagued by leaves. I really get fed up with all that raking.
My husband could mow them and chop them up, but they usually drop when there is snow on the ground and mowing snow just does not work out.
We had a big tree right out back of apartment.. we couldnt do nothing about it either. But thankfully when new people took over, they cut down all the trees that were within a certain distance of the apartments.
That is good to hear those trees were cut down. Trees are pretty, but they can be a problem too.
@Corbin5 oh definitely. Every bad storm we thought the tree was going to fall on the house, especially at night when in bed.
have someone take a look at it and decide there.That is what we did her on ours
The suburb usually sends guys around to trim and check the trees, but apparently, the one in the photo is just fine.
@Corbin5 I see.
It is certainly easier to rake the leaves before the weather turns so cold.
One man stopped his car and asked if he could take a picture of all the yellow leaves on the snow. I told to go right ahead. Raking leaves in snow just does not work out well.
• Preston, England
impressive tree - I love maple syrup
It is pretty in summer, but a pain in fall.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 is that just from shedding leaves? That can be a nuisance here too with our trees losing their leaves
@arthurchappell Yes, and when they all drop at once, it is near to impossible to remove them.
Our maples are still mostly green except for the red Japanese maples. I want those leaves down for our final lawn cleanup. Very frustrating.
Yes, having to rake those leaves so late in the season really makes for a lot of work that is even harder if the temperatures are freezing. A gentleman last year stopped his car and asked if he could take a photo of the all those beautiful leaves all over the snow. I said, "Sure." I suppose failed to see the beauty of those leaves all over the snow.
@Corbin5 We now have them blown, but I certainly wouldn't think they looked too pretty on top of snow. Heck, I can't even look at snow anymore! lol
@m_audrey6788 (10309)
Oh my! Why those owners of that tree don`t help you?
Well, the town we live in owns all trees that line the street, so we just have to put up with it.
Well, let the leaves fall on it's own. We use to have this problem with falling leaves when we still have the tree.
Yes, all we can do is rake them up when they fall. It is a lot of raking, but we will get it done.
The nice thing about maples is that they are so pretty in the Fall though. There is one near my bank that turns the most beautiful shade of scarlet during the Fall.
Yes, the maples are so pretty, but I noticed this year, our maple really did not put on a very good show.
Tap that tree this Spring and make maple syrup!
We should. It owes us big time!!!
@cahaya1983 (8180)
That does sound like tedious work. But if the tree belongs to the suburb, isn't the local council or whatever supposed to send people to do the work then?
No, the homeowners have to do to the work. We have to rake the leaves, place the leaves in yard waste bags we buy, and then we have to place a $3 sticker on each yard waste bag to have it picked up and hauled away.
I can't imagine so many leaves off one tree. Our gum trees drop leaves but not all at once. The truly deciduous trees we have are all down the paddock so we don't worry about their leaves.
This one just drops the majority all at once. When the leaves are mixed with snow, there is not much we can do.
That tree seems to be a lot of trouble for you - especially during the winter. You'll probably have to hire someone to rake the leaves.
Yes, as we get older, we will have to hire someone.
Oh joy. You get rake up after a tree that isn't yours.
Yes, the suburb owns it. We also have to place the leaves in yard waste bags and slap on a $3 sticker on each bag to have them hauled away.
@Madshadi (3289)
• Brussels, Belgium
I’m sure there is a way to get that tree removed. Are your neighbors also bothered by it?
No, the leaves do not blow into the neighbors yards, but plop right on our front yard.
@moffittjc (34460)
• Gainesville, Florida
At my last home, I had a beautiful red maple in my front yard, and a beautiful silver maple in my back yard. Although I loved the beauty of those trees during the spring and summer, I could not stand them once they started dropping their leaves each year. Unfortunately, I lost the red maple during Hurricane Frances in 2004, and the silver maple during Hurricane Jean in 2004.
Well, you got to enjoy them until those hurricanes. We have raked those leaves when the temps are below freezing due to the leaves hanging on for too long.
@moffittjc (34460)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 I was very surprised that the one remaining silver maple in my front yard survived Hurricanes Hermine and Matthew last year, and Irma this year. It must have a great root system!
@moffittjc Oh, my. That is a tree that has one fantastic root system. We were pleased yesterday that the high winds blew some of those leaves into the yards of the neighbors. We have raked up the first batch that has fallen, but we will be raking for many days to come.
I see that tree is going to give you problems, especially if we have an early winter.
Yes, one time a gentleman stopped his car and asked if he could take a photo of the leaves all over the snow. He thought that was a pretty sight, but I told him it was not a pretty sight to us, but to just go ahead and take a photo. I should have made him rake the leaves from the snow in exchange for the photo.
@Corbin5 I doubt he would have.
@bluesa (11791)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Oh no, that is a right pain! I hope it will be kind and drop those leaves already!
I hope they drop before it snows because it is impossible to rake them with snow on the ground.
@bluesa (11791)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Corbin5 I will hope that for you too. I have never had to deal with snow.
@dgobucks226 (5976)
That is a dilemma! If only the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz could pay you a visit. He even has his own axe It is a bummer....I have late falling leaves too. The majority our from my neighbor's overhanging huge trees
Yes, we need the Tin Man. Raking leaves mixed with snow is one mighty task.
@Corbin5 And you can never get them all. One wind storm and magically leaves are on your lawn again